2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
jmhai
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
lol you guys suck, im really wanting to get rid of the superchips and go sct happy you happy with it ,whats next on the mod list ??
Down the road I see a Fastman, 1.7 harlands, upgraded ignition, and electric fan.. I have a bid on ebay for a Mr. Fusion so I can produce the 1.21 jiggawatts of power needed for the Flux Capacitor. after that I'm good for awhile...lol...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally got everything installed and installed the 91 octane tune. What a huge difference from the crap OEM tune. I used to have to hold down the throttle going up hill and now, it easily climbs hills without having to hold down the pedal. It feels like it's not wasting fuel now.

I wish I had done this years ago. Definitely worth the time, effort and money.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
palerider9999
Rookie

I am very envious.. Did the Bosch injectors or JBA Headers help any? I have a set of JBa's on the way..

Old 09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

so I guess most people are saying SCT over the Flashpaq Superchip? I do like the superchip so I can correct the speedo on my tires.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats the only advantage that the Superchips tuner has over the SCT, the speedo/tire size adjuster. The SCT pretty much spanks it in every other way.

I have the SC 3815, because back when I bought it (around $300 with 2nd day shipping), the SCT was $600, IIRC. If he had had the $275/$375 deal going around then, I would have jumped at it. $75 more for custom tunes? Hell yeah!

Now, all the tuners are overall less expensive it seems. As soon as I get my house bought here soon, I am going to look into selling my 3815 and going over to a Hemifever SCT.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not only can you get the tire size done at the dealer, but, I believe both Hypertech and Super Chips both sell a separate tire size calibration unit. Of course that adds to the cost, but what the hey right! LOL

And quite honestly, I don't see why SCT can't add that into there product. I would have bought an SCT without thinking twice if that one element was not missing. I think it hurts their sales, even if it was a little more expensive to the consumer to add it in.

Last edited by zman17; 09-29-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ya, im not to enthused with my 3815, though i do like the speedo calibration. but, im wondering if the sct would really make much more of a difference in my 5.2?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

I happen to like my 3815. The canned tunes are definitely and upgrade from the death flash. Depending on how far I go with this engine will decide if I move on to an SCT. But yet again I feel the need to point out that tuners help remedy a problem(death flash),but they are not a "magic potion" or cure-all. Even plugging in a custom mapped SCT is not gonna add 200 HP or 200 Lb./ft of torque to your truck. Nor will it shave 3 seconds off your qt. mile ET, or make you able to tow a 10,000 lb. trailer up 20% grades at 70 mph with the CC on.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ya i know that, but it just doent seem to have the rubber burning ability that i thought. and i dont have the death flash, so i dont know. i would like to be able to burnout on dry pavement, but the currently isnt possible, on wet pavement, it does it no problem.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by palerider9999
I am very envious.. Did the Bosch injectors or JBA Headers help any? I have a set of JBa's on the way..
In short, everything helped - right down to the new high quality Carter fuel pump. I have a guy who works on Indy cars who helped me choose the right injectors. He has a company that does nothing but cleans, rebuilds and tests all kinds of injectors and has been working on race cars since the 70s. He was the one that told me to get the real Bosch injectors not the imitations or rebuilds.

I had installed and tested out one thing at a time to get an idea of what was significant and, all work together so, it's that combination of all things plus the tune to get it to where it's at now.

It's like a new truck. It has NEVER ran this good since the day I bought it. When I got it, even with only 40K on it, the thing always had issues.

Now at 226K mi, it idles very smooth and sounds very steady. JBA headers are excellent. They are not wicked loud in the cab nor loud at all for that matter. It's smooth and rumbly until- you tromp on it. You have to hear that to fully experience the sound and feel. It sounds really nice.

To me, for a small engine (5.2 in this case) to move this large amount of weight,(6400 lbs) as it's doing, this is a very significant improvement over OEM. Huge change- it's not subtle at all and, I am not even running the top level tune either.

Now, had I changed the gearing from OEM 3.55 to 4:10s or whatever to accommodate my tire size; and, coupled with new heads and cam- I think that this little engine could end up being very nice.

Quick Reply: SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..