2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I went to battery wholesale, got the biggest, meanest, battery that would physically fit. It's been in there six years now, and still going strong.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Optima batteries are good batteries so only getting 4 years out of a red top is really strange. I had one that had sat in storage for over 3 years and when I dropped it into my rig it had enough juice to start it. And I ran it for another 3 years after that until I sold the rig.
I now run dual yellow tops in my Jeep because of the amount of winching I do. I have had two of them go bad but it was my fault. I had a slow drain on one of the batteries which kept killing it and then because I didn't have a trickle charger on it it would freeze and that made it DEAD. Didn't matter what I tried to recharge it. The only battery I would buy other than an Optima is an Odyessy battery. For my Jeep. When It comes time to replace the batteries in my Dodge I'll put red top Optimas in it.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The factory battery lasted about 5yrs, but since I've been in FL, 2-2½yrs is as good as I've had from an assortment of supposedly good brands... and that goes for several vehicles.
4yrs from the Optima is an improvement on everything else I've had.

Maybe a Yellow Top Optima would be better, or the dual purpose marine (Blue Top).
Though I wouldn't have thought deep cycle was needed as I maintain good charge state and I'm not seeing voltage drop or a flicker as the T-fans kick in.

In Australia, I used to use deep cycle CAT batteries, which I think were made by East Penn in the US... they had extra plates, handled vibration well, and lasted around 10yrs.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Optima batteries are good batteries so only getting 4 years out of a red top is really strange...
It outlasted it's 3yr warranty...
The past few months it has been sitting days on end without use (never more than a week)... maybe there's some parasitic draw cycling it deeper than it likes.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Put in the second Redhead last weekend. It is definitely better the first one. No squeak, no binding, better feel over all. Still doesn't want to return very well. I guess this will never be figured out.
Considering batteries, I always use Exide 840cca or higher from napa. Replace every 5 years.

Good job on the LMC dash. Looks just like mine. Wasn't the worst job I've tackled. Actually did it pretty quickly one afternoon. Nice to see someone has my same truck still on the road. Taking it on my annual Christmas trip from Seattle to MN on Sunday. Besides coolant leak, she's doing well.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
The factory battery lasted about 5yrs, but since I've been in FL, 2-2½yrs is as good as I've had from an assortment of supposedly good brands... and that goes for several vehicles.
4yrs from the Optima is an improvement on everything else I've had.

Maybe a Yellow Top Optima would be better, or the dual purpose marine (Blue Top).
Though I wouldn't have thought deep cycle was needed as I maintain good charge state and I'm not seeing voltage drop or a flicker as the T-fans kick in.

In Australia, I used to use deep cycle CAT batteries, which I think were made by East Penn in the US... they had extra plates, handled vibration well, and lasted around 10yrs.
Don't put a Blue Top in your truck. It is a marine battery as you said and Optima doesn't recommend using them in a vehicle. I don't see a need for you to have to use a Yellow Top either as it is made for multiple discharges like when winching, car stereo competition and things like that which could discharge the battery.

Originally Posted by Spillage
It outlasted it's 3yr warranty...
The past few months it has been sitting days on end without use (never more than a week)... maybe there's some parasitic draw cycling it deeper than it likes.
I'm still shocked you only got 4 years out of it. I would have thought you'd see 6-8 years easy. I wouldn't think it is the heat that is cutting the life but what else could it be? As long as you're able to crank the engine then whatever little discharge you may have isn't hurting that battery. It will be interesting to see how many years you get out of this battery.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
...I'm still shocked you only got 4 years out of it. I would have thought you'd see 6-8 years easy. I wouldn't think it is the heat that is cutting the life but what else could it be? As long as you're able to crank the engine then whatever little discharge you may have isn't hurting that battery. It will be interesting to see how many years you get out of this battery.
I agree, I would have hoped for 6+yrs, but like most things in today's world, once it's beyond warranty it's on borrowed time.

Others that I've spoken to down here say battery life does seem to be less due to the heat... but I would expect the same commentary from CA, TX, AZ, NM, etc.
Unless it's just that FL doesn't get as much of a break from the heat throughout the year... this is winter and we're still seeing mid 80's.

Another thought; I have headers, that could be increasing under hood temps (even though they're coated).
4yrs of almost daily driving of at least 60 miles at raised under hood temps certainly could be taxing.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Are you only looking to use "gel" style batteries? Personally i like the old lead-acid style. I have seen gel style batteries quit within a year or less. I work in the material handling industry and have seen brand new gel batteries not hold a charge. I got a optima red top battery from work that i didn't use(new). It had a full charge and would not start a vehicle a year or so later. Can't really say how good the optima batteries are but i would choose lead acid over any gel style battery. Optima says their batteries are not gel or wet batteries but they are closer to gel then they are to lead acid. I found this on the optima site.

Because of the high-purity lead grid in the OPTIMA battery, it has a self-discharge rate much lower than conventional flat-plate batteries. This means the OPTIMA battery can sit for longer periods retaining enough charge to start your vehicle when stored and maintained properly. Depending on storage temperature and the state of charge when put into storage, it can usually sit for eight to 12 months and still start most vehicles.
I beg to differ! My $ 0.2

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...cs/gel-battery

Old 12-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Moparite
Are you only looking to use "gel" style batteries? Personally i like the old lead-acid style. I have seen gel style batteries quit within a year or less. I work in the material handling industry and have seen brand new gel batteries not hold a charge. I got a optima red top battery from work that i didn't use(new). It had a full charge and would not start a vehicle a year or so later. Can't really say how good the optima batteries are but i would choose lead acid over any gel style battery. Optima says their batteries are not gel or wet batteries but they are closer to gel then they are to lead acid. I found this on the optima site.

I beg to differ! My $ 0.2

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...cs/gel-battery
This is only my second Optima... I spent the extra for an Optima because I wasn't have much luck with the run of the mill garden variety lead acid battery... it did double the life of other batteries I've had in FL.
The factory battery served in MI & PA.
If this one doesn't give much better than the last, I'll find a CAT dealer locally.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Today I change the battery terminal clamps (since it now has a new battery)... the old one on the negative was getting a little stretched and taking too much to get a good grip on the post.

I also did the SCT tune update recently provided by Sean at HemiFever.
I'll report any differences if seen after a week or so driving.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?