2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Chrysler reported they weren't aware of any accidents in the donated vipers. Seems they just feel that they are now too old to be of any educational value...... Not the first time this has happened.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Hmm.. Thought I read an article just a little while ago of one that was out of the classroom and was wrecked....

Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fake.

The gravel/mud is disturbed at the initial off road scene; the number of antennas on the taxi changes; and the cab is surprisingly clean when it arrives in the garage, at the end of the clip.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

^You're next. haha

Old 03-07-2014, 03:02 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Lol yeah! Built Ford tough in Canada! (no offense to Dodge built in Mexico).

Nope carb never causes me trouble as far as cold starting, electric choke works flawlessly. I probably should replace my ignition module, but I'm kinda lazy to yet...

Keep in mind, the more timing advance, the harder the start... I'm running 17* base now, and 35 mechanical/vacuum advance, totalling to 52* timing. i added 2 more degrees to what I'd had before, and I bet that's contributing to it too. I'm also getting alot of alternator feedback in the system, either a bad VR or a poor ground or both...

So it all adds up...

I'm considering selling my engine/trans setup and getting a different engine/trans...

It snowed here, temps been hanging around 20* in the day, got down to -5 the other night, too cold for the time...

Lots of deer too...

Anybody got any suggestions on losing weight?
1) My Dodge and about 2/3 of 98's were built in St Louis, MO-that would be U.S. of A.
2) I have hauled a 13,000 lb(since metric is for loser countries I won't post equivalent kg's, km's, etc) mobile home over Mule Mountain Pass which is 8 miles of hell, topped with a 2 mile 12% grade with my 98 Ram with a 318 and 46RE in July...in Arizona. Don't even pretend ANY F150 could even make it up halfway.
3) I regularly haul a 275 gallon(see #2)-2230 lb(see #2) water tank completely full over the worst dirt roads you can imagine. Again NO F150 of any year could survive this day after day, year after year like my Ram.(I do have Firestone Ride Right airbags)
4) 183,000 miles(see #2) and the following has gone wrong after 16 years of hard use: rear abs sensor, a/c quit. Otherwise typical maintenance.
5) If someone has a lousy Ram 2nd gen it's because a total lack of maintenance; maybe the 1st or 2nd or 5th owner, but these trucks are the best 1/2 ton pickups made. It's why I bought one and trust my life to my Ram as I live WAAAYYYY out in the desert and it is my lifeline, literally. F*ck Ford, f*ck GM. I wouldn't trust any of them to carry a teaspoon of ****, much less the water I need to survive.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a new toy for ice fishing and going to the camp. 1986 Tundra 250 aka The Fundra. Picked it up for $500 runs great and everything works. I used to own one of these and I have regretted selling it ever since. I'd rather have one of these than a newer sled any day. Easy to work on, very light, easy on gas and they go anywhere.

Name:  image_zps47b719f7.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  78.7 KB

Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wellll hell...tell it like it is, don't hold back. lol

Old 03-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
1) My Dodge and about 2/3 of 98's were built in St Louis, MO-that would be U.S. of A.
2) I have hauled a 13,000 lb(since metric is for loser countries I won't post equivalent kg's, km's, etc) mobile home over Mule Mountain Pass which is 8 miles of hell, topped with a 2 mile 12% grade with my 98 Ram with a 318 and 46RE in July...in Arizona. Don't even pretend ANY F150 could even make it up halfway.
3) I regularly haul a 275 gallon(see #2)-2230 lb(see #2) water tank completely full over the worst dirt roads you can imagine. Again NO F150 of any year could survive this day after day, year after year like my Ram.(I do have Firestone Ride Right airbags)
4) 183,000 miles(see #2) and the following has gone wrong after 16 years of hard use: rear abs sensor, a/c quit. Otherwise typical maintenance.
5) If someone has a lousy Ram 2nd gen it's because a total lack of maintenance; maybe the 1st or 2nd or 5th owner, but these trucks are the best 1/2 ton pickups made. It's why I bought one and trust my life to my Ram as I live WAAAYYYY out in the desert and it is my lifeline, literally. F*ck Ford, f*ck GM. I wouldn't trust any of them to carry a teaspoon of ****, much less the water I need to survive.

Countries in red DO NOT use the metric system.

