2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Tracking down a transmission issue

Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM
DrkSdeOTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking down a transmission issue

I had an accident with my '03 Neon SXT automatic on the front left side. I've been changing out parts little by little to get it working again. Changed out the cam sensor and trans output sensor based on codes. Got the new bumper on, new bulbs, tire, wheel, etc...and thought everything was good to go. Now it's shifting hard from first to second, and sometimes not shifting out of second. When it won't shift it throws codes and won't allow me to change gears unless I shut the car down. I'm getting errors P0700, P0731, an P0736. Since I just replaced the trans output sensor I can only assume that either I got a faulty trans output sensor or the socket for the sensor was damaged in the accident, there's something going on with my transmission fluid (dirty or something of that nature...checked and it's not low and has decent color), something going on with the trans input sensor, or something else outside of my knowledge level. Have a newborn so would rather not guess and change parts one at a time and waste money frivolously as you can imagine. A little help from more mechanically inclined people would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
P0731 is gear ratio error in 1st gear and P0736 is gear ratio in reverse. Does the car move in reverse? The 2nd gear is the fail safe or limp in mode.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 PM
DrkSdeOTM

Thanks for the reply! A majority of the time it starts in first gear and has no issues shifting through the rest of the forward gears, and will shift into reverse. Other times it will shift a bit rough from first to second, but still shift. When I get the code it will not shift out of the starting gear, but I can't tell if it's first or second as the acceleration doesn't seem to be affected, and it still shifts into reverse when this happens. That's the really odd thing. All it takes is shutting the car off, starting it back up, and the problem is "solved". Much obliged for any assistance!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM
DrkSdeOTM

Any chance it could be the shift solenoid? It's just behind (when looking from front to back of vehicle) the trans output sensor that I had an issue with, and on same side. Looked at all the wiring and it's all looks good. Couldn't check for cuts from trans to TCM without removing the protective housing, but nothing looks like it got pinched or anything as the housing wasn't cracked or broken. Would the dealership be able to plug this into a computer and tell me EXACTLY what the issue is so I can fix it myself? I have the codes, but I'm sure they'd still need to get their $80 for plugging in to the PCM. Rather repair myself if it's the shift solenoid, but if all it requires is resetting the BIOS on the PCM I'll be more than happy paying. LMK if you would plz. Best advice at this point?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM
kfink5
Default Automatic Transmission jerking when going from 4th to 3rd gear

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT with a 2.0 and I recently started having problems with my transmission. When driving down the road and coming to a stop sign as I slow down to stop around 20-25 miles an hour I get a hard jerk. I know for a fact my transmission control solenoid is going out because when sitting at a stand still and shifting between gears (P-N-R-D) I can hear a bzz- tick sound but I don't know if that would also affect the harsh kickdown. The transmission fluid is red in color (normal) and no metal shavings so I think my discs are ok (and yes I am using the correct fluid ATF+4) and shifting up when driving is fine it's just when it goes from 4th to 3rd gear. Any ideas I'd greatly appreciate.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That buzz noise is normal. It could still be the solenoid though. It's a 50/50 on what will happen if you replace it, but knock on wood and my plastic keyboard, I haven't had a harsh downshift since I replaced my solenoid.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM
kfink5

Thanks Darthroush, another question i had is i know the a604 41te transmissions were in the dodge neon's from 2001 to 2005 but I found a transmission solenoid out at a junk yard and was wondering if it would work because I have a 2003 and it was a 2001.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 41TE I think was 2002. 2003-2005 are 40TE. 2000-2001 were hydraulic units, something like 30TH or 31TH.

I'd stick with a 2003+ solenoid, newer if possible. They have updated the units over time, so a newer one would be better than the 2003's. The unit I bought had been "updated" within the past year. Neon's are gone, but the transmissions aren't.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
kfink5

Thanks Darthroush,
I've decided to just get rid of the car and sell it for what i can get out of it. I already have a lot of money in it.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
kfink5

Also I took the car to certified transmission and aamco transmission and they both said the tcm says the underdrive clutch volume is way too high which could be caused by the piston inside the underdrive clutch - the assembly online is like $200 but I'm just fed up with the car - don't think I'll ever get another dodge. I'm mechanically inclined so i know i could do it but tearing into a transmission and possibly finding more than i'm expecting is not what i want. The cheapest i can get a transmission anywhere is $700 and thats installing it myself. I've already put on craigslist. wish me luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tracking down a transmission issue