2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Help! Terrible MPG - - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:02 PM
ShaunaMarie123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Terrible MPG - - any ideas?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and also a new(ish) neon owner. I have a 2005 SXT 2.0L 4.0cyl neon.
The car was previously owned by a car rental company which I'm told is bad news because rental companies apparently have a history of not taking care of their vehicles. Anyway, I'm having terrible problems with my gas mileage. When I fill up I usually end up around 11.7 gallons, which here in atlanta where gas is $4+/gallon... that's not pretty. ESPECIALLY since I'm only getting around 220miles/tank.
I've done some research and know that replacing my air filter will help a good deal (now if only I could get the damn casing OFF of the air filter...any help regarding THAT would be nice too...) I've put fuel injection cleaner in as well as a new oil filter/change. I am going to get a tune up sometime next week. I guess what I'm asking is A)air filter help?? and B)what's you all's avg mpg? Any ideas other than new spark plugs/tune up/engine cleaning any ideas? similar problems?
Thanks a million guys !

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Help! Terrible MPG - - any ideas?

Something is up with these stupid neons.

I've changed my filter, plugs, wires, oil, and i'm still getting ****ty mileage as well. I average around 25mpg on an ATX with 220 to a full tank in the city.

I'm thinking it's either an o2 sensor, iac, tps or all 3. Because believe me I have spent a good amount of money changing out what "should" have fixed it and DIDN'T. Save your money.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Exubus
Champion

I had the same prob 2 months ago... did all the usual tune-up stuff and then some, still had the problem. No codes. Changed the O2 sensor on a hunch (upstream) and poof!!! I can squeeze 36 mpg out of it again on the interstate...

Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
ShaunaMarie123

IowaNeon04 - I just called a local car repair shop (because no, i can't do it myself) and the guy on the phone laughed at me and told me my 02 sensor wouldn't have anything to do with my gas mileage. But, I think once I can figure out how the hell to get the casing of my air filter off and have that replaced I will give it a try. About how much was it to have it replaced? And I'm assuming that upstream is different than downstream and I would love to know the difference...
(please excuse my car ignorance...)

Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

if the o2 sensor is bad it won't tell u the real reading and will have ur car running rich because it thinks its running too lean

Old 06-23-2008, 11:31 PM
N30N
Record Breaker

yea in need to change mine to.now the o2 sensor you guys are talking about is the one above the manifold right(prity sure).i think its a little shiny gold looking thing thats the size of a thing of chap stick.lol

Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Adionik
Champion

o2 sensor doesn't control mpg?! LMFAO! Maybe he thought MPH on the tach or something.

I will probably buy a new o2 this week. Any idea how to install it? I hear you have to be really careful when handling them

Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

the bracket you have to be carefull with and its really hard to get it out so they say you have to start your car for a few min and turn it off and disconnect the battery quickly and pop it off with a socket set(prity sure)

Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 AM
contagious19
Champion

changing da o2 is easy, screw off, unplug, plug da new one , screw da new one. oh and dat did help my gas mileage. im pushin 32mpg highway, 29 city

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: ShaunaMarie123

IowaNeon04 - I just called a local car repair shop (because no, i can't do it myself) and the guy on the phone laughed at me and told me my 02 sensor wouldn't have anything to do with my gas mileage. But, I think once I can figure out how the hell to get the casing of my air filter off and have that replaced I will give it a try. About how much was it to have it replaced? And I'm assuming that upstream is different than downstream and I would love to know the difference...
(please excuse my car ignorance...)
Well noob, you might as well cut the wires and just yank it out now then since it's just dead weight you're carrying around and not doing anything. lol

IT MOST CERTAINLY has a LOT to do with gas mileage... and yes, the upstream sensor is the one between the cat and head. I changed mine myself... it only takes a few minutes usually. If a chop has to change it for you, labor should be less than half an hour charge. I paid $25 for a Bosch sensor for mine. I'm not saying that everyone needs to run out and change theirs, in my case I really needed a new one due to a fouled old one.

Quick Reply: Help! Terrible MPG - - any ideas?