2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

my tires have a 5 year 100k km warranty on them

Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the hole is in the sidewall, it doesn't matter how big or small it is. It's garbage.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
^^^ I think the craiglsit ad I posted made him fart.

so after 2 years of not even uncovering my boat I decided to use this 3 day weekend to clean it up and do some work to it. its a '64 glastron futura. its been in my family since it was new. my dad bought it from my great grandpa and we used it for many years. then the transmission went out and my dad let it sit for a couple of years. after finally fixing the transmission we loaded up and headed to the river only to have the trailer tonque break off. then it sat until 3 years ago when I finally towed it out to my house.

list of things I need to do to it are:
1. install fuel tanks with new fuel lines, which I already have
2. replace ignition switch, which I already have
3. replace most of the engine wiring, which is what I dread the most cause ill have to do it all from scratch.
4. replace or repair trailer, i think its beyond repair. I had to use tie straps to hold the tonque to the trailer frame cause it has all but rusted away.
5. replace the seats.

my goal for this weekend is a little ambitious. I would like to get it all cleaned up and start it up, but ill be happy to get it cleaned and here it crank. it hasn't been started in about 10 years, but as a yearly maintance I have been pulling the plugs and putting a little marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and turning it by hand with the secondary pull cord. I am hoping that this has kept the cylinders and rings in good shape.

^That. I'm not a post *****. The ad was just so stupid.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:20 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Immmmmmmmmmm druuuunnnkkkk B-)

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the new harness made and installed. tomorrow ill install the new ignition switch and battery along with new fuel lines and tanks . hopefully it will start without rebuilding the carbs

Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 PM
tired old man
Veteran

In the bygone days you could buy a boot to put in a tire with a hole in the sidewall if the hole wasn't very big.

I have put the biggest patch I could find inside some tires and added a tube even on tubeless tires just to get by until I could afford new tires.

I really don't recommend it unless the hole is quite small. I'm thinking a hole from a screw you might get by with a patch on the inside. I know a plug in a sidewall will not work at all on steel belted tires though.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
I did buy them brand new but it was over a year ago, just havent put much mileage on them, maybe 2k. Im going to call the tire place tuesday morning and find out but im doubtfull. Its a fairly small hole and im half tempted to try some fix a flat.
I have successfully used tire plugs to patch a sidewall leak....

Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

I'm thinking some fix a flat or a patch ought to get me by for a couple of weeks till I can buy a new one.

on another note I cranked the motor over on the boat several times. the ignition switch I have will not work, its brand new and the key doesn't work, wasn't keyed right from the factory, go figure. so I hotwired it and poured some gas down the carb. all I managed to do is start a fire on the front of the motor, lol. I think the manner in which I have it hotwired is not sending power to the ignition coil. I also had to jump off the starter by hand cause the boats battery cable is too corroded I guess. using the existing battery cable all I get is a click from the solenoid like its not getting enough current. so ill add new battery cables and ends to my list of stuff to fix.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
Immmmmmmmmmm druuuunnnkkkk B-)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-memb...ease-read.html

Rules of DodgeForum, please read

6. Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short), "smiley" only, non-sense posts and such. Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count ("post whoring") is frowned upon. If you do engage in this type of activity, we can prevent your post count from increasing from that point forward or possibly ban your account.

Stolen from merc225hp

Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
When I purchased my truck used, everything on the front end was pretty much original. The truck felt bouncy while on the road, so I replaced all 4 shocks with Rancho 5000 units. That cured the bounce, but while driving at highway speeds one day, I experienced Dodge death wobble (see link for example below):

DODGE DEATH WOBBLE - YouTube

Death wobble scared me so bad, I decided to rebuild my front end, since I had a very hard time controlling the truck when death wobble started up. My ball joints, track bar, steering damper and wheel bearings were all bad, so those were replaced first, along with a good front end alignment and new load range E tires. After replacing all that stuff, death wobble seemed to be a thing of the past, however, my truck tended to wander a bit while highway driving. I replaced the steering box (with a Borgeson unit) and added an aftermarket steering stabilizer and the steering wander stopped.

Unless you have some experience with truck front suspensions, best to take your truck to a good front end shop for a diagnosis, so they can determine where your issue may be and save you money in the long run, unless you are like me - I plan to keep my truck for a long time and I didn't mind rebuilding the entire front end so that the truck will handle safely+properly when I need to use it. In addition, I have all the tools necessary to do the job and don't have to drive the truck every day while its in pieces being repaired.
Just to keep things on topic, after watching that video I'm STILL glad I don't have a 4wd.....

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread