2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Thinking about buying a 4dr., Need Input!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Steeln1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 4dr., Need Input!

Hey people. I am contemplatinig buying 2000+ Neon. I like the looks and need it as a family car with good mpg's. Key me in on what to look for as far as weak points in these vehicles.

Thanks,
James

Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 AM
contagious19
Champion

weak points, i cant really think of any, my 2000 has been reliable since the day i got it.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM
likeke34
Rookie

i initially bought mine to save gas but i have had the funnest time modding this car! didn't expect that... so far it's been reliable for me as well (but with any car you just never really know)... plus i love the look on my gf's face when it only takes about $19 to fill up lol because she didn't think i'd save much

possible weak points:
-correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard all neons have only crank windows in the back (some like it better that way though)...

-although the back seat is sufficient (space wise) for me, my nephews who are around 6' can fit fine BUT, it looks a like they could use a little more leg room (especially since i keep my seat back a bit too), but they say they're comfortable... and it's not even close to the claustraphobia (sp) of riding in a coupe

- can't really think of anything else, besides idiots on the internet who always post "it's still a neon"

great little car, i'd buy it all over again

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-They are good all around cars. We take ours from Ohio to Myrtle Beach a couple times a year with no problems what so ever. From driving comfort to power going through the mountains, everything is just fine. Find one with the lowest miles you can and enjoy these little cars. They're keepers.

L8R,
Matt

Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Steeln1500
Rookie

Alright. Yea, I've heard the "Its a Neon" story too about the 1st gens. There's a couple 2nd gens I am going to be looking at in the next few days. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
NeonOn19s
Captain

I have had no issues with mine. I love it and it works well as a gas saver.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional

They are better then the other cars in the same class/era.

Think about it...what looks better, a 2000 neon? or a 2000 Cavalier 4-door? Or Grand am? Or sunfire?

And they are cheap to run/own/maintain. And easily customized. There are a few flaws yes, but same goes with any vehicle on the road.

Things I have noticed.
1) Interior panels and "things" slowely become loose and make random noises. Those little rods that run inside your doors that are for your locks vibrate with any sort of bass from the stereo(or at least mine does).

2) Engines/trannies need more care then the average 4-banger. Engine tick seems to get worse as the miles add onto the engine.

3) The 3spd auto trannies are notorious for being lame, especially the diffs(Don't like alot of wheel spin in the winter...as I learned the hard way).

These are just my problems not specific to neons either. I think this is one of the best cars I have owned(Not engine/tranny wise but everything else) the only thing that bothers me is all the noises the average neon makes.

Makes me sick.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Steeln1500
Rookie

Sorry guys. Bought a Honda.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Kath
Rookie

I'm guessing 'comfort' wasn't on the priority list then

or maybe hondas are comfy for little people?

I had a honda, it didn't live up to its mechanical reputation, and i felt like a sardine in a sharp edged box. As an auto it did get about the same gas mileage as my neon does with a stick though. In hindsight, i'd definitely be dead if i'd totalled the honda last august (instead of my R/T), the honda was like 500lbs less car.

Anyway, if you found a honda that's not cramped/doesn't have bad ergonomics, and if it is more mechanically sound than mine was, then you'll probably enjoy it. Parts costs are outrageous though.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Steeln1500
Rookie

Eh, you'd be suprised on the comfort level of hondas. Anyway here is a description of the car:

1994 Honda Accord EX 2dr.
2.2L I4 VTEC
Hondamatic
Frost White Exterior
Tan/Burgundy Interior
A/C
Heat
PW, PL, Sunroof, tilt wheel, PS

Paid $1350

I'm by no means small at 6'3". Car fits me perfectly and is very comfortable. Definitely gets great gas mileage. I have previously owned a 1992 Honda Civic 4dr. and a 1995 Honda Civic 3dr. Hatch. They were ok as far as comfort went, but, this Accord is 100x's better. I've never really had to put any money into my hondas other than than the usual maintenance. They always lasted me and had well over 260k on them when I had sold them.

Too each their own though, we all have our own experiences and opinions. I do like the looks of the Neon, but, just could not find one for my price range at around $1400.

Maybe I'll own one another day.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 4dr., Need Input!