2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Losing oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM
chew*
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some cars eat alot of oil, some don't, no rhyme or reason to it. Some people have even reported there air filter box filled with oil from the vent tube.

The catch can is still a bandaid however it can help greatly as far as performance is concerned due to no longer burning oil in the combustion chamber ( also helps preserve rings as oil burns hotter increasing wear on rings )

The problem can go as far as to get so much oil up in top end ( note under full sustained redline conditions such as racing ) that the bottom end can run dry for a second or 2 increasing lower end bearing wear tenfold.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Ok so next things on my list to do are catch can, clean out intake system, 1GN valve cover, then the head later on down the line. For the intake gaskets, can I just use the old ones with some RTV for the time being? I'm assuming they're rubber since most of the other ones I've dealt with are too.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if I'd call a catch can a band-aid. People with brand new cars (especially those with forced induction) install a catch can. It is an aid, yeah, but not really a temporary fix.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

I have some 1" ID hose, clean cigarette butts, and fittings to make it an inline filter, think that'll work?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
I don't know if I'd call a catch can a band-aid. People with brand new cars (especially those with forced induction) install a catch can. It is an aid, yeah, but not really a temporary fix.
Maybe bandaid is not the exact term but it doesn't fix te overall issue which is to large oil feed. In 1GN they had a restrictor in head, in 2GN they chose to just make the port small in the headgasket, sounded good on paper except the headgasket had a larger hole than restrictor on previous 1gn, add to the fact that they made the oil returns smaller and you end up with this issue.

Forced air induction and or high performance applications and or higher flow oil pumps ( melling 20PSI more than stock ) just compound this issue more and installing a catch can will not and can not eliminate the issue where you can run the bottom end dry due to all oil pumped up top.

Most people that run these cars hard do all of the above + add a larger moroso oil pan and add the catch can for performance reasons.

@ Bud unless using the magnum intake reusing the old intake gasket even without RTV would be something that you would have to determine once removed, if its to squashed i'd just get a new one, they are fairly cheap.

I'd avoid using a filter inline. The intake pulls a significant amount of vaccuum, i'd be concerned with it sucking a filter right down the tube.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

I thought about using the filters and decided on another idea, just waiting for it to dry to try it out. I had a medicine bottle, RTV, steel wool, pens, a 5 hour energy bottle, and some clean hose laying around so I did a little redneck engineering and came up with this:
Name:  IMG_20111015_185546.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  96.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20111015_191228.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  70.9 KB

The duct tape is only temporary til it dries and I paint it. Then I'll get some A/C repair tape as a sort of heat shield.

Last edited by buddhaman; 10-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 AM
chew*
Professional

Should work out ok, it's not under pressure but it will pull vaccum, If you have a vaccum gauge I would block one side and pull some vaccum on it just so to ensure it doesn't casue a vaccum leak.

This is what some users end up using for cheap money but requires bi-weekly checking.

http://www.gasgoo.com/auto-products/...0/1051447.html

For weekly or better users were using something comparable to this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-Air-...b-001b2166c2c0

Last edited by chew*; 10-16-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 AM
buddhaman
Veteran

I thought about that last night and I'm thinking I'll wait a week before I paint it that way once I hook it up I'll have someone in the driver's seat and put the car at different RPM's so I can see if the steel wool stays or if it starts moving around too much.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:06 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the "popular" DIY catch-can. A lot of kits use this same filter. I have used it on another vehicle, and will probably buy a couple for my other cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf.../dp/B000BOAFGO

Old 10-17-2011, 06:36 AM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
This is the "popular" DIY catch-can. A lot of kits use this same filter. I have used it on another vehicle, and will probably buy a couple for my other cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf.../dp/B000BOAFGO
I like that option best

Quick Reply: Losing oil