2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:10 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhisperBark
I have a 97 1500 Ram, 5.9 4x4 and just rebuilt the trans in my garage. I am still having the same problem which led me to rebuild it: no forward movement. Reverse works fine. New torque converter, new clutches and steels. Installed the Sonnax Sure Cure kit as well. Any ideas on what could be causing this issue and whether or not I should just bite the bullet and pay someone to fix it?
Thanks.
Dave in L.A.
Sorry dave, its tough to say. Rebuilding a transmission is not cut and dry. There are many things you have to look for and know. You cant just throw a set of clutches in it and call it rebuilt.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tharry8
Montec - 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT, 5.2 Liter, 46RE transmission, 130,000 miles.
This weekend I replaced my radiator (had a leak) and then changed my transmission fluid and filter. I did this because I noticed the transmission fluid was brown (did not smell) when I disconnected the transmission lines at the radiator.

To change the fluid, I jacked up the front end, and let the fluid drain out for a long time (it kept dripping). I debated putting a drain plug on the pan, but did not.

Truck had been running fine, shifting great, etc. No indication of any problems.

My truck is running cooler than it used to. While replacing the radiator I decided to also replace the thermostat, hoses, and water pump. The temperature gauge is well to the left of the 210 mark. The new thermostat is 192F and old was 195F, don't think that would make this much difference. My concern is that at the cool operating temperature I have the fluid up to max on dipstick. If the temperature ever does rise up to 180F, the level would be way too high.

I have added 6 quarts of ATF +4 synthetic fluid (Dodge and Haynes both say it should take 4.0 qts), and the level on dipstick is still not to the minimum level yet (it is on dipstick). I checked it this morning after driving 25 miles on the interstate. With the engine running, I engaged the parking brake, and moved the lever through the different settings (R, D, etc) and left it in neutral. Fluid is showing on dipstick, just above the hole, but not to minimum level.

I noticed that the fluid on the dipstick is not hot, only warm (guessing 100F?). That is after 25 miles on interstate. It is about 75F outside.

When I changed the fluid I do not know how much drained, since I dumped the pan on the ground by accident while trying to lower it. And, I had not checked the dipstick either.

The coolant looks fine (does not appear to be contaminated with transmission fluid).

I originally used 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid and then drove the truck. Within about 1/2 mile, felt the transmission slipping, so I stopped and added the remaining 1/2 quart. There was no fluid on dipstick before adding the 1/2 quart). I drove to the parts store and bought another quart. Drove some more, checked level and added the quart (that brings total to 5). Drove 20 miles or so last night, and stopped at parts store and bought another quart. I added it last night (brings total to 6 quarts).

Fluid was last changed at about 90,000 miles, 4 years ago. I know it is too long to wait.

Recommendations on what I should do?

Update - Sunday I drove the truck 70 miles on the interstate. The fluid on dipstick still was not hot. I added the 7th quart, drove some more, and the level is now at max. But the temperature never came up. Note that the transmission hoses to and from the radiator are both hot. Any ideas?

Youre fine, dont worry, just keep on trucking.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SPM
montec i have a 99 1500 quad cab 4x4 with 65000 miles and when i reach about 50 mph the engine rpm's jump then drop.it does this in od and with the od turned off.i'm not sure but is this the tranny slipping?if not what else could it be and whats the fix.i checked the fluid and fluid level and both are good.thanks
How bad does the rpm jump?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:15 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 97vee10
so i was changing my tranny fluid today and found a wedge shaped piece in the pan, im thinking it came off the band adjustment. any idea if it is? and how to re install it?
The strut fell out because the band was out of adjustment, (worn out). If you reinstall it you might get a little more time, but its on its way out.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gripitripit@msn.com
First of all I want to say it is very refreshing to see MonteC is so willing to assist others in need, not very common in todays world! Thank you for your time and knowledge. Now for my question... I have a 2006 5.9 Cummins A/T that is giving me some issues at 190k. This tranny owes me nothing at this point but I am a cheap *** so I want to see what my options are. The truck is slipping at low speed, low rpm but runs fantastic and shifts fine at higher speeds. I did have a pinhole in the trans cooler that was repaired not long ago, as soon as this repair took place the torque seal went bad so it was replaced next. The trans fluid is nice and clean so my question is... Do I need a rebuild (this is what I am thinking) or is there a possibility of a tc issue? As of this week all electrical connections have been checked and cleaned as well. I drive this truck daily and it does the trick but it is now hunting season and I will be towing more frequently so i would like to get it repaired. I am no mechanic so I will be having this done elsewhere and do not want to get taken advantage of at the repair shop. Thanks for any assistance you may lend.
48re or 68rfe?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jaq sqat
MonteC, I was wondering what your opinion is regarding the "slip in" style front band? I know you mentioned it in other posts and that caught my attention. It is the one offered by WIT under pn 22022AS at only $22.

I am wondering if I can use it until I get more time, money, tools and knowledge to be able to rebuild the whole trans myself. That would probably be in another year.

I have a 06 CTD (48re) and tow about 6k lbs about 10 times a year for camping trips.
I have recommended them in the past, but i dont anymore. At least not over the internet. If you are mechanically inclined then go for it. But be aware that they are not the easiest thing to install, and most of the time the drum is torn up from the band going metal to metal, so it will just eat the new band up.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by awwnaww615
I have 2000 1500 2wd automatic..need tranny(wont shift outta first)...what tranny do i need? I have been looking like crazy for months now and cannot seem to find anything. I have been told its a 46re is that correct? Would rather R&I than get rebuilt...but at this point will do anything to get back on the road.HELP!!
Yep, 46re.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM
SPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MonteC
How bad does the rpm jump?
engine revs about 200 - 400 rpm then drops to normal and seems to do it at all speeds could it be the throttle position sensor.thanks

Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
I got my OD back from the transmission shop. I had them replace the snap ring and put a new seal on the rear of it. I also picked up a new gasket from the dealer for the OD. I see that the gasket also goes behind the overdrive piston retainer. Is the retainer easy to remove to install the new gasket? I have searched online and have found very little info. What I have has said there is an internal snap ring behind it in the transmission. Is this correct? If so, is this easily removed? Thanks again for your help.
You cant remove that piston with the trans in the car. Most trans shops will have the O/d gasket with out the middle section.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:22 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jaq sqat
I just installed a Transgo shift kit, governor solenoid, and accumulator piston to address the 1-2 shuttle. The trans finally shifts like I think it should.

I do have a trans fluid leak at the shift shaft. I think this is the seal for the shaft,
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000054405.htm

Is this the correct seal for the 48re? Can I replace this from the outside without pulling the VB? It seems like it would be difficult to pull the seal with the shift shaft in place.

And, MonteC if you read this, can you give me your opion on the "slip in" style band?
Yep that is the correct seal, they make a tool to remove and install it from outside.

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)