2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 PM
my 4.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay with regular brakes its better for your rotors, they are softer and cause less heat which in return your rotors wont warp as easy,,,,

Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ceramic brakes suck. they don't stop as well and warp the rotors easily.
6000k hid lights are the way to go.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put my grill back on after I gave the epoxy 24 hours to cure.

Changed my transmission filter and pan gasket. The magnet in the pan was doubled in size with deposits and the pan was full of sediment and pieces of something- cork, rubber, dirt- I'm not sure.

Checked coolant freeze protection. The coolant I drew into the tester was clear, but all the ***** floated to the top... The coolant in the tank looks orange, but it has stuff floating in it. I took off the radiator cap and the thermostat is rusty and the radiator appears to be rusted inside.
I'm a little worried about the coolant because winter is coming up and I've heard it gets below zero here sometimes. My truck has been in Texas all it's life and never below 10 degrees.

I was going to exchange the fluid in my transfer case, but I'm not sure how to remove the plugs. They appear to be large hex shaped holes- maybe a large allen wrench will work on these..? Any idea what size they are?
Also, a seal in my transfer case is leaking, about in the middle of the skidplate. How hard is this to replace?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Oren09
Put my grill back on after I gave the epoxy 24 hours to cure.

Changed my transmission filter and pan gasket. The magnet in the pan was doubled in size with deposits and the pan was full of sediment and pieces of something- cork, rubber, dirt- I'm not sure.

Checked coolant freeze protection. The coolant I drew into the tester was clear, but all the ***** floated to the top... The coolant in the tank looks orange, but it has stuff floating in it. I took off the radiator cap and the thermostat is rusty and the radiator appears to be rusted inside.
I'm a little worried about the coolant because winter is coming up and I've heard it gets below zero here sometimes. My truck has been in Texas all it's life and never below 10 degrees.

I was going to exchange the fluid in my transfer case, but I'm not sure how to remove the plugs. They appear to be large hex shaped holes- maybe a large allen wrench will work on these..? Any idea what size they are?
Also, a seal in my transfer case is leaking, about in the middle of the skidplate. How hard is this to replace?
That's either gasket material or filter material. It was due for a drain & fill. Your radiator sounds like a rust bucket. Get a new cap, and flush that baby. Anything other than green is bad for your truck. Get some Prestone. The PO probably put the WalMart crap in there. I tried it and it turns to rust real fast. I stick with Prestone now.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Mechanik

Finally got around to restoring my headlights. They were pretty bad and I got a kit from Advance Auto called Crystal View and I'm really happy with the way they turned out.

Before:
Name:  BMS12174-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  9.6 KB

After:
Name:  BMS12218.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  146.4 KB

Much better.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap! What did you paint your fender with, Krylon?

I had to buy a new battery for my baby today.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Holy crap! What did you paint your fender with, Krylon?

HOLY ORANGE PEEL BATMAN!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL @ Twisted.

Ram1500, thanks for the info.
It probably was some generic crap.
I'll need to add that to my to fix/replace list. Damn, just when it was almost down to two pages..
Should I just drain out the old coolant and pour in new, or is there something else I need to do..?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 AM
smoke stacks

i need to do that too. every once in a while some coolant will leak out in front of my left front tire...it drips off the left of the front fender. when i fill the reserve back up i notice a dirty or rusty brown color...i hope i dont need a new radiator. you better jump on it oren09 before yours ends up like mine. btw im def going to try that headlight fixer.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Oren09
LOL @ Twisted.

Ram1500, thanks for the info.
It probably was some generic crap.
I'll need to add that to my to fix/replace list. Damn, just when it was almost down to two pages..
Should I just drain out the old coolant and pour in new, or is there something else I need to do..?
I would suggest getting yourself an over the counter radiator flush. It only costs a few bucks, and it helps get rid of any contaminants that are in there. Follow the instructions, then fill with fresh coolant (50/50) and enjoy a clean cooling system. Use good coolant. Like I said I used the WalMart crap when there was like a 5 dollar difference. Now WalMart crap is $1 less than Prestone, "No Thanks".

BTW I learned a long time ago that coolant doesn't last very well past one year. To keep my cooling system clean, I drain and refill with new coolant at the start of Summer each year.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?