2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
Everyone bitches about the "blue screen of death" in Windows, but have you ever gotten the "grey screen of death" in Linux? I have. Pretty damn annoying.

And here's my rant:

I like Android phones, I have an Android phone, a Samsung Repp prepaid but still, an Android. And I'm about ready to run the damn thing over with my truck then shoot it. I'm so sick of every time I'm connected to my WIFI when I actually go to use the WIFI it drops connection, my network isn't dropping, it's the farking phone. And I'm sick of every other time I turn on WIFI it shows "Error" and I have to restart the damn phone to get WIFI on.

I swear if the Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm getting does this **** I'm buying a god damn Windows Phone. Fark APPLE.

End rant.
Gray screen of death? Once or twice but only due to my stupidity. I run into MS bluescreens far more often.

Here's a fact: Android uses the Linux kernel.

Right now my phone runs BrewMP, nice, but lacking a lot of features. Next phone I get is gonna be a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Nexus Five.

Stewie01: Beware of custom carrier firmware as well. I had tons of problems on a HTC Merge, with US Cellular's firmware. Flashed it with Verizon firmware, no problems. Why? Verizon left most of the code untouched.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
Gray screen of death? Once or twice but only due to my stupidity. I run into MS bluescreens far more often.

Here's a fact: Android uses the Linux kernel.

Right now my phone runs BrewMP, nice, but lacking a lot of features. Next phone I get is gonna be a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Nexus Five.

Stewie01: Beware of custom carrier firmware as well. I had tons of problems on a HTC Merge, with US Cellular's firmware. Flashed it with Verizon firmware, no problems. Why? Verizon left most of the code untouched.
Yes, the screen will turn grey and sometimes blue, and freeze. Have to restart each time.

However last time it switched to text mode and gave me some error bs but was still froze, here's an example:

Kernel Panic - not syncing - fatal exception in Interrupt
Pid - 0, comm: swapper/0 Tainted
G D 3.2.0-37 generic #58 Ubuntu

and about 20 lines more of random crap then

1609.687879 - panic occurred, switching to text console.

And yes I know Android is basically Linux.

And I'm using U.S Cellular.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
renardk764
Veteran

Everyone bitches about the "blue screen of death" in Windows, but have you ever gotten the "grey screen of death" in Linux? I have. Pretty damn annoying.

And here's my rant:

I like Android phones, I have an Android phone, a Samsung Repp prepaid but still, an Android. And I'm about ready to run the damn thing over with my truck then shoot it. I'm so sick of every time I'm connected to my WIFI when I actually go to use the WIFI it drops connection, my network isn't dropping, it's the farking phone. And I'm sick of every other time I turn on WIFI it shows "Error" and I have to restart the damn phone to get WIFI on.

I swear if the Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm getting does this **** I'm buying a god damn Windows Phone. Fark APPLE.

End rant.
Which phone do you have now? Reason I ask is mine is 2 or 3 years old and I'm running the latest android jellybean. The android developers, cooks or how ever you want to label them are really good about hashing out problems the manufacturers try to hide. Good place to look is the XDA site.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by renardk764
Which phone do you have now? Reason I ask is mine is 2 or 3 years old and I'm running the latest android jellybean. The android developers, cooks or how ever you want to label them are really good about hashing out problems the manufacturers try to hide. Good place to look is the XDA site.
U.S. Cellular Samsung Repp. Comes with Gingerbread EK02. Next phone will be a Samsung Galaxy S3, which I think has the latest and greatest from Android.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
renardk764
Veteran

U.S. Cellular Samsung Repp. Comes with Gingerbread EK02. Next phone will be a Samsung Galaxy S3, which I think has the latest and greatest from Android.

Check here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1404

The Repp is a rebranded Gio. from what I've briefly read you maybe able to get Android ice Cream Sandwich on it.

Caveat- It will void the warranty if you leave it that way. But what's life without taking a few chances? :-)

Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Yes, the screen will turn grey and sometimes blue, and freeze. Have to restart each time.

However last time it switched to text mode and gave me some error bs but was still froze, here's an example:

Kernel Panic - not syncing - fatal exception in Interrupt
Pid - 0, comm: swapper/0 Tainted
G D 3.2.0-37 generic #58 Ubuntu

and about 20 lines more of random crap then

1609.687879 - panic occurred, switching to text console.

And yes I know Android is basically Linux.

And I'm using U.S Cellular.
Try passing this to the kernel before booting: noapci. If that doesn't work try this: apci=off. Should fix it (How do I know? Experience.). At worst it won't hurt anything and takes very little to try.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Check here:

The Repp is a rebranded Gio. from what I've briefly read you maybe able to get Android ice Cream Sandwich on it.

Caveat- It will void the warranty if you leave it that way. But what's life without taking a few chances? :-)
Life is a chance! ICS is great! I've run it in a VM . If I could just find a good office app I would run it as my everyday OS.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.......android jellybean.........
...... Comes with Gingerbread EK02. ....
Check here:

.......Android ice Cream Sandwich .. :-)
I have no earthly ideea what you guys are talking about! My android does NOT provide snacks!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
I have no earthly ideea what you guys are talking about! My android does NOT provide snacks!
ROFL... Android codenames are all foods.... Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jellybean, &c.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
renardk764
Veteran

The thing is, android phone manufacturers quit upgrading their products long before the device is technically unable to handle the software evolutions. Their business model requires new phone sales. The developer community excels at extending the life of these phones and improving user experience. My first generation Samsung Galaxy is running the latest android software and operates better than it did out of the box. If you're using an android phone, it pays to research a bit and see what the android community has to offer. Saved me the better part of a thousand dollars in upgrades.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread