2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdstock

Hmmm... I don't get it....
You've not seen the jokes on here about flipped up tow mirrors and the "invisi-trailer"? Seriously?
So an update (it was too late when I got home form the Capitol last night).

I pulled the steering column and slipped off form the office to go to the dealer on the south end of Austin. After arguing with service writer for over half an hour about them wanting to see a copy of the title, I gave them my insurance card that has my name and my wife's name on it along with the VIN.

They told me they were wanting this to "protect me..." I guess the latest fad for car thieves around Austin is carefully removing a steering column and taking it in to dealer to get ignition switch replaced (even with the key in it).

So I waited in the lounge for an hour and a half for a quote. Finally, the service writer and another person came in and told me they needed to speak to my wife. Now they had no way of knowing, but normally, my wife is the nicest person around. I, on the other hand, am not. But as she was reapply pissed that her car broke, I was the calm one. She believes that when she buys a car new, it should never break.

So I asked them, can you not tell me what it would cost to fix this? And I was rudely told, "about $300."

I promptly picked up my steering column, and responded by saying, "Are you f'n kidding me? I already did the hard part by removing the column!" as I walked out.

I then took the column to a local locksmith and dropped it off as I have meetings at the Capitol. I slipped off about 4:30 and mad a dash back to the locksmith between meetings. He charged me $21.65 to fix it, and no bull smack issue about title.

As it was late last night, I installed it this afternoon in about an hour. Wife is happy again, and South Point Hyundai sucks.
Well, ain't that some ****. So far, I don't like Hyundai dealerships if they are this way:
My girlfriend buys a nice 2010 Elantra from Randal Noe Hyundai, in Longview. Traded in her 90 Old's, she pretty much screwed them over, but their policy is a trade-in of 4 grand regardless of what is being traded in. So she got her 4 grand. Well, I start looking at the car and notice a bunch of wires chewed up in the engine compartment, get after her about taking it back.
They tell her to wrap them with electrical tape and get some Decon rat bait and put it in a PB jar. And they were rude about it, I'm pretty sure they didn't want to do anything because of the trade-in stuff. Weird thing is that they didn't even "offer" to fix it for even a fee. So her step father (who used to be ASE certified) fixed the wires, and put new heat shrink on them. Looks like new. I hate the man, but he did a better job than the dealer would have done. Either way, I'm pretty sure the rodents were in the car on the dealer lot because I highly doubt they would have moved in in a week in her driveway when her Old's sat in-op for long periods of time and never had the issue.

Either way, I won't buy anything from them.

And I'm glad to hear you got your wife's car fixed.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
You've not seen the jokes on here about flipped up tow mirrors and the "invisi-trailer"? Seriously?

And I'm glad to hear you got your wife's car fixed.
But I did not see any tow mirrors! That's what was throwing me.

Thanks. There is very little I cannot fix, therefore very little I will take in to have done. But I was not at the point where I wanted to drill out the lock....yet.

The Hyundai dealer in Abilene was great. Good salesman, great service writer, and great techs. Service isn't a brand thing - but a specific dealership thing. And on your gf's car - they had the $4K built into it. My wife had an Elantra when we got married. I really did not care for it - not used to lower end models. But it was economical and something she could afford when she was single. When she decided to get a new one, she insisted on a Hyundai (over my urging for a Toyota...) so I helped her decide for the higher end, leather, bigger engine.

Dealers have enough room in any deal to fix things. I worked in auto finance and on the floor. But sometimes, good service costs nothing - but can be elusive. I refuse to do business where the service sucks. For anything.... I'll pay more to do business with great customer service.

I went to dealer's website and sent a message about my experience there. About 15 minutes later, Internet Sales Manger sent an e-mail trying to sell me a car. Either the *** cannot read, or they just really do not understand. I thought it was clear when I told them I will not be back, and may never buy another Hyundai.

Last edited by gdstock; 04-30-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

But I did not see any tow mirrors! That's what was throwing me.

Thanks. There is very little I cannot fix, therefore very little I will take in to have done. But I was not at the point where I wanted to drill out the lock....yet.

The Hyundai dealer in Abilene was great. Good salesman, great service writer, and great techs. Service isn't a brand thing - but a specific dealership thing. And on your gf's car - they had the $4K built into it. My wife had an Elantra when we got married. I really did not care for it - not used to lower end models. But it was economical and something she could afford when she was single. When she decided to get a new one, she insisted on a Hyundai (over my urging for a Toyota...) so I helped her decide for the higher end, leather, bigger engine.

Dealers have enough room in any deal to fix things. I worked in auto finance and on the floor. But sometimes, good service costs nothing - but can be elusive. I refuse to do business where the service sucks. For anything.... I'll pay more to do business with great customer service.

I went to dealer's website and sent a message about my experience there. About 15 minutes later, Internet Sales Manger sent an e-mail trying to sell me a car. Either the *** cannot read, or they just really do not understand. I thought it was clear when I told them I will not be back, and may never buy another Hyundai.
The Elantra is a nice car. Considering I'm not much of a Asian fan when it comes to those cars. It's pretty comfy for a small car and has some power. Or at least more than her V6 Old's.

The sales guy told her and her stepdad that he couldn't give them 4 grand for the Old's, and they politely told him what the lady on the phone said. He was apparently visibly disturbed.

Like you said, just because the dealer is bad doesn't mean the brand is bad. Just look at Dodge Canada, they got some sh1tty dealers up there.

One of the shops we use, we use because when they screw up (which sometimes can be bad), they give us stuff. Like I got a new master cylinder for the price of a reman (my truck went through 2 remans in one day). My dad got a new Mopar steering rack for FREE. No labor or anything. They know how much money we've spent there and try to treat us nice. lol

The shop I use for engine work is good, the owner actually was the one who tore down my engine for the plenum work. My trans. shop has been in business for 50 years and knows all the truck transmissions well. It takes some work, but you'll find those jewels in auto shop eventually.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

my aunt got her Hyundai's wheel bearing replaced today and it was covered under warranty.the even replaced the other wheel bearing just in case. dropped it off at the dealership last night and they had it done before noon today and my aunts appointment wasn't until the afternoon.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

My trans. seal and other maintenance was done before 3 the same day when I was told it might have been the next morning.

I was happy.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't think the mechanic would have been happy if we show up a few minutes before the scheduled appointment. i checked the wheel after we got to the dealership and it was burning hot. not quite as hot as the other day when i had to take the wheel off but the stuff does not cool off quick.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm... I don't get it....

Wonder what the difference on SCT X2 and X3 will be? Maybe I should trade up!
Must have been slow moment?

You should upgrade gdstock and let us know if it's worth it!!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OBD2 came into play in 96' correct? I just want to make sure so when I get a 360 I can still tune it with my SCT.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Mopar01
OBD2 came into play in 96' correct? I just want to make sure so when I get a 360 I can still tune it with my SCT.
Your truck has OBD2.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wireless transmitter commonly used in broadcasting.....and it doesn't look like THAT!
They were having technical difficulty with their audio.

That thing looks like a standard hand held wireless microphone to me, why exactly, she stuffed it between her legs and hid it under her dress is a bit beyond me but at least she has nice legs.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread