2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Srtgtr34's Audio & lighting Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

srt i have about 600 dollars in dynamat in my car.... it is expensive but well worth it if u want the sound to stay in the car!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Dt I want the city to hear my sound. I like when people walking turn and look cause they hear me coming. I got King Kong in my trunk. LOL. (2008 I had my Neon for a year now and its also the year I joined DF and its the year history was made. Also its my post count.) LOL.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
nineball
Rookie

i hope you have some form of sound deadening or you will sound like a garabge can being towed down the street. quality products not only reduce the vibration but enrich the sound inside. if you are going to invest the money in audio equipment complete the job. would you install a new motor but run it with no exhaust?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
InPsychOut

I agree. I just laugh and roll my eyes when I hear a bunch of vibrating metal roll up to a stoplight next to me.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Kath
Rookie

I'd go with JL audio for speakers/subs. I've tried a number of brands, but JL audio sounded much better & richer, and continued to sound good longer. I've no experience with alpine though... mtx & pioneer have disappointed me one too many times though, so i avoid the brands outright.

Are you going to move the tweeter up to the dash or interior mirror covers? one of the main reasons for having a component front speaker settup is because the treble sounds are very 'directional' and also get muffled easily. Tis why the stock 6-speaker setup has its smaller tweet-midrange front speakers up on the dash in those little round vents I wouldn't want a hole in my door though, just leave the covers where they are and get some new covers to put em up higher in the door or dash.

oh, my personal answer on the rms vs. max power question is that rms is the actual wattage, and peak is how much spike power it can attain when pushed to the point of sounding like crap. I never pay much mind to the peak numbers, they're often largely inflated by the companies anyway. bunch of guys sit around a table and decide how much electricity their component could maybe possibly handle without blowing up... based in no small part on what sounds like an impressive selling point to print on the box in big bold type (with rms in the fine print somewhere).

almost 400 duckets? I'd do it almost for fun, but i'm such a geek.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 AM
nineball
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kath
I'd go with JL audio for speakers/subs.

Are you going to move the tweeter up to the dash or interior mirror covers? one of the main reasons for having a component front speaker settup is because the treble sounds are very 'directional' and also get muffled easily. Tis why the stock 6-speaker setup has its smaller tweet-midrange front speakers up on the dash in those little round vents I wouldn't want a hole in my door though, just leave the covers where they are and get some new covers to put em up higher in the door or dash.

jl does make some very nice woofers, just stay away from the W1 line.

mounting tweeters in the dash is the last thing you want to do. bouncing the sound wavs off of the glass is terrible for sound. i spent about 2 hours placing my tweets all over the interior and found that the best place (for my liking) was in the sail panels (mirror covers). the next best place was directly next to the midrange, on the rear side of the car in respect to the mid, but it did not give me the sound i wanted. along those lines, if you don't want to cut any holes in the door panels you can always use a surface mount.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

I wouldn't have cut a hole in the door panel for the tweeters I would have mounted them on the dash somewhere, but since their is the holes there from the previous owner(s), why not put them to use....

__________________________________________________ _______

They are alot brighter in person, its just my camera doesn't seem to catch it very well. Its perfect besides the one dud for the speedo.

The speakers covers are finished I will have pics of them tomorrow. I ran into some problems with the center bezel so its taking longer than I had hoped, it will be finished soon

Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Kath
Rookie

Originally Posted by nineball
jl does make some very nice woofers, just stay away from the W1 line.

mounting tweeters in the dash is the last thing you want to do. bouncing the sound wavs off of the glass is terrible for sound. i spent about 2 hours placing my tweets all over the interior and found that the best place (for my liking) was in the sail panels (mirror covers). the next best place was directly next to the midrange, on the rear side of the car in respect to the mid, but it did not give me the sound i wanted. along those lines, if you don't want to cut any holes in the door panels you can always use a surface mount.
*nod* interior mirror covers would be my first choice too. for both sound and ease of install. I've seen some dash mounts sound good, some bad. I kinda like the sound from the stock dashmount uppermid/tweeters. I think surface mount dash mounts which angle rearwards tend to sound pretty good generally, or you can flush mount where the dash slopes down a bit so they're pointed kinda up&back sometimes takes a little custom fitting to do that though. I saw somebody install them inside his left & right side air vents, it definitely got points for 'wow neat' if nothing else

I wouldn't have cut a hole in the door panel for the tweeters I would have mounted them on the dash somewhere, but since their is the holes there from the previous owner(s), why not put them to use....
hard to argue with that

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

Srt do you have your wire harness for your head unit? If you get the Scosche brand its easy to spice the harness to the Pioneer harness. Basically all the wires are used. PM me if you have any questions about that head unit. First thing I do is plug up my Nano 3g before I drive off. It was real easy to run the USB cable through the glove box.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Speaker grilles are finished, here are some pics:

I should have my hvac panel done by this time tomorrow so I 'll get pics up of it then...

Quick Reply: Srtgtr34's Audio & lighting Thread