2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Tarantulas are becoming a problem at my house. I have found 10 in the last week.

This one was right at the front door.
Yep.. I would have to burn my house down...

Old 06-16-2013, 03:18 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know of any other reputable firewalls, like ZoneAlarm? I had to update ZA on my mom's PC and it made me set the search stuff for IE to THEIR page. Now, if you don't use IE, it's not a problem, but that's not my point. I don't like software telling me what pages I can and can't use for search. So, any ideas?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 PM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

They all drop down tool bars and force you to go to some page or see some add. I only use Avast now (free version). Actually have used Avast for the last 4 years. Go to IE and then go to whatever page you want as home and then on the right side top corner click tools then set your homepage.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I understand how fixing IE works. lol I'm not that young. My point is the fact that they MAKE me change stuff in my browser in order to proceed with the wizard.
Anybody heard of this firewall?
http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Fi...-10575187.html

Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Tarantulas are becoming a problem at my house. I have found 10 in the last week.

That's actually really cool. I had one and had to let it go when I got with my girlfriend. She is freaked out by spiders.

That is where I let him go. The picture below is him hanging out on my bed.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have Black widow spiders and dock spiders up here but that thing is just to freaky for my liking.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Anybody know of any other reputable firewalls, like ZoneAlarm? I had to update ZA on my mom's PC and it made me set the search stuff for IE to THEIR page. Now, if you don't use IE, it's not a problem, but that's not my point. I don't like software telling me what pages I can and can't use for search. So, any ideas?
built in firewall in windows? lol

I'm guessing you are more looking for malware protection rather than a firewall...

A firewall really just prevents outside IP's from seeing or accessing your computer without your computer first requesting information from theirs...

most of you already have two firewalls and don't even know it.

windows has a built in firewall that is enabled by default.

also if your computer has a router between your modem and your PC, the router is a hardware firewall that blocks incomming ports by default unless you make exceptions for certain ports to certain inside IP addresses commonly known as port-forwarding.

on windows 7 I use a couple anti-malware softwares that actively scan in the background.

Malwarebytes anti-malware Pro (costs a 1 time fee of something like $20 and updates almost daily with new definitions and actively scans and blocks incoming threats) free version will only do manual scans.

also use microsoft security essentials which is a free download from microsoft and it gets its definition updates via windows update.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Jigabop
built in firewall in windows? lol

I'm guessing you are more looking for malware protection rather than a firewall...

A firewall really just prevents outside IP's from seeing or accessing your computer without your computer first requesting information from theirs...

most of you already have two firewalls and don't even know it.

windows has a built in firewall that is enabled by default.

also if your computer has a router between your modem and your PC, the router is a hardware firewall that blocks incomming ports by default unless you make exceptions for certain ports to certain inside IP addresses commonly known as port-forwarding.

on windows 7 I use a couple anti-malware softwares that actively scan in the background.

Malwarebytes anti-malware Pro (costs a 1 time fee of something like $20 and updates almost daily with new definitions and actively scans and blocks incoming threats) free version will only do manual scans.

also use microsoft security essentials which is a free download from microsoft and it gets its definition updates via windows update.
Guess I'm SOL then. It's my mom's computer, it's got ZA, Malwarebytes, and MSSE on it. Same combo mine has. I think ZA disables the Windows firewall. Either way, I'm not worried about my box, my mother has destroyed a couple hard drives over the years due to massive viruses that required the drives to be completely wiped. I guess I'll just keep using ZA and fix IE.

(don't ask about IE, it's my dad's fault)

Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to switch her to Linux.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:25 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

We also have a lot of black widows, but they're predictable on where they will be. The tarantulas show up in some really random and bad places. Found one in the shower one day.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread