2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2001 neon 3 speed lock up problems, says fuse in dash as soon as i put it into gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 PM
psycho_mike18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 neon 3 speed lock up problems, says fuse in dash as soon as i put it into gear?

(2001 neon) never had problems with the tranny, it just locks up, to early, the fluid wasnt dark or anything, the filter was just, dirty(like it hasnt been changed), hardly anything on the magnet in the pan.
i have a 2000 neon with a bad transmission, if there is anything i should try from it, please let me know. (tranmission worked, just a long story)

but, i just dont understand what it would be, as the transmission itself works fine, pulls great, doesnt slip, catches quick at low rpms, could it be the computer? could it be a short on the tcc plug somewhere, causing it to lock up no matter if its plugged in or not, i read its just basically when its time for lock up, the tcc grounds, and locks it up.
here are the cars ENTIRE issues, maybe someone can figure it out, help me, or point me in a good direction

the car says "fuse" in the gauges, sometimes at startup(if i just sit there for a few minutes), but pops up right away when i put it in drive. . all i can find is good fuses, and none missing. as well, the interior lamp doesnt work, bulb is good, and like i said, the horn, doesnt work, unless the tilt part of the wheel is all the way up, and tightened(you can see where it tightens down to hold it, bare spot and as if it grounds to that, and works).

leading to my main question, could it be a short, something in the valve body? torque converter, or the transmission in general, even though thats the only issue?

AND would it be safe to try a can of seafoam transmission tune, just in case it could be something in the valve body? i know i put lucus in the 2000 neon stated above for parts, and 300-400 miles later, bad tranny probs.

the reason im asking if its the valve body, is i read, it basically floods the converter to make it lock up, that the tcc triggers a passageway for the fluid to go into the converter, flooding it, activating the internal clutch, causing lock up, and is it possible for the TC to lock up in 1st or 2nd? because it will only do it in third..

thanks! all and any help/opinions is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

Do you hear any kind of bearing noises coming from the tranny?

I know they use the ground wires from the frame to the strut for the transmission as a redundant ground, it may affect you transmission adversely.

What makes you think the TCC is coming on too early if it is only doing it in 3rd?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 PM
psycho_mike18

well, ill check the wires your talking about, as well as the car does make a noise, hard to explain, doesnt do it in park, or neutral, just in drive, or reverse. its right there between the engine and tranny somewhere, where it sounds its coming from, like a squeek here and there. not sure what it is, im not sure if it matters, but there is a ground wire, looks as if it goes from the inner fenderwell, connects under a black plug, and goes to the strut somewhere, thats missing on both front sides, would that matter?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

I believe those grounds are used to keep electricity from using the transmission as a ground.

What will happen if you leave it like that long enough is that you MIGHT fry all of your transmission bearings because they become the ground, it has happened before although not super common.

A squeak noise may be a steering or suspension component. Like a bushing or mount, something like that. Tie-rods and balljoints have been known to squeak as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 AM
psycho_mike18

Originally Posted by Moparkyle
I believe those grounds are used to keep electricity from using the transmission as a ground.

What will happen if you leave it like that long enough is that you MIGHT fry all of your transmission bearings because they become the ground, it has happened before although not super common.

A squeak noise may be a steering or suspension component. Like a bushing or mount, something like that. Tie-rods and balljoints have been known to squeak as well.

the noise only happens in gear/reverse when im not moving ,dont know if i stop hearing it or its to quite to hear. but, something happened today, i was backing up 10-15 feet, and it started jerking, and almost felt like it was trying to lock up in reverse, first time its ever done this, and happened after i replcaed the driver side ground wire. still needs the pass side.

is it safe to assume it needs a torque converter?

as well, the fuse thing, always flashes when i turn the car on, just dings when i put it in gear and flashes again.

if the coverter needs replaced, anyone know the best/easiest/fastest (i know thats asking alot lol) to replace this, for this car, if its possible to do it without removing the tranny/engine. thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

If it was the converter it would probably happen in all gears.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 AM
psycho_mike18

what do you think it could be? i checked the plug, if you put a probe in each side, it shows up around a volt under what the battery is putting out, the new lock up solenoid, with a resistance/volt meter says .3, the old one hardly shows any. i checked the grounds all around to the body, there all tight and fine.

it did try to do it in reverse i beleave, when i was backing up it tried to do it, other than that it only does it in 3rd, its like lock up is 3rd gear, i hardly feel 3rd gear, 1st 2nd, then lockup.

any ideas? i have a spare computer, and anything else it might be .like that. please help.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Maybe what you're feeling is your engine mounts.

Poor engine mounts will cause a terrible shudder in reverse.

A locking TCC will usually illuminate the CEL. I would check your car for codes.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
psycho_mike18

i removed the transmission, the car started whining like a power steering pump going out(between the engine and trans), and lost all kinds of power, i removed the pan, to replace the filter, (asumming it was the TC) and found little brass filings, im asuming brass, they are a bronze color, and even a fine powder on one side of the pan. what is ithis? does this have brass bearings?

Quick Reply: 2001 neon 3 speed lock up problems, says fuse in dash as soon as i put it into gear?