2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM
emericaman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put mine on last week and i am getting 34mpg in my 02. not sure what i was getting before that though.. i figure 32-33mpg. it has always been good on gas though.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

Without a C.A.I. in the city i'm getting 34mpg's and on the HWY I'm pulling 40mpgs ... regular tune ups and take it easy on the throttle and you can get the mileage your looking for.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yes have had an ebay intake on for almost 7yrs and have had the same gas mileage has tater with him not having a intake and mines an auto and has over 210,000 miles on her now. Also if you dont wanna go with an intake you can get a drop in K&n also helps a little with gas mileage.

Last edited by showsxt; 07-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
earlyre
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
You'll have to remove the factory air box, yes. The plastic splash guard and tire will probably have to come off, just for installation. That shield goes back on. How long will it take? Depends on your skill. Just take your time and do it right.
i'll 99% agree with ya darth, but you don't HAVE to lose the factory box.
Mine has a CAI, with the tube running through the (Gutted/sliced/diced) factory box. the net effect is when you open the hood it pretty much looks stock. I can try and put up some photos if anyone is interested..

I didn't do the install, so i don't know why it was done this way, (used to be my Brother's Car, he did the install)
my best guess is to try and "hide" the intake from the annual enviro inspection in his part of Texas.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess you could do it like that. I wouldn't want that huge box with all of that "dead space" sitting in the middle of my intake, but to each his own.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
earlyre
Professional

Like i said, not my choice, might disassemble the whole thing @ sometime, and take the empty box out of there. maybe.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I know, I meant more about him doing that. Does the tubing go through the box, or does it connect to it on the sides?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Andrew201183

Thanks for the advice guys. It all went smooth, i got it on last tuesday but havent had time to get on.. but a small concern for me is that air silencer box behind the plastic piece in the fender, my new filter is exposed.. the box came off with installing the new one, should there be something i can rig for it to protect it? is it a problem if its exposed without protection? i dont want any troubles with it.. any advice?

thanks guys!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
earlyre
Professional

you should be good. if i put my head under the fender, and look up like i'm looking @ the back of the side marker light, or underside of headlamp, the filter is right there. exposed to the world..if i pull the driver's headlight, there she is. and besides, you want it in the airflow.
I'm assuming it is the standard cone type filter? k&N sell what they call "dry chargers" basically a fine mesh stocking that slides over your filter, with a hydrophobic (Water Fearing, as opposed to hydrophyllic, or water loving)coating. Can be helpful if you live in an especially rainy, or dusty environment.
I'm sure other manufacturers make similar devices. K&N Link : http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

darth:
goes through, he cut the box, not the intake tube. Fully gutted whatever structure was in there(the box) to hold the factory filter, & cut Slots, or Drilled holes large enough for the black plastic intake tube to pass snugly through.
If i ever would want to go back to the stock intake, i would need to obtain an airbox. i have all the other parts boxed up around here somewhere...

Last edited by earlyre; 07-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I guess as long as the intake tube isn't separated like I was first thinking (CAI to factory box to CAI again), it wouldn't matter. Just a lot of work, lol.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake