2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Losing oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 PM
buddhaman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I just keep the sensor out and disconnect the dummy light?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
chew*
Professional

That doesn't look like 1 quart a month type of leak.

I would pull the flexible throttle body tube and check inside the intake, likely you will find pooling of oil there.

If so I have a couple fixes, some permanent, some temporary. It should improve performance as well.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

I'll check tomorrow. What are your fixes?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by buddhaman
I'll check tomorrow. What are your fixes?
Temp fix is a catch can inline from PCV to intake, this will just stop oil from entering intake which in turn will burn and carbon up the internals ( valves ) which will cause lost performance. You will still lose oil into catch can but at least you will know where it is going.

More permanent fixxes include replacing valve cover with a gen 1 valve cover, pulling head and installing an oil restrictor near cylinder 4 and having the "return" oil ports in head opened up a tad.

The above can be done in stages, each stage will improve conditions greatly.

I can get you the part # for the oil restrictor ( it's a dodge OEM part )

Old 10-14-2011, 08:18 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

What all would I need for the catch can? I'll try that first and maybe take off the intake manifold and clean it out depending if I have the time or not.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
chew*
Professional

What all would I need for the catch can? I'll try that first and maybe take off the intake manifold and clean it out depending if I have the time or not.
I think without buying the exact item for like high dollars you can grab an aircompressor water seperator.

I also believe some guys found a somewhat cheap plastic filter housing ( fuel filter ) that worked.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Ok, I'm pretty sure I can rig something up. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try the other stuff when I get more money.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
chew*
Professional

Ok, I'm pretty sure I can rig something up. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try the other stuff when I get more money.
The gen 1 valve cover is fairly cheap at a junkyard, it's does indeed help as it reroutes PCV to backside, just make sure you grab the tubing to go along with it.

The issue is the oil restrictor is not small enough in head, so more oil can get to head, then the returns are to small so oil pools in the top, add a right hand turn say speeding up on an on ramp to mix and you can suck 1/8th a quart right down PCV into intake.

My car was eating about 1/4 quart a week which sounds about the same as yours and no oil leaks worth mentioning.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

That could explain it. The last 5 miles of my trip to work is really curvy and I normally do 55-65 on them.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:47 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in the mountains. All of the roads are curvy but I don't think most of the oil is being lost into the intake (last time I looked anyways it wasn't much at all). I still should put a catch can on due to the poor valve cover design. Anyways, those oil pressure sensors can cause quite a bit a oil to come out. They can get loose too. n Mine was only threaded in a few threads. Either way, if there is oil pressure in the engine, it is being pushed out of that port/threads since they are no longer sealed.

Quick Reply: Losing oil