2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Shaking when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 PM
houndog97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPM are supposed to drop to 550 ! We have gone through this already ! I just replaced both struts again and it's much better now. I don't think I will ever buy a dodge again after this fiasco ! This is a design flaw and it's driving me crazy .

Old 11-05-2011, 01:31 PM
ramzm
Rookie

Originally Posted by houndog97
RPM are supposed to drop to 550 ! We have gone through this already ! I just replaced both struts again and it's much better now. I don't think I will ever buy a dodge again after this fiasco ! This is a design flaw and it's driving me crazy .
You might be right. I'm sitting in my Dodge Ram now and it's ideling at 600 RPM's. Oh and no shakes lol!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:19 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We do agree the idle is supposed to drop to 550 right?
Originally Posted by darthroush
550 is low for any car though, IMO.
RPM are supposed to drop to 550 ! We have gone through this already !
I didn't realize we all agreed 550RPM is "normal?" I understand a lot of the cars do, but they shouldn't. Correct, "normal" RPMs are 750-800RPM.
EDIT:I want to know if these aftermarket motor mounts are filled with hydraulic fluid like the factory ones supposedly are...

Last edited by darthroush; 11-05-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
houndog97
Rookie

I have it exactly at 5.7 inch space at the top strut and it's still shaking. However the vibration at high speed has gone away. But the very annoying shaking while stopped is still there ! Gonna go out tomorrow and maybe adjust it more, but I'm getting sick of this. Had I known this I would have never bought this car, because one of my pet peeves is a smooth idle. I come from a Linclon Towncar ! LMFAO ! Anyway I'll let you know how it goes, but you are right at 750 it does not vibrate .

Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's supposed to be 4.7", not 5.7. Typo? I went as far as using a digital caliper and measuring the 119.0mm just to be exact. I'm working on finding out if the factory mount is filled. If so, and these aftermarket ones are not...I'm thinking that might be the problem?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
houndog97
Rookie

I think it's a design flaw, and someone should start a class action suit against Dodge. It's got me going nuts here, and I have to put it in neutral at every stop light what a pita. I did back off the motor mounts from the wheel well because it was shaking real bad, i mean real bad . I have the torque measured to exact 4.7 with all new mounts.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I PM'ed user DodgeCares on here, and he looked something up for me.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if it would possible to find out some information about a specific part. We in the Neon community have a very large problem with bad vibrations in these cars. The cars idle low to begin with, for some reason, but there is also a concern with the rear engine mount. I'm trying to figure out if the factory one is indeed a filled mount or not. The aftermarket mounts we commonly replace the factory one with are not filled, so that might shed some light on the issue. Would you happen to know who I might be able to get in contact with to find this out?

Thank you for your time,
Tyler
Do you have a Mopar part# by chance? Or how about a VIN? If you can provide me with either of these I can find the answer to your question.
Should be PN 05086709AA. Thanks!
Tyler,

The updated part# is 05086709AB and that is a fluid filled mount.
Now, here is the reply I received from Anchor, who I believe most of us get our replacement mounts from:
I received your inquiry this morning and your question about the 2947 being a filled mount. I guess you mean hydraulic fluid in the mount. Ours is not, nor was the original.

Regards,

John Leonard
Anchor Industries
I guess the question now is, what's the deal? I'll be sending an e-mail back to Anchor with the part number to see what they say. I have a feeling I already know, but it couldn't hurt. I will also post this up as a sticky so everyone can take a look at it.

The answer seems it may be: we need an expensive factory mount.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM
houndog97
Rookie

I'm not putting another penny into this situation. I have paid 500 bucks and it's money down the drain it's still like it was with the original motor mounts. I hope people reading this will save their money until they figure out what the problem is. It might in fact be a flash ! Anyway please keep us updated and if a attorney is reading this I think we need to start a class action suit and at least be compensated for this fiasco .

Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The flash for my car was supposed to fix idle fluctuations. Mine still clearly does it, so I'm not too sure if that really will fix it.

Quick Reply: Shaking when stopped