2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 AM
se vicious!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt tensioner

wats up guys jus jus got a 2001 neon se in hopes of going srt soon but 4 now need this **** running i jus wanted 2 kno do i hav 2 drop the motor 2 get 2 the tensioner please help!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM
2004SE

Are you taking the tensioner off, or just taking the belt off? To slack the tension, you can get to it without dropping the motor. Just stick a pry bar down there and press against the tensioner to reduce tension. Belt comes off easy enough. Taking it off, I'm not so sure. Haven't had to do that, myself.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by se vicious!
wats up guys jus jus got a 2001 neon se in hopes of going srt soon but 4 now need this **** running i jus wanted 2 kno do i hav 2 drop the motor 2 get 2 the tensioner please help!
What's up guys? I just got a 2001 Neon SE in hopes of having and SRT soon, but for now I need it running. I just wanted to know if I have to drop the motor to get to the belt tensioner. Please help!
Now that it's in English: no, you don't have to drop the engine to change a belt, or to get to the belt tensioner.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM
se vicious!

how would i take off the tensioner theres so little room from the frame to where the tensioner is its just a bad problem 2 have

Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I pushed a crowbar on it and pushed? Worked fine for me. Are you trying to replace the belts, or the tensioner? I suppose that information would be beneficial to know to tell you for certain.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
ccexpress
Rookie

I have the same issue. I need to remove the tensioner and replace it. Does it unbolt or slip off with a pry bar?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You use a pry bar to loosen the tension to change the belt. To remove the tensioner, you have to remove the engine mount bracket (the upside down u-shaped piece that the upper torque strut mounts to) and then undo the tensioner bolt. Something around 17MM I think. Using a wrench would be your best bet for clearance. Since you will be loosening/removing a torque strut, the realign procedure will need to be performed as well.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Ianneon
Default 2005 se belt questions

I have a 2005 with under 60k on it and I am wondering about the drive belt.. its scheduled maintenance to change the drive belt at 60k .. do i need to replace the tensioner as well? do I need to replace it if its not too worn or cracked?? and what brand of belt do you recommend if I do need to change it. thank you for your help!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No, you only need to change the tensioner when it goes bad. As for it not being too worn or cracked, up to you. I don't want to be stuck somewhere for hours because I didn't want to spend the 20 minutes to change the belt. I changed the serpentine belt on my other car simply because it was older. It wasn't "bad," but it was just getting old and was a bit worn. You know, small wear cracks along the ribs of the belt, but nothing major. I stick with Goodyear Gatorback belts. Good stuff.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
contagious19
Champion

Originally Posted by ccexpress
I have the same issue. I need to remove the tensioner and replace it. Does it unbolt or slip off with a pry bar?
i ended up replacing the whole side bracket assebly took me about 4 hours and it was a PITA.

Quick Reply: belt tensioner