2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Volkswagen and Nissan both have diesel engine systems that burn cleaner than any gas powered engine.

Fuel may be higher for a diesel, but the mileage and performance actually reduces that cost. The lifetime maintenance costs would have to be reviewed before claiming that the gasser is cheaper to own.
Most people don't keep their trucks past 100k miles. At least casual homeowners, which is the majority of people. And also why diesels has so much EPA reg because people buy them as grocery getters and blow smoke everywhere thinking they're cool. If they has remained exclusive to work class people they probably wouldn't have been hammered so hard.

If considering the intial cost of the diesel vs the gasser the diesel is not worth the extra dough because people will trade their gasser out for a new one before anything major happens.

However if you really work your truck the diesel is worth it, if you plan to keep it for a while.

Consider a 1k head job and replacing front end wearable parts vs replacing front end parts and knowing your engine will still run when the truck is a pile of rust around it.

Little Diesel engines are ridiculously effiecent though. Can't beat those

Old 11-09-2013, 01:25 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Would I like to have a diesel? Yep. But, given the cost difference between the gas, and diesel trucks..... I am going to stick with gas. (unless a REALLY good deal comes down the pike.)
Diesel trucks up here in BC are going cheap these days, they are dying out fast. There was a 01 ccsb with 200,000km on it loaded selling for $3000 just this week. I don't want a dsl nor do I have a need for one, I don't need 500+hp at the wheels, I don't need to break my tires loose at 40mph.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Diesel trucks up here in BC are going cheap these days, they are dying out fast. There was a 01 ccsb with 200,000km on it loaded selling for $3000 just this week. I don't want a dsl nor do I have a need for one, I don't need 500+hp at the wheels, I don't need to break my tires loose at 40mph.
Why so cheap???

Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Why so cheap???
I know youd be lucky to find a Cummins down here for less then 10 grand. Even with that many miles

Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why so cheap???
The diesel kick is over here, there was nothing wrong with it at all, if I was a dsl guy I might have gone and looked at it. People are realizing they are not the end all be all trucks, not cheap to maintain, not that cheap to fuel up, not cheap to insure. The big thing is the kids blowing black smoke, too loud of a exhaust. Cops are busting them left right and center here, they have a bad rep period. Also the older winter snow birds are giving up heading south via driving so they are also selling off their trucks cheap, cheaper to fly south than drive these days. There was a mint dually 2wd I mean mint for $4000 about a month ago over on the island.

Let me know if you want me to keep an eye open for you, I don't look much for them other than for parts. For what you would save it might be worth it to come and get one.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I know youd be lucky to find a Cummins down here for less then 10 grand. Even with that many miles
That is in Km not miles about 124,000 miles on it.

Last edited by merc225hp; 11-09-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 11-09-2013, 08:14 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Is that where you been all this time?

Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no. just been too busy working on my trucks more or less. 1600 empties

Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
The diesel kick is over here, there was nothing wrong with it at all, if I was a dsl guy I might have gone and looked at it. People are realizing they are not the end all be all trucks, not cheap to maintain, not that cheap to fuel up, not cheap to insure. The big thing is the kids blowing black smoke, too loud of a exhaust. Cops are busting them left right and center here, they have a bad rep period. Also the older winter snow birds are giving up heading south via driving so they are also selling off their trucks cheap, cheaper to fly south than drive these days. There was a mint dually 2wd I mean mint for $4000 about a month ago over on the island.

Let me know if you want me to keep an eye open for you, I don't look much for them other than for parts. For what you would save it might be worth it to come and get one.

That is in Km not miles about 124,000 miles on it.
Still even if it had 200k miles, things are worth their weight in gold around right now. When I started driving sophomore year in high school i was the only kid with a truck. When i graduated 2 and a half years later there was 5 cummins that "rolled coal" several powerstrokes and duramaxs and too many beat to hell daks, rangers, chevys and everything in between to count.

Right before i started driving you werent "cool" unless you had one of those little lowered ricers, guess everything has cycles

Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These tires are too nice, I'm extremely disappointed.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread