2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 PM
benjieman88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

Modern Performance

Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 PM
benjieman88

:QUESTION:

how much boost or max Torque can the SRT4 2.4L DOHC handle?

Old 09-16-2006, 03:23 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: benjieman88

:QUESTION:

how much boost or max Torque can the SRT4 2.4L DOHC handle?
The stock internals can handle at least 500whp/wtq i believe...because rememeber, actual boost numbers are irrelevent.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 PM
speedumn

i have a 05 se it has no tach and i want to put one between the radio and top dash.(where the boost gauge is on the srt4). does anyone know how that gauge is mounted on their or how i could mount a 3 inch tach on their. i really don't want to but i will cut my dash and fiber glass it. but that is a lot of work and i don't want to put a pillar pod on the left cause they are to small. if anyone has an idea please send me a message or something, cause i don't know how i found this room thing.. thanks guys. one mod i would do is a k&n filter but it's for a 2004 and it's call the tycon it will work for the 05 and will give you 6.2hp at 3800rpm. i have many more mods to so just write me.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

you can get the factory srt gauge to fit right where your talking about, but one that small wouldbe rather impractical. you could fairly easily swap out an sxt cluster. it would give you a much cleaner look than mounting a huge tach on your dash.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:16 AM
tyler819
Veteran

I have a 2002 neon R/T that came with 150 hp when i bought it. It only has about 25,000 miles on it so i decided to put some money in it to see how fast i could make it.

The mods i have done so far to it are:

1. Cold air intake(resently took off the large pipe and just hooked up the filter to the throttle body and left the rest of the cai on it. It seems to have more power and it whistles so loud that it sounds like a turbo.)
2. Got a pacesetter header and took off the cat (had to get an o2 sensor for the cat to turn off the engine light) and replaced it with a 2.5' pipe. From that pipe it goes down into the stock 2.25' pipe all the way to the muffler, i left the 2.25' pipe because its already big enough and i dont have a turbo.
3. I got the large and restrictive dual exaughst muffler cut off and replaced with a single carbon fiber muffler that has about a 4.5' tip and sounds rely good and looks rely good because i got it put at a drift angle.
4. Got prothane racing motor mounts that rely made the handling and acceleration better and only costs about $25.
5. Getting lighter rims realy made a big performance and visual differance in my car as well. 205 r16 that weigh about 16lbs each and are wrapped in really nice Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires.
6. Got an MDx underdrive pulley that makes more power.
7. B&M short shifter which allows me to shift quicker and spin tires more switching from 1st to 2nd gear.
8. Upgrading my spark plugs and wires made it run alot smoother and saved some gas mileage too.
9. Got a Strut bar that makes a handling differance for only about $75.
10. Got Eibach pro kit lowering springs that lowered it about 1.5' and made a huge handling differance. Only downside is that it rides a little rougher over bumps.
11. My car already had the srt4 spoiler on it when i got the car and i have put on a nice evo vii style carbon fiber hood that really lightens things up.

All of these mods made a huge differance. So much that i can easily beat acura rsx s-types(210 hp), and i can keep up with and have beat stock srt4's. The next mods i want to do are a high flow intake manifold and maybe high compression pistons and a new camshaft.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:27 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tyler819

I have a 2002 neon R/T that came with 150 hp when i bought it. It only has about 25,000 miles on it so i decided to put some money in it to see how fast i could make it.

The mods i have done so far to it are:

1. Cold air intake(resently took off the large pipe and just hooked up the filter to the throttle body and left the rest of the cai on it. It seems to have more power and it whistles so loud that it sounds like a turbo.)
2. Got a pacesetter header and took off the cat (had to get an o2 sensor for the cat to turn off the engine light) and replaced it with a 2.5' pipe. From that pipe it goes down into the stock 2.25' pipe all the way to the muffler, i left the 2.25' pipe because its already big enough and i dont have a turbo.
3. I got the large and restrictive dual exaughst muffler cut off and replaced with a single carbon fiber muffler that has about a 4.5' tip and sounds rely good and looks rely good because i got it put at a drift angle.
4. Got prothane racing motor mounts that rely made the handling and acceleration better and only costs about $25.
5. Getting lighter rims realy made a big performance and visual differance in my car as well. 205 r16 that weigh about 16lbs each and are wrapped in really nice Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires.
6. Got an MDx underdrive pulley that makes more power.
7. B&M short shifter which allows me to shift quicker and spin tires more switching from 1st to 2nd gear.
8. Upgrading my spark plugs and wires made it run alot smoother and saved some gas mileage too.
9. Got a Strut bar that makes a handling differance for only about $75.
10. Got Eibach pro kit lowering springs that lowered it about 1.5' and made a huge handling differance. Only downside is that it rides a little rougher over bumps.
11. My car already had the srt4 spoiler on it when i got the car and i have put on a nice evo vii style carbon fiber hood that really lightens things up.

