2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Clearence issues on exhaust set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearence issues on exhaust set-ups

Hey guys. Now that I am interested seriously in getting my exhaust, i was wondering which exhaust set-ups have caused people problems or lack of problems in the past. I am looking to build up a list so i know which Exhausts Do and Dont have clearence issues on the stock bumper. I have seen some that have the exhaust tube pressed right up to the bumper and some that have a down pipe effect for clearence (aka such as borla). Anyways, help would be great from you guys. I was going with the standard:

Borla Headers
New Cat (help here to would be nice)
Magna Flow High Flow exhaust or Borla (both being 2.25 inch piping)

thanks for any help.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:56 PM
tmp0404
Default RE: Clearence issues on exhaust set-ups

Greetings,

I just had installed a Vibrant axle back exhaust. The person that installed it for me, said he only made a very slight modification to hangers so the rear tips were a little bit closer to the rear bumper. BTW, the Vibrant system looks great, it's stainless steel, and has a nice sound. I'm very pleased with it so far, and it was priced right. I bought it from modernperformance.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Ataraxio

Is the Vibrant exhaust at modernperformance.com just an exhaust or a cat-back exhaust?
Im thinking on getting this one because of the price and i saw it in a car (pictures) and it look nice.
I hope the sound and quality are good

Old 01-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Somethingdirty
Professional

I doubt you can get the borla headers now.
I called MP a few days ago ready to order them, and they said
Borla discontinued them.

This sucks, I don't know what kind of headers I want.
I really don't want to go cheap, I want good stuff.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

alright, to put another question ontop of the piling questions, do i need a new cat-converter or do exhuast kits like borla and magna flow come stock with high flow converters.[8D]

Old 01-19-2006, 05:35 AM
joejunior253
Rookie

well i went to this place called waltz it is an autoparts store(i dont know if they aree international or only in washington). anyways i got dual magnaflow exhaust plus a free tune up with purchase for a little more than $300. i bought it under an account though. my dad had 4 of them put on. one on his avalanche, my moms escalade and my sisters jeep(her wasnt dual though) so i think i might have gotten a deal. but i am very satisfied with it. nice crisp low and deep sounding. no honda rice rocket stuff like you hear with those p.o.s.'s you know. so if you were thinking about going with magnaflow i would highly suggest it.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
tmp0404

Regarding the Vibrant exhaust, it is an axle back system, stainless steel muffler and dual exhaust. Per the guy that installed it for me, plus he works at a Mieneke, he indicated that putting on a cat back system might not make too much sense. The pipe from the catalytic converter is pretty straight, mine on my 02 was in very good shape, so why replace it. Again, I think the Vibrant sound good, and even more importantly, it has a really nice look. Again, per my mechanic, it was very easy to install, with minimal modifications.

Good luck in you exhaust selection.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:09 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Vibrant on my wifes car in about 10 minutes and it only took a pair of gloves, a can ofWD-40 and I think it was a 15mm wrench. It is an axle back which unless you have done alot of other mods should be fine. It doesn't hug the bumper cover but I do think with a little modification to the hangers it could be adjusted to. I, myself like the way it looks bolted on right out of the box, and it doesn't have that fartcan sound. It's low and throaty and sounds really nice.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
lblackneon
Champion

The Pacesetter cat-back has a good position around the bumper. I just wish I would have spent the extra money and got the top of the line (highest quailty) exhaust.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

eh, kicking a dead horse now but instead of posting a new thread Ill just post it here in hopes someone doesnt kill me for reviving this old thread.

Does anyone recommend any good heat treated headers aside from the discontinued borla ones? I was about ready to buy one until somehting dirty said that. I have heard Pacesetter doesnt fit too nicely right out of the box. True or false?

Quick Reply: Clearence issues on exhaust set-ups