2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Remember that snow comes with free shipping
Yeah, they seem to have had some excess at the warehouse, and they are just giving it away.......

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, they seem to have had some excess at the warehouse, and they are just giving it away.......
they just shipped us another inch of it... although its been great money this year... im ready for spring! i have several trees to cut up, and split, as well as a few to still cut down!

edit...

oh, and the exhaust, and sct has been ordered! this 4.7 is waaaaay more powerful than my built 360! there is a guy on one of the jeep forums, that makes his own mandrel bent tailpipes, and gives us discounts on other exhaust parts to complete the system. he also gives the forum members an additional 10% off!

got a 3" catback exhaust, witha magnaflow muffler, and tip, along with his tailpipe for 287.10!

finally got me a welder too! im loving this tax season! we got 9600 back!

Last edited by redneck_ram; 02-10-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright guys, looking for some wood stove advice.

Customer of mine gave me a Vogelzang Boxwood Stove, I needed heat in the kitchen (built atop rock and concrete, no heat). Now there used to be a wood cook stove in the kitchen so there is already vent pipe, there's a propane range where the wood stove used to be so I couldn't hook it straight up that way.

I put the wood stove a few feet away from the propane range. There's 2 90* elbows, 5' of vertical pipe coming from the stove to the first elbow, 6' of horizontal pipe going from one elbow to the other, than there's around 7' of vertical pipe from there, around 5' of that is above the roof along with a rain cap.

Problem I have is it doesn't draft well unless there's a hot fire going.

I know the flue needs to be hot to work right but just lighting a fire and I get lots of smoke right out the door, and a smoke smell throughout the early morning as the fire dies.

I've checked and triple checked the pipes, they're clean and unobstructed, draft damper on the the stove works and I usually peak in the stove to visually verify it's position.

My grandparents had no problems with their wood cook stove but it was where the propane range is now so it was able to get a pure vertical flue, I can't do that.

I wonder if there's just too much horizontal pipe? I could reduce it by 2'.

Cheap Chinese stove but it's heating the kitchen, living room, 2 hallways, and the stairwell in an old drafty house, so it's doing it's job...

Last edited by stewie01; 02-10-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by stewie01
Alright guys, looking for some wood stove advice.

Customer of mine gave me a Vogelzang Boxwood Stove, I needed heat in the kitchen (built atop rock and concrete, no heat). Now there used to be a wood cook stove in the kitchen so there is already vent pipe, there's a propane range where the wood stove used to be so I couldn't hook it straight up that way.

I put the wood stove a few feet away from the propane range. There's 2 90* elbows, 5' of vertical pipe coming from the stove to the first elbow, 6' of horizontal pipe going from one elbow to the other, than there's around 7' of vertical pipe from there, around 5' of that is above the roof along with a rain cap.

Problem I have is it doesn't draft well unless there's a hot fire going.

I know the flue needs to be hot to work right but just lighting a fire and I get lots of smoke right out the door, and a smoke smell throughout the early morning as the fire dies.

I've checked and triple checked the pipes, they're clean and unobstructed, draft damper on the the stove works and I usually peak in the stove to visually verify it's position.

My grandparents had no problems with their wood cook stove but it was where the propane range is now so it was able to get a pure vertical flue, I can't do that.

I wonder if there's just too much horizontal pipe? I could reduce it by 2'.

Cheap Chinese stove but it's heating the kitchen, living room, 2 hallways, and the stairwell in an old drafty house, so it's doing it's job...
re-plumb it, so your horizontal pipe is angle slightly upwards. That may solve the issue. If it doesn't, you are probably going to have to move things around, so you have a shorter run on the pipe....

Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Jigabop
Champion

it snowed saturday. GF got 2 inches, I got like 1/4".

still snow on the ground at her place, all gone here... not even a trace of it left.

saw like 5 wrecks on the way home from her place too lol..

truck had zero issues in the snow. in 4x4 under what would be normal acceleration it did fine without traction loss, but being the high powered torque monster that it is, I played a bit and just floored it a couple times...instant traction loss LOL..

makes me glad it is turbo charged because the lag makes it easier to drive in the snow.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
GF got 2 inches, I got like 1/4".

Wow. The door is W-I-D-E open for that one.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
re-plumb it, so your horizontal pipe is angle slightly upwards. That may solve the issue. If it doesn't, you are probably going to have to move things around, so you have a shorter run on the pipe....
Grandfather thinks the stack may not be keeping/getting hot enough to keep the draw right. Also agrees that some uphill on the horizontal run may help.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhmmmm..... so long as the 'exhaust' is hotter than ambient air, it should naturally want to rise. Try just angling the pipe first.... see how that does. If that seems inadequate, could wrap the pipe, but, that will reduce heating efficiency for the house.... (which is the whole idea of having the woodburner in the first place....)

I have even seen heat exchangers right above the woodstove, that would blow out a rather nice warm breeze.... (thus, cooling the exhaust even further....) that didn't have vent problems.....

Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm betting that replacing those 90*s with 45*s will fix it.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread