2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am simply sick of these great 1/2 tons being ragged on. But, comparing what a HD Ford can do to a 1/2 Ram is silly. I specifically said 1/2 tons and the Ford's can't compare. I owned one and liked it, but it couldn't come close to the Dodge in toughness and ability. 6) Sorry I was an ***. I like Fords in general, but truck for truck (1/2 ton to 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton to 3/4 ton, etc) I would take the Dodge every time. My main point was that when it counts, when I need my truck to be there for me and take the abuse I unfortunately impose on my truck(though I maintain it religiously), my Ram has never let me down. I seriously would not trust any other truck the way I trust and count on my truck.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you that these half tons are the best. I wasn't ragging on mine, I was a tad annoyed with a problem. I have put it through quite a bit of abuse that I am sure most other half tons wouldn't take.

I thought you were mixing the dodge and ford up and saying I had a half ton ford lol. Sorry.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Darn.... And I thought I was gonna need some popcorn for this....

Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
...since metric is for loser countries I won't post equivalent kg's, km's, etc...
It's OK, the losers know how to convert Imperial to Metric.
And in case you haven't noticed, there's a whole heap of metric in our beloved "Made in the US of A" RAMS.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we really want to start the metric vs US debate...

Most engineers design in Metric nowadays, US or not. Matter of fact, quite a few of the components on the RAMs would have been designed in Metric. That includes the Cummins turbo diesel. All the cross sections I've got are in metric, most all of my tools are calibrated in Metric, I convert metric to US and vv in my head all the time. All of my CAD software is by default in Metric, and it's all 2010 or newer, except one which is from 1995, and still is Metric by default.

Personally I prefer the metric system. It's easy to convert metric to metric, because everything is based on units of ten, or make it easier, decimal places. But everyone has their own opinion and preference, and we live in a country that uses US, so might as well like it.

Originally Posted by stewie01
^ Darn.... And I thought I was gonna need some popcorn for this....

Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Yep was watching the news the other night and saw the report. It sure does suck that they have to destroy such a rare car like that. I would like to go rescue the darn thing if I could figure out how.

In the news report they stated that the reason why it was being crushed was because some other Vipers were taken out and driven on the road and were in an accident. They didn't say what schools had done this just that it was the reason for the action.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 03-07-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Yep was watching the news the other night and saw the report. It sure does suck that they have to destroy such a rare car like that. I would like to go rescue the darn thing if I could figure out how.

In the news report they stated that the reason why it was being crushed was because some other Vipers were taken out and driven on the road and were in an accident. They didn't say what schools had done this just that it was the reason for the action.
And Chrysler won't risk being sued as it being their fault. Even though it was more than likely just stupid people trying to show off.

It's a shame everything is all about watching your own back these days. But I guess that is just human nature

Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Rebel541
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only a matter of time, so I wish we would just switch over to metric in the US as well. I have done land surveying and construction field engineering for about 20 years now, and I'm always having to convert from tenths of feet into inches for the guys in the field, and it can be a pain. If you think about it, it makes no sense to use a measurement system that changes its base all the time. It takes forever to do all the conversions when you are checking dimensions across a building using 1/16ths, 1/8ths, 1/4ths, 1/2ths, inches (1/12 foot), and feet. Then you go on to acres (208.71, or 208' 8-1/2" square), miles (5,280 feet) and other units based on seemingly arbitrary numbers.
I did a topographical survey for the state of Oklahoma back in the 90's for the planning of a bypass for the thriving metropolis of Poteau, and it had to be done with the metric system. It took a day or two to get our heads wrapped around the new distances we were working with, but then it was easy, and the calculations were much simpler.
Oh well.
/Rant

Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel541
It's only a matter of time, so I wish we would just switch over to metric in the US as well. I have done land surveying and construction field engineering for about 20 years now, and I'm always having to convert from tenths of feet into inches for the guys in the field, and it can be a pain. If you think about it, it makes no sense to use a measurement system that changes its base all the time. It takes forever to do all the conversions when you are checking dimensions across a building using 1/16ths, 1/8ths, 1/4ths, 1/2ths, inches (1/12 foot), and feet. Then you go on to acres (208.71, or 208' 8-1/2" square), miles (5,280 feet) and other units based on seemingly arbitrary numbers.
I did a topographical survey for the state of Oklahoma back in the 90's for the planning of a bypass for the thriving metropolis of Poteau, and it had to be done with the metric system. It took a day or two to get our heads wrapped around the new distances we were working with, but then it was easy, and the calculations were much simpler.
Oh well.
/Rant

Americans (or people in the US) can't even perform elementary mathematical calculations, let alone moving a lousy decimal point for that metric Bee Ess.

One reason I ceased visiting Garage Journal is that it is populated by idiotic Jim Bobs who love to argue how SAE is superior to metric.

Basically a forum full of the following:

Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel541
Oh well.
/Rant
That's because the SAE system is based on random arbitrary things. Look it up something. None of it "standard" at all

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread