2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Pink Floyd is arguably the greatest rock band ever... (screw the Beatles)

They got back together with Roger Waters for the Live 8 concerts a few years ago....
I wish I was there for that one, just awesome.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
As it would appear..... Feelin' old yet Merc?
My mind is still young but the body is well not lol.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Old guys rule......1963. Great year (except for JFK).

Old 01-23-2014, 08:23 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Born in 1995, only 2 months older than the truck!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a amateur radio operator in my spare time my call is KA9VQF. I barely managed to pass the 5 word per minute code test to get my novice license back in '86. The first year I was licensed as a novice I was still required to make 100 confirmed contacts {with a QSL card from the other operator} in a years time or lose my license.

About a month before my license would have expired I got the last two cards I needed and was getting ready to send them all in hoping I would be able to keep my license when they changed the whole licensing structure. They did away with novice license and introduced the new at the time “no code” technician license class. A short while later they sent me a new license saying I was a technician class operator but that was changed to technician plus {to denote I had passed the code test} but that was changed back to just technician before I got around to taking the general class license.

I am currently a general class license holder. There is one more level of license that I could attain yet and that is extra class. It has become a lot easier to pass the tests in the last few years. There is no longer a code test at all. All the questions they use on the tests are available on line so all you have to do it study and take the test. If you are good at remembering things you could go in with no license at all pay one fee and come out with the top extra class license. Of course it would take a short while to get your call sign but once it is posted in the FCC data base online you can use the call and start operating. In the old days you were supposed to have the license in hand before operating.

With the “ no code technician” license I could operate phone {voice} on 10 meters and pretty much anything above 50 MHz in frequency. I could still operate using code on the lower bands in the novice sub bands but not phone. The general license allows me a lot more frequencies to use phone and of course I am pretty well unlimited on where I can operate using CW {contentious wave/code} so long as I am with in the frequencies allowed to my class of license, the only problem with that is I totally suck at code.

I do have a computer program that can read a lot of code that I can receive on my radios over the air, so long as the sender has a pretty decent 'fist'. The program will also send decent code that other computers can copy just fine most of the time. The old timers keep telling me that the best code reading software is between your ears, its just that mine is very badly glitched I guess.

In my minds eye I can see the paradigm ham radio operator, that dude is definitely not me because he can build a functioning radio out of scraps of other electronic devices and knows code.

At one time in the early 70's I had a small time CB shop. I bought, sold, traded, and fixed a lot of CB radios. In the early 60's I helped my neighbor who was an extra class ham build an 11 meter radio {11 meters is the CB band. To get the allowed 23 channels we had 46 crystals one for receive and one for transmit we used knife switches to bring the crystals into the circuit. I ground nearly all of those crystals to the frequencies required by hand.

I have been interested in amateur radio from a very early age just didn't get around to really doing anything about it until I was in my early 30's.

I was born in 1953 but I will still bet that I am not the oldest guy on this forum.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pink Floyd is arguably the greatest rock band ever... (screw the Beatles)

They got back together with Roger Waters for the Live 8 concerts a few years ago....
I hate Pink Floyd, Rush, and the Rolling Stones.

They all suck as$

Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

If you do start with The Dark Side of The Moon (album), perhaps their greatest.
Okay I'll keep it in mind.

I've been subscribed to Google Play Music All Access. It's 9.99/mo for unlimited access to all music on Google play. So I can listen to a lot of different music

Originally Posted by tired old man
I am a amateur radio operator in my spare time my call is KA9VQF. I barely managed to pass the 5 word per minute code test to get my novice license back in '86. The first year I was licensed as a novice I was still required to make 100 confirmed contacts {with a QSL card from the other operator} in a years time or lose my license.

About a month before my license would have expired I got the last two cards I needed and was getting ready to send them all in hoping I would be able to keep my license when they changed the whole licensing structure. They did away with novice license and introduced the new at the time “no code” technician license class. A short while later they sent me a new license saying I was a technician class operator but that was changed to technician plus {to denote I had passed the code test} but that was changed back to just technician before I got around to taking the general class license.

I am currently a general class license holder. There is one more level of license that I could attain yet and that is extra class. It has become a lot easier to pass the tests in the last few years. There is no longer a code test at all. All the questions they use on the tests are available on line so all you have to do it study and take the test. If you are good at remembering things you could go in with no license at all pay one fee and come out with the top extra class license. Of course it would take a short while to get your call sign but once it is posted in the FCC data base online you can use the call and start operating. In the old days you were supposed to have the license in hand before operating.

With the “ no code technician” license I could operate phone {voice} on 10 meters and pretty much anything above 50 MHz in frequency. I could still operate using code on the lower bands in the novice sub bands but not phone. The general license allows me a lot more frequencies to use phone and of course I am pretty well unlimited on where I can operate using CW {contentious wave/code} so long as I am with in the frequencies allowed to my class of license, the only problem with that is I totally suck at code.

I do have a computer program that can read a lot of code that I can receive on my radios over the air, so long as the sender has a pretty decent 'fist'. The program will also send decent code that other computers can copy just fine most of the time. The old timers keep telling me that the best code reading software is between your ears, its just that mine is very badly glitched I guess.

In my minds eye I can see the paradigm ham radio operator, that dude is definitely not me because he can build a functioning radio out of scraps of other electronic devices and knows code.

At one time in the early 70's I had a small time CB shop. I bought, sold, traded, and fixed a lot of CB radios. In the early 60's I helped my neighbor who was an extra class ham build an 11 meter radio {11 meters is the CB band. To get the allowed 23 channels we had 46 crystals one for receive and one for transmit we used knife switches to bring the crystals into the circuit. I ground nearly all of those crystals to the frequencies required by hand.

I have been interested in amateur radio from a very early age just didn't get around to really doing anything about it until I was in my early 30's.

I was born in 1953 but I will still bet that I am not the oldest guy on this forum.
I'm not much into amateur radio, but my dad was quite a bit, and a neighbour down the road has TWO ham radio towers, both are as tall as cell towers. Lol.

I haven't gotten my CB radio license yet... I use primarily high-powered GMRS radios when i need to. up to 25MI range, near a federal repeater tower I can get even more range lol.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Gary-L

They all suck as$
Lol...

Maybe I should ask, what doesn't suck your a$$ besides $$$?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L

They all suck as$
Hate is such a strong word

Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by tincan57
Tired Old Man, you are quite right. I was a signalman in the Navy on a Tin-can back in the
day, hence ending with K. ChillyPhil, an old habit as just stated. To all, 55 (year born). K.
Oh alright cool. I wasn't too sure. Thanks for explaining tincan.

Originally Posted by BBartow
Born in 1995, only 2 months older than the truck!
Haha I was born in 95 too man! We're probably the youngest on here then. Glad I've been learning from these older folks though.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear how your projector head lights turn out....if you know what I mean (sig photo). Just remember, Tired Old Man is the old guy on here (haha) K.

Last edited by tincan57; 01-24-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: comma

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread