Synthetic oil v.s. Dino oil v.s. sythetic blends

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Synthetic oil v.s. Dino oil v.s. sythetic blends

ORIGINAL: djmagic

I think I meant that I just have exhaust. Personally I think blends or full allow the car to be pushed more performance wise.
Blends don't offer more quality than conventional oil. Just make your wallet lighter.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:45 PM
kayakman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '01 Chyrsler Neon with 170,000 +kms and I use 0W-30 semi blend, because of price and easy to find. Got rid of the piston slap dance in the morning too. No knock at -20C this week either.
Good oil info guys

Cheers KayakMan

Old 01-20-2007, 01:27 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Well all the science has been covered pretty well, so I wont even open my mount since Ewetho said everything that could be said pretty damn well...

My personal choice is Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 with the Mobile 1 Extended Performance filter...I used Mobile 1 5w-30 for over a year and I found it caused a massive amount of oil consumption (so much that I thought I had a leak somewhere, or a possible problem internally), a problem that I keep hearing more and more about with the new Mobile 1 synthetic oils. In a 7k change interval I had to replace almost 2 quarts of the Mobile 1 oil, and with the Penzoil I didnt have to replace any in the same 7k interval. Plus its like $1.50 cheaper per quart, and I havent heard (or have) a single complaint about the Platinum...

Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I've used Amsoil (no problems, but too darn expensive thanks to its MLM sales system), Mobil-1 (again no problems and I can get a 5 quart jug at Wally World across the street for $22). I've had several people trying to talk me into Royal Purple.

Dusty

Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

... I've had several people trying to talk me into Royal Purple.

Dusty
DO NOT use Royal Purple in your car if all of the following are true: it's winter, your car is a daily driver, and you hope to change your oil in intervals of no less than 3000 miles. I tried Royal Purple 5W-30 two years ago. My car had only 5000 miles on it or so when I put it in. Within 1800 miles, the stuff literally looked like black WD-40, and my valve cover was coated with foam like you wouldn't believe. It was winter, so the oil had to work harder, and obviously it had no long-lasting hydraulic properties whatsoever so it destroyed itself fast (and btw, the filter had flow with no defects that I could find). If you have a nice 1/4-mile car and you change your oil after ten passes, then this oil has it's benefits... but if you put it in your daily driver, beware... my Neon hated it.

As for the Pennzoil Platinum, I'm willing to give that a shot next time around... although Mobil1 used to hold up pretty strong over time, it seems like their viscosities were all on the thin side... we'll see, I've heard good things about the new Pennzoil.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:08 AM
ewetho
All Star

Used oil analysis has not been too kind to RP. stick to Pennzoil Platinum or if you are the long drain interval guy Amsoil.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cummins Engine company official position is to use Synthetics in transmissions and gearboxes, but use dino in engines and change it more frequently:

http://www.cummins.com/na/pdf/en/pro..._Whitepape.pdf

Old 01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
ewetho
All Star

ORIGINAL: das2123

ORIGINAL: ewetho
Semi-synthetics probably about 7500 but several posts of Mobil 7500 have not been to good at 5K.
Semi-sythetics or blends ARE A WASTE OF MONEY.

ORIGINAL: ewetho
For Synthetics for a Group III
True synthetics are Group IV not Group III oils. True synthetics offer superior cleaning and lubrication. The only true synthetics out in the US market are Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, Redline and Amsoil.
Better watch out.....
Pennzoil admitted by Pennzoil is Group III for a while now. No longer Group V. They are now using their GRPIII from Shell Helix.
Mobil1 has been found to be Group III now and more and more formulations are changing indicating most of the line is now Group III

Yes both of those have Group IV and V components but also mostly Group III.

Redline Group V
Amsoil unless the API certified oil Group IV API oil is Group III.
Royal Purple is Group IV with Group I for a carrier oil for additives.

Castrol German Made 0W-30 is Group IV but thicker than almost all 5W-30 above about -20F.

Any Questions.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
tyler819
Veteran

can you get 0w-30 in pennzoil platinum? So pennzoilplatinumis better for my car as a daily driver than RP?

Old 01-20-2007, 08:50 PM
ewetho
All Star

Pennzoil does not list a 0W-30 but PP has numerous times shown better used oil analysis than RP. However there are a some good RP samples too. Just almost all PP ones are fantastic.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil v.s. Dino oil v.s. sythetic blends