2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
Installed a 14x3 air cleaner from Mr. Gasket on it. Can't really tell that its lost any low end torque, like I heard it would, but the difference in sound compared to my old CAI is awesome. Sounds like a race motor now.

Thx everyone in the forum that answered any questions I asked

And over 2500 rpms, pulls quite a bit harder than it did before. Now just to fix that leaking plenum

do you have a body lift? cause my 14x3 needed a 1/2" spacer to clear the throttle bracket, and it put my filter right up underneath the black strip where that wire loom comes from.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Ah, brakes. Such fun. My 2500 4x4 had a HORRID vibration when braking, and that really needed to go.... So, actually managed to get into the shop today, and have a look around. Fronts looked brand new.... pads were nice and fat, rears, however.... were down to the rivets. Yep, there's the problem. Put in some nice new shoes (baby needs a new pair of shoes?) turned the drums, adjusted everything up, and problem is not gone. Step on the brakes, and come to a nice smooth stop. FAR superior to previous behavior.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To 004x41500....no I have no lift. I bought the 1/2 inch spacer because I read somewhere that it was needed, but I set the filter down on the throttle body when I was installing it, and it cleared all the wires, linkages and everything.

So I took the spacer kit back, and swapped for the small breather filter.

Also I'm pretty sure if the bottom of the 14x3 was flat, I would have needed the spacers, but the bottom plate of the filter is kinda molded up, so the linkage when fully open and up, is almost inside the raised part of the plate. LOL. Hope that makes sense. I was actually surprised tho that I have a couple inches on top of the filter still. I was expecting a much tighter squeeze based on what I've read here.

Another thing tho, is that the filter is not 3 inches high. It is maybe 2 inches tall. So that probably helps with some of the clearance issues. Hoping I didn't cut the S bolt too short, so if I do find a 3 inch filter to put in it, its long enough :S

Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ah, brakes. Such fun. My 2500 4x4 had a HORRID vibration when braking, and that really needed to go.... So, actually managed to get into the shop today, and have a look around. Fronts looked brand new.... pads were nice and fat, rears, however.... were down to the rivets. Yep, there's the problem. Put in some nice new shoes (baby needs a new pair of shoes?) turned the drums, adjusted everything up, and problem is not gone. Step on the brakes, and come to a nice smooth stop. FAR superior to previous behavior.

Have your front rotors turned, they are waped, and need to be resurfaced, and that will fix your problem. visually you can't tell, but there with be a huge difference after they are turned or replaced.

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
To 004x41500....no I have no lift. I bought the 1/2 inch spacer because I read somewhere that it was needed, but I set the filter down on the throttle body when I was installing it, and it cleared all the wires, linkages and everything.

So I took the spacer kit back, and swapped for the small breather filter.

Also I'm pretty sure if the bottom of the 14x3 was flat, I would have needed the spacers, but the bottom plate of the filter is kinda molded up, so the linkage when fully open and up, is almost inside the raised part of the plate. LOL. Hope that makes sense. I was actually surprised tho that I have a couple inches on top of the filter still. I was expecting a much tighter squeeze based on what I've read here.

Another thing tho, is that the filter is not 3 inches high. It is maybe 2 inches tall. So that probably helps with some of the clearance issues. Hoping I didn't cut the S bolt too short, so if I do find a 3 inch filter to put in it, its long enough :S

hmm, i had to get a 4" bolt for my filter after the edelbrock proflo and spacer

Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 004x41500
Have your front rotors turned, they are waped, and need to be resurfaced, and that will fix your problem. visually you can't tell, but there with be a huge difference after they are turned or replaced.
The fronts were fine. Trouble was, the rears were down to the rivets, and the rivets were digging into the drums. Re-did the rears, and now braking is smooth, with no vibration at all.

Fortunately, the shop I have access to has a very nice brake lathe.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The fronts were fine. Trouble was, the rears were down to the rivets, and the rivets were digging into the drums. Re-did the rears, and now braking is smooth, with no vibration at all.

Fortunately, the shop I have access to has a very nice brake lathe.

oh, then i guess i read that wrong, cause i thought you said you did the rears, and you still had a vibration, oh well, at least thats another dodge thats fixed.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I don't have the rubber wheel yet, I finished removing the pin stripes along both sides of the truck, wiped it all down with go gone, then took it to a car wash place and gave her a good bath. I like the way she looks with no pin stripes and unless you get really close, you can't tell she had'em. The black stripe had so much junk built up along the top and bottom that I can't get rid of it all. The gray cleaned up real nice and easy but not the black one. It doesn't matter too much anyway because probably next weekend I'm going to take her to get fully detailed and they do everything. They do everything from hand washing the outside, shampooing the inside to steam cleaning the engine and touching up the paint, all for only 150...not bad if you ask me since she really needs it.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain

oh, then i guess i read that wrong, cause i thought you said you did the rears, and you still had a vibration, oh well, at least thats another dodge thats fixed.
Nope, you didn't read wrong, but it is good to hear that the brake issue is fixed! I'll be replacing my brakes probably this weekend or next depending on when parts arrive.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

scraped off the cork gasket on the trans pan......PITA!..... install drain pug

Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a body lift? cause my 14x3 needed a 1/2" spacer to clear the throttle bracket, and it put my filter right up underneath the black strip where that wire loom comes from.
They are not all made the same. Some will mount right up the the tb others you need the spacer. I actually need 2 of the pieces out of the spacer kit to make mine fit. Some people say its a loss in performance but honestly I don't see how nor give a crap

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?