2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Dodge Neon - had a dealer service warranty - questions about maintanence.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM
HoktFonix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Neon - had a dealer service warranty - questions about maintanence.

So like the title says I have a 2005 Dodge Neon
I had a dealer service warranty which covered all routine maintenance.
Oil every 3,000 - Tire Rotations every 6,000
More stuff every 15,000

This ran out a few years ago as I'm at 90,000 (5 yr/60,000 mile deal) and I've kept up with oil changes every 3k.
I've driven it halfway across the country a couple times and had a shop I really trusted before I moved, so before each time I asked them to look over the car and just tell me what needs to be done.

Where my questions come in is I don't have a record of maintenance since my service warranty ran out and I'm not sure what I need to do and look for.
I just got my oil change and I did it at one of those quick lube shops.
Just like every other time I've been to one of those shops they told me all of the other items that they think I should have done with them.
I'm very wary of these shops doing this and listening to them at all because I took my dad's car into one and before I left the house he said "I just got, this, this, and that done, no fluids need to be changed but they will tell you that fluids need to be changed." Sure enough, I change his oil there and they say I need to change some other fluids too, which was a lie. So now I never trust anything they tell me to change.

The problem that creates though is that I don't know what I actually do need to change and what I don't.
Today they told me to do transmission fluid, spark plugs, and air filter.

I was looking at the maintenance intervals sticky here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...apacities.html

I believe them that I probably need to change my air filter:
Air Filter -
Every 15,000-30,000 miles (for dusty and non-dusty conditions, respectively) for a regular, paper filter.
and
Plugs [Gapped to 0.035"] - Every 30,000 miles (with copper plugs)
However I'm not sure about transmission fluid because at
Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter [ATF+4; 4.0 qts]
Every 48,000-60,000 miles
with my factory service warranty they should have done this at 48k or 60k which would mean that I'm still good for another 6k at least

Also I'm not sure now to change the air filter or spark plugs but I'm currently downloading the service manual. I'm very new to car maintenance but I would just assume that anything I can do myself I will.

So basically I can follow the maintenance intervals no big deal, ONCE I have a record of when I do them....
So I need to know what to look for on all of the maintenance items so that I know when to change them, and once I change them once, then I can just stick to intervals.

tl;dr: Don't know what to look for as to when to change maintenance items, once I do it once I can stick to maintenance intervals, but not sure when to do it for the 'first' time.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Neon - had a dealer service warranty - questions about maintanence.