2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 stx Issues..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM
RCarte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 stx Issues..

I had a problem with my neon this morning on the way to work and not sure if it's something serious I should worry about. here is what happened....

I was driving and my car acted like it was down shifting ( small bump ) then I had to come to almost a complete stop due to trash man getting back in his truck. I then proceeded to try and accelerate at which time the car wouldn't rev past 3k rmp's and the car was sputtering as long as I had my foot into the gas pedal. I could drive and accelerate slowly up to the speed limit but not get on it. I got my car home and waited for AutoZone to open so they could run the codes and it said camshaft position sensor, possible timing issues,and Cylinder misfire. What is puzzling me is that as rough as it ran getting it back home once I shut off the car and restarted it later it was like nothing was ever wrong with the car it ran fine and could again accelerate past the 3k rpm limit I had earlier. I'm not sure how I should address this issue and I know I don't want to break down tomorrow heading to work. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Jeremy Sweat

I had almost the exact same issue with my 05 sxt. Only difference being that i only had a code for my cam position sensor. I replaced it and all problems solved. So if i were you i would start there, the sensor is pretty cheap and its very easy to install.

Also, turning off and back on my car would temporarily fix the problem for me too.
Good luck!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:07 PM
RCarte

Ty for the info I'll try that out.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
SaskNeon

I have the exact same problem. It did it months ago when I was in a huge line up at a traffic light. Stop and go and I almost stalled it. Lights were green, started driving and "bing" the light came on. It had no power and wouldn't rev above 2000u/min. Pulled over, did the dance with the key. P0340. Camshaft Position Sensor. Started the Neon and ran without problems but the light stayed for 2 more days.

Today, after driving for an hour constantly with the cruise at 110km/h and 2500u/min, bam, light on and no power on the throttle anymore. Same procedure. Ignition on-off-on-off-on. Same Code. Started the car and ran perfect, but the light is still on.

I'm going to get a new sensor on the weekend, but my question is, if the sensor has a special position or better the camshafts. Do I have to crank the motor to the top dead point before I take the sensor out to change it or is there a groove inside so that there is only one way to mount the new one?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

No.. just take the sensor out and install the new one.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 AM
SaskNeon

Thanks for the advice. Changed it today. Works fine.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
SaskNeon

Ok guys. I guess I need help again, cause the problem is NOT solved after I changed the Camshaft Position Sensor. Car broke done 2x today. Same Error Code. P0340.

The motor power was gone again and it wouldn't rev over 2000rpm. Turned it off and back on and it works. Check Engine Light turns off after a day.

The plug of the Sensor is clean and not corroded. The Neon is completely original, except an after market remote starter. I have the problems in warm or cold outside conditions or if the car (motor) is cold or warm. Air filter is new. Spark plugs and cables are OK. even everything under the hood looks great, almost new. it has only 61000km on the clock.

After I post this I'm going to check all the plugs and connections under the hood and look for the fuel filter.

Does anybody have an idea what the problem is? When I changed the camshaft sensor I noticed that that disc behind the sensor was lose. I tighten it. Are there maybe some other things lose around the camshafts?

Is that Error P0340 maybe connected to another Error which doesn't appear? Like, my workmate had once an Error with his RAM which showed Break light Switch, but the Speed Sensor for the Speedometer was fu...ed.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The disc behind the sensor...the cam magnet? That can become cracked and cause the P0340 code and subsequently, same symptoms. The sensor wiring itself can be the problem. It could be broken or grounding out on something. If the wiring or magnet are bad, you can replaced the sensor a billion times and still have the problem. Everything needs to be checked out: sensor, sensor wiring and cam magnet.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM
SaskNeon

Thanks Darthroush, makes sense what you're saying.
I'm going to take the magnet disc out and check it. I highly doubt that it's the wiring, because the problem doesn't appear more often or instantly when I drive a bumpy gravel road. But when I got the sensor out to check the disc, I'm gonna take the cable-protection-hose off the wires and see if their is a problem.

I was just wondering if something else could be behind that Error Code.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SaskNeon

I was just wondering if something else could be behind that Error Code.
...a bad PCM.

Quick Reply: 05 stx Issues..