2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

can you tell me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Shellys4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay here are the under pics

Name:  20100714.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  20100715.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  73.8 KB

Old 07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Stacked blocks. Peachy. Not sure which one is the factory, and which one is the lift...

Old 07-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Shellys4x4
Rookie

okay? is that bad? do I need to get it replaced?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It appears to be working, but, stacking blocks makes me rather nervous. Put enough of a side load on it, and it has the potential to spit one of the blocks out. Usually at the least opportune moment......

Now, keep in mind, the lift company put that lift together, knowing what was already there, and they did it anyway. If it was truly an issue, you would have heard about lawsuits against them, for just such an occurrence as I detailed above. Now, I haven't heard any noise about it, at all... So, one could assume that is was 'safe'......

Another issue I have against blocks stacked like that, (or, even a single block that tall...) is the blocks act as a lever on the spring. The axle is going to try and twist when you put a load on it, and that is going to try and bend your spring into a nice "S" shape. If you do that enough, you might end up snapping leaves.

If you do light off-roading, probably never be an issue. At least, not for quite some time..... If you tend to get into some really gnarly terrain though, the probability starts getting higher. Is it something you have to fix RIGHT NOW!!!! Probably not. But, if it were me.... I would be looking at some method to eliminate at least one of the blocks, if not both.

To dump one, you might be able to substitute an add-a-leaf, so the height stays the same. Another alternative would be to get a spring with a meaner arch, and eliminate the big block, or, an even meaner arch, and eliminate both. The latter would be MY preferred method.

Could investigate the 'shackle flip' as well..... not sure how much lift you get out of doing that... or, what all is involved.

Getting rid of the blocks will have the added benefit of your truck handling better.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Shellys4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It appears to be working, but, stacking blocks makes me rather nervous. Put enough of a side load on it, and it has the potential to spit one of the blocks out. Usually at the least opportune moment......

Now, keep in mind, the lift company put that lift together, knowing what was already there, and they did it anyway. If it was truly an issue, you would have heard about lawsuits against them, for just such an occurrence as I detailed above. Now, I haven't heard any noise about it, at all... So, one could assume that is was 'safe'......

Another issue I have against blocks stacked like that, (or, even a single block that tall...) is the blocks act as a lever on the spring. The axle is going to try and twist when you put a load on it, and that is going to try and bend your spring into a nice "S" shape. If you do that enough, you might end up snapping leaves.

If you do light off-roading, probably never be an issue. At least, not for quite some time..... If you tend to get into some really gnarly terrain though, the probability starts getting higher. Is it something you have to fix RIGHT NOW!!!! