2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..

Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 PM
jmhai
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..

2 weeks ago I saw on here somebody mentioned SCT tuners on sale for $375. I contacted hemifever (as everybody recommends) and gave him my info to see if it was worth it on a stock engine (only mods: universal highflow cat w/ flowmaster dual exhaust and K&N air filter).

He said I would get a small performance boost and much better driveability. Also that since he already had what he called CAN tunes for this that it would only be $275. instead of $375... Sold... set payment and less then one week later had tuner in hand...

It was well packaged and complete. It did not come with any paper instructions. Everything was on a cd. I printed the instructions out and went outside to load it up. It comes with 3 programs (93 octane, 87 octane, and towing). I still had 3/4 tank of 87 so loaded that tune. It copies the orginal program (my PCM had no death flash) then deletes it from the ecm/pcm and loads the new one, you have to turn the key on and off a few times and your done.

Everything hemifever said was true, better performance, much better driveability and easy to install. I have to say that just getting rid of the torque management was worth it. It shifts and excellerates perfect. The more gas I give it the longer it takes to shift WOT is shifting just before redline.... light throttle shifts early and smooth, their is also no TC locking up all the time and no slowing down hard down shifts ( you know driving slow in town and you let off the gas and it does that hard downshift into first almost everytime...)

Of coarse since the trans is stock too at WOT I am getting a little 1st to 2nd slipping so no more WOT off the line runs till the trans service and foward belt adjustment are done. it is due now and will do myself...

I am going to fill up with premium next and try the 93 tune and see if I get any PINGing.. I hope not, but won't matter because hemifever said just email it to him and he would fix...

Extra info.... My engine (stock) and trans (stock) just turned 50,000 miles and the engine is clean with no oil leaks and when I replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs they were all perfect examples of what they should look like with not one once of oil. I didn't have the DeathFlash and no codes till the o2 sensor went bad because the cat was bad, both replaced weeks earlier and no codes since..

If anyone has any questions please ask and will answer to the best of my ability... I will update with the 93 test in a week or so after atleast 1 full tank of premium thru it...

Last edited by jmhai; 09-07-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! how long did it take to use it. I watched a vid on youtuble and they jumped ahead so it made it seem like it takes forever

Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's amazing how much of a difference can be had in a tune, I was simply amazed how much my Mopar PCM helped, almost wish I had OBD2 so I could use SCT.

I installed my Mopar PCM when I still had 87 in it, drove it 3 miles to the gas station and it definitely would ping if you tried, filled up with premium with still a 1/4 tank of 87 left and the pinging was gone within a few miles, no sense in running a whole tank through before hand IMO.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 09-07-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
Sweet! how long did it take to use it. I watched a vid on youtuble and they jumped ahead so it made it seem like it takes forever
It went from the box to printing the instructions from the cd to my PCM in 15 minutes easy give or take... It takes about 3 minutes to load a program or 5 minutes the first time because you have to copy the orginal program... easy peasy.. I believe it is the fastest way to make the biggest difference in performance their is out there....

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
It's amazing how much of a difference can be had in a tune, I was simply amazed how much my Mopar PCM helped, almost wish I had OBD2 so I could use SCT.

I installed my Mopar PCM when I still had 87 in it, drove it 3 miles to the gas station and it definitely would ping if you tried, filled up with premium with still a 1/4 tank of 87 left and the pinging was gone within a few miles, no sense in running a whole tank through before hand IMO.
1996 and I believe 97's only choice was the Mopar PCM or B&G reflash until SCT added them not long ago.... superchip and hyper start at 1998 and up still...

Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Just wait till you get some real mods and have that SCT tune adjusted. Then youll crap yourself . Like i did lol

Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM
zje400ex
Captain

Does it fix your speedo for oversized tires? And how much did it increase your MPG?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well with all the **** that i'm doing. I won't know what the best mod was lol. zje I believe the answer is no to that question

Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 AM
jmhai
Veteran

No adjustment for tires... I have yet to put a full tank of fuel on either tune yet, now just making sure the 93 tune doesn't ping or throw any codes.. after the tank of 93 gas is used up, then I will go back to 87 tune and fuel and do some mpg testing, before the SCT I was getting avg 12 to 13 mpg's...

So will see after a tank or two if their is an improvement in mpg.. It runs so nice it's hard to keep my foot off of the throttle..

Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol you guys suck, im really wanting to get rid of the superchips and go sct happy you happy with it ,whats next on the mod list ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..