2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Wiper Fluid Won't Come Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Fluid Won't Come Out

I am having trouble with wiper fluid not coming out of the nozzles when I try to wash the windows. The fluid reservoir is full. When I try to wash the windows the wipers move but there is no fluid coming out. The nozzles are not plugged. How can I go about diagnosing what is wrong? Is there a pump that draws fluid out of the reservoir through the lines and out on the windshield? If so, how can I check to see if that is the source of my problem?

Thanks for any information or advice!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea pump is on the bottom of the washer fluid bottle... check the fuse for it first... pull off the tubes that are connected to the nozzles and see if you can get fluid to come out of the tubes.... let us know from there....

Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

Originally Posted by Izero
yea pump is on the bottom of the washer fluid bottle... check the fuse for it first... pull off the tubes that are connected to the nozzles and see if you can get fluid to come out of the tubes.... let us know from there....
Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe it was a fuse so I was looking at the fuses before I posted here but I couldn't tell which one was for the wiper fluid pump. Do you know what it is labeled as? With my limit knowledge of things car related a few of the abbreviations weren't obvious to me.

I will check the tubes connected to the nozzles when I get home later.

Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Izero
Champion

np keep me/us posted if anything comes out or not... also listen for the pump you should be able to hear it.... if it doesn't make a sound when u try to use the wiper fluid then its either a blown fuse or a broken pump...

Old 08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

I did notice last night that there was definitely no noise so I figured it had to be a pump motor or the fuse. I'll check the fuses tonight when I get home.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

Just a quick update....haven't looked at the fuses yet but my wife said that the check engine light came on today. So I went out and checked the code and it is throwing P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

It seems the majority of the people who have had this code have changed the sensor and it has gone away. However, most of these people have talked about having a sluggish car and my car isn't sluggish at all. Can the sensor still be bad or on its way going bad or is it something else?

Secondly, and this question is a little dumber....can the wiper fluid pump not working be related in any way to this sensor? Like something electrical being wrong with the car?

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

Another quick update. I checked the fuses and I couldn't find any fuses burnt out. So I guess that means the washer fluid pump is dead. Anyone have experience changing one out?

Also, weirdly enough I went out and checked the sensor and its wires to make sure nothing was loose and then started the car up and the CEL is no longer one so it appears that the issue is resolved.

Now I just have to fix the washer fluid pump.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Izero
Champion

new pump is prolly the way to go :-D invest in a Haynes Repair manual.... it will tell you all you need to know

Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

I went and got one and from a quick scan it looks like it just talks about the wiper motor. I'll have to sit down and do a more thorough reading of the manual it has to be in there somewhere.

I was able to get a good enough view of the pump yesterday and it looks all discolored almost like it had burnt out. After talking with my wife she told me the other day she thought she smelled something burning so that could explain it.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Izero
Champion

lol now the truth comes out.... always the wife.....right....? hahahaha

Quick Reply: Wiper Fluid Won't Come Out