2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 339 Likes on 303 Posts

and I get upset when it is 30 F outside.....lol...cant run, cant work outside, cantr wash the vehicle(s)..hmmmph...I just stay in and drink beer, or hot chocolate and southern comfort.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by stewie01
Alright guys, saw a video someone posted online about a DUI checkpoint on July 4th. Dude pulls up to the officer, has his window down about 2-3", officer asks him to roll it all the way down, kid (21) refuses and starts citing his constitutional rights, welp after enough officers surround his car he finally pulls over, gets out of the car and is questioned by police, they bring a K9 into sniff for illegal drugs, they claim the dog was onto something so they searched the car, found nothing but the guys video camera, which was recording the entire incident, they turned it towards the seat cushion once they found it. They found no drugs or anything and he was eventually let go.

So my question, if you come up to the DUI checkpoint or any police checkpoint, do you simply comply, roll the window ALL the way down, show some I.D. and be on your way?

Or do you bitch about the constitution and get searched?

My personally, I think it's much easier just to comply and not make such a big fuss over nothing.
Do a search on you tube for "checkpoint refusal", tons of videos on it. From what I understand, at any checkpoint, you are not legally reauired to say anything (5th amendment) and they cannot legally search with out cause (4th amendment). BUT, as shown in that particular video, the dogs are trained to act on command. So if they don't naturally "hit" on something, the trainer/owner/cop can command the dog to perform the "act" which indicates it has "hit" something, therefore giving them probable cause to remove you and search. These "checkpoints" are a clear violation of the 4th amendment. How you handle these situations all depends on how willing you are to stand up for your constitutional rights. I'm just glad they don't have any immigration checkpoints around here. Youre best defense is to keep asking "Am I being detained?" and "Am I free to go?" Police or anyone cannot detain you without probable cause.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Yeah I could believe that. It's very rare that it goes below -35 here but when it does, I stay inside lol. When you walk out the door it literally takes your breath away and when you add the wind factor in there, it can be dangerous for any length of time.
I sure don't miss those temps at all, it was +4c/39F yesterday, today its 0c/32F and with that we have sun.

Back when I lived out in Mb (in my younger years) -35c we would suit up get on the sleds (snowmobiles) and go ditch pounding to the small town bars. As a younger person I liked the cold. I think the winters back then where colder/longer and had more snow than what we have been getting over the last few years.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Do a search on you tube for "checkpoint refusal", tons of videos on it. From what I understand, at any checkpoint, you are not legally reauired to say anything (5th amendment) and they cannot legally search with out cause (4th amendment). BUT, as shown in that particular video, the dogs are trained to act on command. So if they don't naturally "hit" on something, the trainer/owner/cop can command the dog to perform the "act" which indicates it has "hit" something, therefore giving them probable cause to remove you and search. These "checkpoints" are a clear violation of the 4th amendment. How you handle these situations all depends on how willing you are to stand up for your constitutional rights. I'm just glad they don't have any immigration checkpoints around here. Youre best defense is to keep asking "Am I being detained?" and "Am I free to go?" Police or anyone cannot detain you without probable cause.
Yep don't have to say a WORD. But if you don't want trouble and don't mind too much that they break your rights, just be nice to them and they'll just wave you by. If you're a hot Texan who defends your rights with a gun, then simply state the facts and be prepared for trouble. Personally the cops around here simply know better than to mess with me so they leave me alone...

Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Cops are more likely to stand around and shoot the **** with me, rather than hassle me about anything. (aside from driving a beast that gets crappy gas mileage....) I know most of them personally, as they were all friends of my brother.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Yep don't have to say a WORD. But if you don't want trouble and don't mind too much that they break your rights, just be nice to them and they'll just wave you by. If you're a hot Texan who defends your rights with a gun, then simply state the facts and be prepared for trouble. Personally the cops around here simply know better than to mess with me so they leave me alone...
It is very beneficial to know your rights as guaranteed by the US constitution. Regardless of what cops say. They are trained to get you to incriminate yourself by answering their questions and they can legally lie to you. Thats why I always answer their question with a question. Another good response: "I dont answer questions". You are not legally bound to answer anyones questions, regardless if they wear a badge or not. I'm by no means "anti-cop", but you gotta know your rights. Plus, ALWAYS video your encounters with any "law" enforcement officer. That is perfectly legal as well, regardless of what they tell you. Back on topic (off topic)...lol

Old 01-04-2014, 04:18 PM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last accident, cop asks was I wearing a belt...........I said yeah, fat lot a good it does, every time I eat Mexican I gain 5 pounds (no ticket), wasn't wearing a seat belt, but gave it a slight spin.

For you guys in Canada, I used to work outside of Chicago and thought it was cold, your winter temps make me appreciative when it's 30*F. It's blue food coloring in the dogs outside water bowls tonight, I'll send the wife out first. K.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy bumper!
Name:  null_zpsef6c935e.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  156.1 KB

Name:  null_zpsaa1dcb8a.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  null_zps4a1e0700.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  127.8 KB

Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pain in the butt just to pop the hood....

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Pain in the butt just to pop the hood....
But a nice place to sit while you work under the hood.....

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread