2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

My CAI tales.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 AM
Tman52
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CAI tales.

Ok, word around this site the CAI's(Cold Air Intakes) are completely bull**** and useless. Here we go.
So, I have a K&N 69 series typhoon. At about 40% throttle at low RPM it gives off an almost turbo sounding wine. (kinda cool). Anyways, my Neon is definitely faster with my CAI. This is my theory. A lot of times in the turbo car game guys will put huge exhausts on their cars(4+ inch), thinking hey, more flow better, but in all reality it hurts the power, and power suffers because of it. NOW. Most of you are running aftermarket exhausts correct? Those of you hating on the CAI are using aftermarket exhaust. So, isn't it possible that there is too much air leaving thus reducing power gain.

Thoughts, opinions?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:22 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Simply having an aftermarket exhaust will not create the situation you are describing. Have an aftermarket exhaust with tubing that is too big will (i.e.- the 4" exhaust systems you speak of). The goal is to reduce back pressure to as close to 0, but no more. I'm not sure where you are going with it though. Is a CAI on a stock Neon engine useless? Yes. Why? The factory intake system flows more air than the stock engine needs. Putting on an intake that flows even more air when the engine doesn't need it results in a gain of 0. If you want to spend what, $200, for a whistling noise, go for it by all means. If you want that noise for cheaper, take off the air box lid...

That's my theory.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something can be said for replacing that crappy accordion tube that connecst airbox to Manifold.
we all know they split and costs about $180cdn at the dealer. So junkyarding u will go seeing a ton of split ones till you find a good one.

unless the tube picks up air from ground level or externaly from the engiine bay you can't really call it a "cold" air intake rather a warm air intake. engine bays arent cold

Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

I only spent 20bucks for my intake and 20bucks for my reusable filter and im my op all intakes are good for are helping with gas mileage and only reason why I got a dual tipped exhaust is cause everyone else has the single cans around where I live . Plus the dual exhaust looks really nice. Also a aftermarket intake looks nicer for shows than stock .

Last edited by showsxt; 11-01-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

How does it help gas mileage?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

Originally Posted by darthroush
How does it help gas mileage?
-C'mon man. It says so on the box!

L8R,
Matt

Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

So do magnets........ And decals....no wait, that was for speed!!

Dusty

Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
-C'mon man. It says so on the box!

L8R,
Matt
Originally Posted by dustyloins
So do magnets........ And decals....no wait, that was for speed!!

Dusty
QFT. My bad guys

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Whatever most know that have an intake ive been told this by alot and helps my gas mileage. I get 32 in town and 37 on highway since putting an intake in my sxt plus other engine mods! REally not the intake its self its the filter I use. k&n is the best filter ever.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by showsxt
Whatever most know that have an intake ive been told this by alot and helps my gas mileage. I get 32 in town and 37 on highway since putting an intake in my sxt plus other engine mods! REally not the intake its self its the filter I use. k&n is the best filter ever.
Can you actually back up something you say with proof besides with "whatever?" K&N filters flow more air at the expense of filtering ability. My MPGs are close to yours, which isn't too bad since I drive in the mountains. Technically speaking, a paper filter would yield better MPG results because it would place more restriction on air flow, which would result in the engine using less fuel (A/F ratio) to get the same job done. Again, if you don't need more airflow, there is no point in getting an intake system other than for looks and whistling noises.