2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first post in the Off Topic thread for me.

So i put a AC compressor on my wifes Pontiac G8GT today.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

Fun times I bet, pretty tight in that engine bay right?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Paul DeHayes
Fun times I bet, pretty tight in that engine bay right?
yea.. its pretty tight..

It has the ls3 6 liter in it, and the ac is on the passenger side lower part of the motor. Its held in by 4 bolts total. It has its own acc belt too..so that was not too bad..

i had to remove the airbox, then remove the belt. Once belt is off, i then had to remove the bolt holding the AC lines to the compressor. There are 3 bolts, all on the side of the compressor facing the passenger frame rail... all 13MM bolts, once you remove them, its happy hunting, the compressor pulls forward, then unplug hte single connector for the wiring harness. the entire compressor tunrs and pulls forward thru the front of the motor.

installing the replacement, is easy, the aussies or gm one or the other decided it would be wise to cast u shaped grooves to where the compressor sits, so once you got it back in the general vicinity of where it goes, you just kinda hook it into those u grooves, put the bolts in finger tight, then continue to tighten with wrench. It goes in pretty easy overall.

interesting aside. Its not like conventional ac compressors. it has no clutch. Its electric voltage regulated, and thus is always on. Interesting idea, but damn if it doesnt cause the compressor to be 880 from the dealer for just the part.

:/

Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
More like the butt pucker part!

You have some control in the snow, not so much on ice and you don't know you've hit black ice until you're spinning out of control
Nah man.. with my plow on the front and around 400#s in the be d my truck weighs in at 7200#s. I went on the scales with metal last winter and that's what my unloaded weight was!

Nothin scares a new englander! Only thing that scares me is the people with trucks and suvs that think they're invisible and do 70 down a snow covered highway...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
Nah man.. with my plow on the front and around 400#s in the be d my truck weighs in at 7200#s. I went on the scales with metal last winter and that's what my unloaded weight was!

Nothin scares a new englander! Only thing that scares me is the people with trucks and suvs that think they're invisible and do 70 down a snow covered highway...
ive seen the way you new engladers drive, its terrifying

Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

First signs of snow expected tonight through tomorrow morning...

Probably won't lay though since the ground is still pretty warm.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by redneck_ram

Gosh dude, your truck is HEAVY. Our Ford F350 tips the scales at 8000#s.

Around here there's some people take these level b roads at 70-80MPH. Most I do is 55, and thats only in the Dodge as it's the only vehicle that handles the roads good enough (as in not sliding all around the road), but usually I do 45-50, IF the road conditions are right, I don't go that fast on mud or loose rock.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
ive seen the way you new engladers drive, its terrifying
IKR? Remember, they're called new Englanders for a reason... Ever seen how they drive in England?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
First signs of snow expected tonight through tomorrow morning...

Probably won't lay though since the ground is still pretty warm.
Snowing here, but won't stick cause it's still too warm.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

It's a lovely 68.1 here.

Suckers.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Gosh dude, your truck is HEAVY. Our Ford F350 tips the scales at 8000#s.

Around here there's some people take these level b roads at 70-80MPH. Most I do is 55, and thats only in the Dodge as it's the only vehicle that handles the roads good enough (as in not sliding all around the road), but usually I do 45-50, IF the road conditions are right, I don't go that fast on mud or loose rock.

IKR? Remember, they're called new Englanders for a reason... Ever seen how they drive in England?
Dodges are fn heavy man, if they were lighter they might actually get decent mpg lol

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread