2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Dashboard Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010 | 09:19 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

I wish you luck with your dash, Chrysler's corporate claims dept called me back today and is wanting me to take my truck to the dealer to approve the repair, then to find out what it would cost to let them do it... Will probably still end up doing it myself because I can feel a ripoff coming. Oh well, what can we ever do to combat corporate america??

Old 04-13-2010 | 09:56 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
From: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

So I can ask the dealer for the updated dashes?

Old 04-13-2010 | 11:08 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

According to what the Customer Rep told me, this is the updated part and should not have the cracking issue that our original ones do. Not really sure if that is true as I have not read much about the replacement parts when it comes to the interior. I am just hoping that they will not run me around and waste my time just to give me some insane price when it is all over with. I quote her exact words, "The dealer will have to determine whether or not it was abuse or failure, then we take into account the year and mileage to figure the customer's copay to replace it." What I hear in that is "We don't really want you to take the time to let us run you around with your 11 year old vehicle because we don't intend on covering it anyway..." I made a point that I am very aware of the class action suit that is filed against them for this very reason and she was quick to offer my case manager's name, and even suggested the more helpful dealer to go to. Amazing what can happen when armed with the correct information! They even offered to call me back to confirm the status of my claim if I do not get the chance to call them back first. They still are not out front about the cost but I am still armed with a little bit more to bargain on thanks to all of the good information posted in here. Hopefully it will work out better than I plan, and to think that all of this started by filing a formal complaint in an e-mail!

Old 04-14-2010 | 07:32 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
From: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Oh ok! Thanks!

Old 04-28-2010 | 02:42 PM
slyster

I got on craigslist and found a dash for 80 bucks if I pulled it, so I did, with the help of my 10 year old son. Still haven't worked up the nerve to put it in. Waiting for the weather to warm up. Pretty easy to take out, but I know its ganna be a little tougher to put back in.

Old 04-28-2010 | 03:18 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by slyster
I got on craigslist and found a dash for 80 bucks if I pulled it, so I did, with the help of my 10 year old son. Still haven't worked up the nerve to put it in. Waiting for the weather to warm up. Pretty easy to take out, but I know its ganna be a little tougher to put back in.
*Hint*

Installation is the reversal of removal

Old 04-28-2010 | 06:17 PM
slyster

I haven't pulled the old dash yet, the top just crumbled and fell apart. So thats what I meant by a little tougher to put back in, plus I want to add an extra outlet, do some painting or detailing, and replace the stereo.

Old 04-28-2010 | 06:58 PM
truegent81
Captain

maybe you could look into just getting a cap that is the same color as the dash. i've been a dodge owner for over a year now and i'm pretty disappointed in the quality of some of dodge's products. from the plenum to a dash, wtf is dodge thinking? hopefully the newer models are squared away and only need the basic fix-ups. i was looking to get a cap because i have a feeling when i remove my dash to do the core, it is gonna crack.

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:46 AM
slyster

A cap would work IF i had enough of a dash left to put one on. I'm going to cap the nest dash I put in, right away, to save myself the work later on. I totally agree the dashes suck and I haven't replaced the plenum yet. Thats on the long to do list....

Old 04-30-2010 | 12:43 PM
truegent81
Captain

does anyone have a picture of a cap installed? i would like to see how it looks. does it sit flush? is the color the same as the rest of the front part of the dash? can someone look at it and say, "oh thats a damn cap"?

Quick Reply: 2001 Dashboard Cracks