2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

sound systems vs. udp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound systems vs. udp?

so for all of the horrible power loss issues, i am thinking about not putting on this mpx udp i just bought off someone on this forum. is there anyone out there that would recommend putting this product on with a red or yellow optima battery, and a new alternator? also i know this pulley is smaller, so you have to buy smaller belts to put it on correctly? i bought mine used and no belts came with it, so i think i need to buy them still. my lights dim pretty bad when im bumpin right now, if it does it any worse my whole car might puke. no thanks.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Exubus
Champion
Default RE: sound systems vs. udp?

A higher capacity alternator is a good thing if you want to run an UDP and a big sound system... or you could also try to counteract this by just swapping the stock alternator pulley with a smaller one. Optima red- yellow- and even blue-top batteries work awesome... some guys like to run a red-top under the hood and a yellow top in parallel in the trunk with all the sound stuff.

Or instead of adding all that extra weight, you could just skip the UDP dilemma and pull the 250 lbs of subs and box outta the trunk and free up plenty of parasitic hp right there lol...

Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

man i would just bust azz and hook it up to see what it does.if it S***s on u then F*** it.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie

haha. i agree. my box weighs about 60-70lbs, no joke. seems like it stabilizes the rear with no strut bar. only disappointment would be paying that $300 to have 0 gauge wire ran, other than that i could put a body kit on for the price i could sell my system for.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Exubus
Champion

If you're running 0-AWG, then not only skip the UDP but get yourself a beefier alternator, or have the OEM one rebuilt, something at least between 140-160 amp constant... assuming you really do need that 0-AWG for power.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie

yeah i want to just try it out, and see what happens, but id have to at least put either a new alternator in or a new battery. i wanted to see power gains in my car, not power losses. when im deliverin pizzas late at night and nobodys on the road it looks like i got strobes on my car

Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: magnum04RT
when im deliverin pizzas late at night and nobodys on the road it looks like i got strobes on my car
LOL who do you deliver 4???lol ill tell u pizza hut is the most fattening

Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Exubus
Champion

remember a good battery is only as good as the alternator putting power back into it... remember when your car is on and a system is bumping, your battery is supposed to be just a glorified capacitor at that point... if your alternator cant keep up, you'll toast the battery sooner or later if not other things too. If you run that 0-AWG and you really need it, might want to add two or three 1.0-farad blast caps in there too to absorb the inrush of current from the battery and help prevent drain from the rest of the car

Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie

haha yeah. so anybody interested in a mpx udp for $50? haha. its not even here yet. paypal has been sent. and hes shipping it tomorrow. i could just put a new shipping address on the box. when im bumpin at a red light, i have to rev that mo fo to about 3 and slowly let the clutch go in order to get my bump not to drain out due to already having problems with power.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie

yeah when i spend 600 to get a new amp to push my one 12" sub to full capacity (1000rms) ill be putting another battery in the trunk. ive heard capacitors werent worth the money? but i guess if your bumpin, the more power the better.

Quick Reply: sound systems vs. udp?