2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

K&N Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
mike9fore
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filters

W/O a CAI do you really see a boost in performance with just changing from the stock type air filter??? I know that K&N filters are made of alot better material yet, with a bone stock Neon would you feel any noticeable performance?? The reason for my asking is I don't want to get a ****ty CAI off of ebay....and for the time being I would be up to trying there Wonderful Air Filters......
any experiences???

Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 PM
nicks2kes
Veteran
Default RE: K&N Air Filters

i say just go with the CAI kit, dont waste money here and there just get the whole cai either aem or k&n u wont be dissapointed

Old 12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

You will see a small gain switching to a good filter like a K&N, but I honestly don't see the reason unless you HAVE to keep it stock like for auto-cross purposes.

I say save the money and buy a CAI. The Ebay ones, from what I hear, are not bad. Pick up a K&N filter and a CAI from ebay and I havent heard bad things out of that combo. If you dont want an Ebay CHEAPY... go the route of finding an actual full CAI. AEM and K&N make them and it will run you about 200 with shipping. Pretty cheap either way.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

you can save a ton by just poppin the top off your airbox and putting on a cone filter. $25 youll see the same gain as a cai.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
04 mo neon
All Star

I popped the top off my air box a llllllloooooonnnnnnggggg time ago and it sounded cool but never did anything for performance, as I've said many times before, just get a CAI off ebay you will not be dissapointed.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:51 AM
ewetho
All Star

I have a K&N Typhoon and it is very high quality stuff and sounds outstanding, but performance you can feel??? Only the ear drums.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: fullbuilt

you can save a ton by just poppin the top off your airbox and putting on a cone filter. $25 youll see the same gain as a cai.
That is true. I ran my car like that for a long time. Well I actually took the entire air box out and threw an air filter on my throttle body. I broke down and bought a K&N CAI and installed that. The biggest difference between the two that I could tell is 1.) the noise was louder with the CAI, 2.) low end torque was better with the CAI as well. But just tossin the filter on there will throw your powerband up high. A cai will as well. I picked up 2 mph and .3 seconds in the 1/4 mile from my best stock time to a time with exhaust and filter.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:37 PM
mike9fore
Veteran

ORIGINAL: LowSlowNeon

ORIGINAL: fullbuilt

That is true. I ran my car like that for a long time. Well I actually took the entire air box out and threw an air filter on my throttle body. I broke down and bought a K&N CAI and installed that. The biggest difference between the two that I could tell is 1.) the noise was louder with the CAI, 2.) low end torque was better with the CAI as well. But just tossin the filter on there will throw your powerband up high. A cai will as well. I picked up 2 mph and .3 seconds in the 1/4 mile from my best stock time to a time with exhaust and filter.

I seen the pics of your car with the Filter connected to the TB but, how did you get it to stay in place??

Old 12-09-2006, 07:24 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I had a piece of sheet metal and I bent it and drilled holes to connect to the throttle body. Then it ran from the battery tray to the other side.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

just be wary of the 'cheap' CAIs, as sometimes their filters arent the greatest qality. I have a K&N drop-in if your interested, now have a CAI.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filters