2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Priorities-

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
CyrilKeir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priorities-

I have three things I need to fix on my 2000 Dodge Neon. I need to know which is more important to fix first. I have an idea, but I'd like to clarify.

Problem 1:
Alignment is messed up rather bad, pushes the car to the right. Plus two front tires. Cost: $190

Problem 2:
The previous owner ran up over a concrete parking stop thing, and smushed the front metal frame a bit. This pushed the air flow system in the front left, back. Now the air flow system is only getting halfway into the air filter box. It's a little difficult to explain, but basically the frame needs to be bent back, so the air system can hook up properly. Cost: $150+-

Problem 3:
The top R engine mount has a rather large crack in the rubber. The bottom R engine mount originally did not have a problem, but now it has a small crack forming. I have no way to tell if the middle mount is ok or not. I imagine if the bottom R mount is just now starting to go, it would be a good idea to replace all three.

Which leads me to a question- What is the best place online/in store to get all three motor mounts, at the lowest cost? I'll take them to a shop to have the shop install the mounts.

Cost: ???

I'm GUESSING the order would be problem 3, problem 1, then problem 2. But that's my relatively uneducated guess.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. you need more than tires
2. you need to have a frame shop check for bent parts (#1 clues #2)
3. I won't worry about this until Frame, chassis and alignment are corrected. Then learn how to look up parts on various auto web sites like autozone, napa, oreilly, rock auto, advance auto parts, pep boys, JC Whitney, Checker auto, Federated auto parts, national auto, etc, etc, etc.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

For the frame straightening ..... Your best bet and the cheapest way not to kill you on the price .. Find a Tech School that teaches autobody that contains a frame machine. You'll have students doing it, but you will have the instructors watching and checking the progress to make sure it's done right. Schools cannot charge for labor only for parts .. How close are you to Eustis/Tavares? Lake Technical is there and they have an auto body class and have a frame machine. IF not close to there then check for local schools and give them a try. The air box situation would probably be fixed as soon as the frame and maybe the core support is straightened for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tech schools cannot just randomly take vehicles from any Joe off the street. That's unethical as the shop is then doing free work taking $ away from shops in the comunity that need to earn a living. There's also a lot of liability for the school to take on when dealing with the general public. When I was in auto class, we could only work on school related vehicles and our own. I couldn't even bring in a friends car even if he signed a waiver.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 PM
CyrilKeir

*crosses fingers and hopes Darth replies*

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 AM
TaterTodd
Professional

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
Tech schools cannot just randomly take vehicles from any Joe off the street. That's unethical as the shop is then doing free work taking $ away from shops in the comunity that need to earn a living. There's also a lot of liability for the school to take on when dealing with the general public. When I was in auto class, we could only work on school related vehicles and our own. I couldn't even bring in a friends car even if he signed a waiver.

Well that was your school and how you were taught. I on the other hand had a different teaching. At one point to raise money for the class and the supplies we needed the school wasn't helping so we repaired and sold cars to make money ... And yeah we would take anyones car that agreed to have students work on them. Not all schools are the same .. As for unethical .. I think you should take that up with WYOTECH also .. they take anyones cars .. my class also had a deal with one of the local crappy car dealerships. We did all the body work on their cars that they would bring us. Simple dents to frame straightening. Thats how I learned how to replace a rear quarter. And the mechanics class next door to us would take any car newer than 1995 ...

Last edited by TaterTodd; 03-06-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you indeed have a bent frame, that needs to be taken care of first. You'll never get a proper alignment if it's bent. Then, check the suspension components that are used for alignment for wear and tear (outer tie rod ends and ball joints) after the frame is fixed. You may as well check the lower control arm bushing too. Finally, you can replace all three mounts; the cheapest, legit place to acquire them that I know of is Amazon.

So, #2, #1 and then #3.

I do agree about checking with a local school for something like this if you feel comfortable with in-training students performing the work. They could use the practice; I doubt they get too many cars with bent frames to practice and learn on. They are also not in it for profit like a regular shop is, so you won't be getting ripped.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yes bodyshop schools are looking for cars to help them along in training and they wont rip you off like darth said. I have taken past cars to schools and they do a really nice job and one of them was frame work. I also agree 2,1 and than 3 and amazon but if you dont want to wait for shipping you can try advance auto if you order online and pick up from store its cheaper than going to store. Also I got my engine mount the trickest out of all of them at a junk yard for 50bucks and it was brand new off a 05 sxt you can try a junk yard and see if theres any new lookin 04s and 05s around.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
CyrilKeir

Originally Posted by darthroush
If you indeed have a bent frame, that needs to be taken care of first. You'll never get a proper alignment if it's bent. Then, check the suspension components that are used for alignment for wear and tear (outer tie rod ends and ball joints) after the frame is fixed. You may as well check the lower control arm bushing too. Finally, you can replace all three mounts; the cheapest, legit place to acquire them that I know of is Amazon.

So, #2, #1 and then #3.

The thing is the frame isn't severely bent. It's just the front left corner, and it's crumpled up a bit. The bottom smooshed upwards, the bottom lip of it where the air flow system hooks up. It's not a "whole frame" thing.

Let me see if I can take a picture.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:19 PM
CyrilKeir

Sorry for the double post- Following are pictures of the crumpled left front frame.

As you can see, the air system is supposed to be hooked up to that bolt/washer on the right, but isn't.

A close up:

So because of that, it is pushing the air system back into the wheel well, as seen in the final picture.