For those of you blinded by so-called US superiority, the total equals three.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by mantisman51

Whoah whoah man. What rock in hell did you dig THIS out from under? Now you got me in the mood... you are entirely out of context in your response.

First off, I DONT have a F150. Those are POS. I have a one ton dually, rated to two 22,000lbs trailer weight. However, that post of mine was referring to the 1996 Dodge Ram W1500HD Custom with a modified carburetted 5.2L engine. I have since fixed those problems in that post.

1. So what? My Dodge was built in Mexico, the Ford was built in Canada. Glad yours is built in the U.S of A.

2. I have towed 18K at interstate speeds with no difficulty with the Ford. I live near no mountains, however I do have some VERY steep hills here. I have no trouble maintaining speed limit on these hills. I also am equipped for high-altitude operation so I am sure it would perform just as well on the mountains. I have a built E4OD and I tow IN OVERDRIVE. I want to see a Dodge 46RE try that and see if it don't fry... the E4OD is designed to tow in overdrive. Wanna argue that? Call up the guy who designed this transmission in the first place. I know him and have asked... Got proof of it too... Transmission temps are 20% cooler when towing in O/D. Don't even pretend a 46RE can do that...

3. I take the Ford off road on a regular basis. I don't even need airbags...

4. 126K miles on the Ford. Over 100K of those was towing a 45 foot 10 horse trailer with 10 horses AND a full living area and tack room. That's right at the rated capacity. And it would haul that load non-stop for over 400 miles in hot summer weather. And then back 400 miles. And then do that twice every week. You wanna tell me that Ford's are POS? Think again... It's still a VERY strong engine, and transmission. Only major problem I've had was a leaking headgasket, which I could have caught in time had I been watching my fluids more closely. BTW it's not a Ford defect. It happens regularly to any brand of engine. I've seen it time and again. It'd be dumb to claim that factory headgaskets don't blow more often than most people know. But, it still runs and I still tow with it. Just needs new bearings, as any engine would that had that happen.

5. I don't have a lousy 2nd gen ram. You are ENTIRELY out of context. I don't know what the hell you were thinking to pull up a post from 3 months ago in the OT thread and not even read the context, which you obviously didn't or else you wouldn't have posted like you did. Yeah I'm upset....

I like my Dodge and I like my Ford. Everyone has different experiences and different tastes/needs. I use both and I love both. They are both just as reliable. Had you not been so far out of context I probably wouldn't even bothered to respond. But there ya go... The Ford has served us faithfully, and I've even had to trust it to get my sister to the ER when nothing else would start or work. Talk about cold -20* outside, sister has pneumonia and asthma acting up really bad, and ambulance can't make it because there is over 4 inches of snow on level B roads. And I had a leaking water pump on the Ford to top off. Thank God for a 1 gallon coolant reservoir.

Here is the context you missed out on... I had trouble cold starting the Dodge back then, found out later it was a failed ignition module... Hence my comment later when I started to suspect the module, that i was too lazy to replace it... I did eventually. Then the water pump discussion is about the Ford F350. 7.5L V8 gasoline. The snowboundrmk refers back to the Dodge issues. Now I would suggest you go back and edit your post with the appropriate context in mind and I will be happy to edit mine as well so it is in context too.

12-07-2013, 08:59 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
1989 Ford F-350
My Garage Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
Truck started like a champ today at -15°F

Haven't tried the Dodge yet, I know it won't start without a booster battery, somewhere I'm missing a ground wire again and these LA ignition systems are extremely sensitive to a poor ground.

The Ford started last night but only after about 2 minutes of cranking. I've got a weak battery and the wrong oil... I've got 20w50 in it and I should have 5w50 or 10w50 in it for wintertime. Otherwise I'm sure it'd start right up.

Gonna be driving the Ford up to town to get it's new water pump. I got a OEM genuine Ford severe duty high-flow water pump to replace the current factory standard flow pump. It's huge and heavy, genuine cast iron and weighs 17lbs! Now THAT's a solid part.

12-07-2013, 12:35 PM
snowboundrmk
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 1500 4x4 RC/SB 5.2

That's one heavy water pump! I was expecting the carburetor to be a problem in the cold before the ignition.

95 Ram 1500 5.2- v8 2500 front coils 265/75 mt's, 5.9 build in progress

Attached Images         

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread