2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Synthetic oil v.s. Dino oil v.s. sythetic blends

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
NeonAngel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic oil v.s. Dino oil v.s. sythetic blends

Forgive me if ya'll have said somthing about this but, I use Valvoline for cars over 75000 miles, seems to be runnin good with that, i used 10W 30 valvoline before the high milage stuff and i changed it usually at every 3000 miles, the oil was dark black, thats bad right?.. one thing i don't know about cars is oil and gas stuff, additives and things like that. I added a half quart of high milage stuff to the oil, so far so good i let ya know if the oil is dark this time when i change it cause this is the first time i am using the over 75000 miles stuff. And yea my car is over that it is sitting at 79000 miles now lol.. what kind of additives is safe to use on the car, oil and gas types. its my 2004 Neon SE

Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Exubus
Champion

I wouldn't add any additatives to your oil... find a nice high-quality oil that you are happy with, and use just that (no Slick-50, no Prolong, no Z-max, or anything else)... just a good oil. Do not do an "engine flush" either... just use a good oil and change it as scheduled with a quality filter. WIX, Mobil1, K&N, and Mopar all make quality oil filters.

As far as gas, you might want to use a mild injector cleaner every8000 miles or so (Prestone makes a decent one that also claims to clean the fuel filter... this is important), but no more often than that. Most gasolene sold today has over five times the detergent agents in it than it used to in the past, so nowadays the fuel systems on newer vehicles stay a lot more clean and efficient than they did in the past.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 AM
NeonAngel

Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:20 AM
ewetho
All Star

As far as the oil being black, just means it is doing its job cleaning. If you are on the 3K oil change rest easy. Oil additives are not that great. Few exceptions that help boost additive packs but really that MaxLife stuff is fairly popular over at the BITOG even though the regular stuff is almost a plague (OK I am exaggerating but not known for a robust additive package).

Good oil with reasonable OCI and you'll do fine. If you are a Valvoline fan then great. If you used the Valvoline HM oil addive then don't sweat it. Just use the HM oil and be done with it.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Mobil 1 in my SRT-4 and Castrol GTX in my RR and I will NEVER use the crap known as Valvoline in anything ever again since it caused the spun bearings in my 400 which use to be in my RR. It was fine with Castrol GTX and I decided to switch to Valvoline because of the hype just to spin a couple rod bearings within the first few miles.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil v.s. Dino oil v.s. sythetic blends