All of these mods made a huge differance. So much that i can easily beat acura rsx s-types(210 hp), and i can keep up with and have beat stock srt4's. The next mods i want to do are a high flow intake manifold and maybe high compression pistons and a new camshaft.
At a glance the only things i could recomend are to ditch the Pacesetter header and buy a Long Tube Header that will actually give you gains, because the Pacesetter is worse than the stock Magnum header (the stock R/T header is the same as a Borla) in both quality and "performance"...replace the B&M with a Maddog 70% reduction STS, and ditch the "carbon fiber muffler" because that is doing absolutely nothing for you except make noise...
As for your future plans, the stock Magnum Intake Manifold doesnt get much better than that until you go to custom manifolds...as for the camshaft you should go with a Comp 400 which was specifically desinged for the Magnum head or a Crane 14.

And i dont mean to sound harsh or anything...but there is no way in hell you could even keep up with a stock SRT-4 with the mods you have listed. The Acura RSX Type-S i can believe because they are torqueless like all Hondas but the SRT-4 not a chance.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 PM
tyler819
Veteran

How is the pacesetter worse than the stock header? I felt more power after i put in the new header over stock. However if im wrong "again" then its ok because the pacesetter only costs like 150$ so its not that bad of a loss. Plus i can always put the stock one back on. And when i said i beat s-types i was dead serious, and wen i said i can beat stock srt-4's i was lieing, and wen i said i can keep up with a stock srt-4 i was serious too but i raced them from a stoplight and all they did was spin tires and i got ahead of them untill they gained traction aqnd eventually passed me. But from a roll i know one would beat me because they are crazy from 2nd gear i know because my grandpa has and srt-4 acr, and ive driven it alot. Its stock right now besides a bov and a boost controller, which i talked him into getting. I dont know how to work it so my friend who drives a 500 hp subaru wrx came over and turned up the boost for us a little bit. All that made it really sound good and it made more power. My grandpa rarely drives it so wen he goes out of town or lets me take it out i go around racing ppl, its pretty fun. And since its an acr it also handles really good, thats the main reason we bought the acr because i autocross and we take it to the local autocrosses. I'm thinkin about stealin it from him lol. Ive never raced him but if i did it wouldn't be pretty because hes the best driver i know because he autocrossed and drag raced for like 18 years.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tyler819

How is the pacesetter worse than the stock header? I felt more power after i put in the new header over stock. However if im wrong "again" then its ok because the pacesetter only costs like 150$ so its not that bad of a loss. Plus i can always put the stock one back on.
Ok, the stock R/T header is made by Borla, it is the exact same header that Borla used to sell for around $300...the only difference being the Borla unit came with a fancy anti-rust/heat coating to reduce heat and rust. Pacesetter is an economy brand and no where near as good as Borla in any aspect. Now if the stock R/T header is basically an aftermarket Borla header, how did you get any gains from it? The ONLY header that will give gains on an R/T is a Longtube Header or the new MPx Mid-Length Header for Magnum engines. I dont mean to hate but thats the way it is. Even putting an aftermarket short header on base Neons will yield very little gains, because even the base Neon header is very well designed for what it is. Your off to a good start as far as modding your R/T goes, but you just wasted that $150...it happens, you just have to do the research before going out and making a purchase.

And yeah, you need to steal that SRT-4 from your grandpa...damn i wish my grandpa was like that and owned an SRT-4!!

Old 10-15-2006, 11:49 PM
tyler819
Veteran

thanks for the advice man. U seem to no alot about cars so wenever i have a question i guess ill ask u. And that srt-4 almost got destroyed today because of some dumbass bitch that cut me off by switching into my lane. I had to slam on the brakes and jerk the wheel almost going off the road or else she would have pushed me off the road. lol she was in one of those new mazda turbo suv's and wen i had the chance my grandpa told me to get in front of her so i downshifted and flew by her with my middle finger out the window. She tryed to catch me because i pissed her off but i was goin too fast. it was pretty funny.(except for almost dieing)

Should i just put the old header back on? I saw a race header by ODX on modern performance that comes with the downpipe to replace the cat for like 209$. Its supposed to be stainless steel.

Quick Reply: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.