2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 09:32 PM
joetruckster
Rookie
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In the three weeks since I bought a 2001 1500 2WD with 120k miles from my daughter and son-in-law, I've:
checked what works and what doesn't -- cruise-broken vacuum line, front speakers and reading lamps don't, no frost so can't check mirror heaters, everything else does, surprisingly;
cleaned the nasty thing out, removed bedliner and washed under it, got 28 cents and three cigarette lighters for my efforts;
registered it with the DMV;
replaced leaking power steering hoses (S-I-L said it had bad pump; pump fine so far);
replaced driver's window regulator, and properly reattached door panel;
driveable now, took it out of the neighborhood for first time last Saturday, filled up with gas and added Techron injector cleaner;
cleaned dirt and crud from inside of door jambs and from crevices around trim;
bought a used rear bumper, truck wouldn't start when ready to leave, eventually did;
replaced ignition coil;
installed bumper, wouldn't start afterwards, camshaft position sensor code, remove sensor, wife cleaned upholstery;
replace sensor, it runs! Wife said I have a new hobby.

See "2001 club cab purchase" for the gruesome details.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:23 PM
horace
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thinking an awful lot about putting more air in the tire

Old 03-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Been repairing rust on the bottom of the driver's door. First step to repainting truck. Dust everywhere. . . .

Old 04-22-2022, 09:19 PM
joetruckster
Rookie

Installed new Carquest branded made-in-china power steering pump along with a fluid filter today. Old one was leaking at the reservoir/pump junction; the seal at the shaft was not leaking. No leaks now. So far.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion

It took a month and tons of work but I got the hood, fenders, roof, and door pillars repainted. Then I detailed the truck about a dozen times, replaced the grille, painted and polished the bumper, grille guard, all wheels, plastics, trim, windows, interior, mirrors, etc. It hasn't looked this good since I bought it 21 years ago.

I'm getting married today and we are leaving the ceremony in my truck so it had to look good!

That's all for now!

Old 04-24-2022, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
It took a month and tons of work but I got the hood, fenders, roof, and door pillars repainted. Then I detailed the truck about a dozen times, replaced the grille, painted and polished the bumper, grille guard, all wheels, plastics, trim, windows, interior, mirrors, etc. It hasn't looked this good since I bought it 21 years ago.

I'm getting married today and we are leaving the ceremony in my truck so it had to look good!

That's all for now!
Congrats!! Have a fun honeymoon.

Pics, or it didn't happen.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:35 PM
joetruckster
Rookie

Still no leaks. On to the next problem.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:54 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Pics per request:
Started by repairing rust at the bottom of driver's door. Sand all rust off, couple layers of bondo, and sanding and primer.

Here's after paint before clear:

Then I tackled the hood, fenders, roof, and doors from just under windows up to the roof line.

Starting primer. Had to use several kinds since they all go on differently. The worst by far was the "filler" primer in rust red. It was basically mud. Got everywhere when wet sanding.

Color going on. Used PX8 dodge paint from spray cans. First try was Automotive Touchup brand which sucked. The cans spit and splattered badly.

Fast forward past clear coating and several rounds of wet sanding, cutting, buffing, and polishing. I was working too hard to stop for pictures. But I learned a lot and would do things different or better but the end result is much better and I am pleased. The truck turned out great and was a hit at the wedding as our get away vehicle. Awesome to do my own work and put in sweat equity. I really don't think there's anything I'll ever need a shop/mechanic for again on this truck. She looks better than she did 10 years ago.

All in I spent around 500 or 600 bucks but a shop paint job would be several thousand. The second order of paint cans were from Scratch Repair and they sprayed much better. Clear coat was 2k from Amazon. I used 1000 and 1500 grit wet sand and Mequire's cutting and polishing compounds. Then Turtle Wax polish. I used my new Dewalt drill with wool and foam polishing wheels. Did I mention wet sanding? There was a TON of that. Several days. Slow, patient, and gentle was the trick.

I also installed brand new steps, new Pacer lights and wiring, new grille, new grille emblem, and polished all chrome including grille guard. Took about a month but the final polish was the day of the rehearsal so I finished just in time.

And the wedding went perfectly as well. We had a wonderful ceremony, party, and honeymoon. Now that the truck is refurbished and I have a new wifey, I probably will be absent on this site for a while. Take care everyone and have a happy and safe summer!

Bride and Groom!

The following users liked this post:
frankie_b_jr (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 06:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Congrats, and good luck! We'll still be here when ya drift back in.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:58 AM
JLEED1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 1999 Dodge 5.2, 4x4 Durango

Finally got one again except this time around, I have 134,000 miles on it . Previous owner hit a hog so....brand new radiator with 50/50 antifreeze, battery, stereo with kit and that's it for now. Freon exploded through tube because it was put in wrong port. I didn't know until after. Currently working on cold ac. Ugh..fuse, compressor, Condenser...so many things. Always hated working on vehicles. No choice now..
need help. Anyone around??

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?