2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:02 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

ORIGINAL: tyler819

thanks for the advice man. U seem to no alot about cars so wenever i have a question i guess ill ask u. And that srt-4 almost got destroyed today because of some dumbass bitch that cut me off by switching into my lane. I had to slam on the brakes and jerk the wheel almost going off the road or else she would have pushed me off the road. lol she was in one of those new mazda turbo suv's and wen i had the chance my grandpa told me to get in front of her so i downshifted and flew by her with my middle finger out the window. She tryed to catch me because i pissed her off but i was goin too fast. it was pretty funny.(except for almost dieing)

Should i just put the old header back on? I saw a race header by ODX on modern performance that comes with the downpipe to replace the cat for like 209$. Its supposed to be stainless steel.
The OBX header is much better quality then the Pacesetter, but it still wont give you any more gains then the stock header. The downpipe will delete your cat, so if your not worried about getting rid of the cat then just buy a Longtube header from Kirk or TTi, it will give you gains over the stock header.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 AM
tyler819
Veteran

where can i get one of these longtube headers?

Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx...c_magnum.shtml

^MPX Mid-Length

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx...g_header.shtml

^Kirk Longtube Header **I suggest this one**

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=50

^AF/x Longtube header

I cant find my links for the TTi stuff but i'll try and find it.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:03 AM
tyler819
Veteran

how much hp gain do u think ill get if i take off the pacesetter and the downpipe and put on the kirk header?

Also how much do u think it should cost to do that?

Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tyler819

how much hp gain do u think ill get if i take off the pacesetter and the downpipe and put on the kirk header?

Also how much do u think it should cost to do that?
I couldnt give you a specific WHP gain, but ballpark will be 5-8whp in the mid-range and top-end. Your low end power will feel very weak because the top-end will become much more lively. Not really sure on cost for installation but you will need the muffler shop to weld in a spot for your 02 sensor after the header, otherwise you'll be throwing a CEL forever...

I can give you an example for power gains, there is an R/T with basic mods, CAI, UDP, STS, LTH, and a Comp 400 cam who runs a 15.1-15.3 in the 1/4 mile. Since you dont have the cam yet you should be in the mid 15 second range...compared to stock which is 15.9 or so.

Oh and make sure when your order the Kirk from MP that they know it will be for an R/T so they can give the right one for the Magnum head.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 AM
tyler819
Veteran

i looked at the picture of it and the header has two o2 sensor holes, one at the beginning and one at the very back so i think it would be ok. Also i have an 02 simulator on the second one already and my cel isnt on anymore. So if i dont have to get a hole cut for the second one, do u think i could put it in myself? I wouldnt have to weld it would i?

Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

No, you wouldnt need to weld it since you could just use clamps. Welding would obviously be the best way, but it isnt necessary. So yes, you could install it yourself and it should be a very simple install.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 AM
tyler819
Veteran

one last question about the header lol sry. Wat makes the long tube header better than just the stock one with a downpipe instead of the cat on it. Isnt it more free flow to go into a 2.5' pipe than to stay in separate tubes untill it reaches the 2.25' piping? Wats the advantage?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM
tyler819
Veteran

I ordered the kirk racing header today with the magnum gasket. I got it from modern performance for 230$. I have access to a lift so i guess im just gonna unclamp the pipe and unbolt the pacesetter and then bolt on the kirk to the engine and reclamp the other end to the rest of the exhaust. I asked him and he said that the header has two spots for both 02 sensors so im just gonna hook those right in. It sounds pretty simple but idk how hard it will be to put the new header on the back of the motor since theres not much space. And hopefulley the other endd fits right on the exhaust so i dont have to get a special pipe bent.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:50 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

spend the money on a complete howell race motor its worth it. get a loan and get it over with.

Quick Reply: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.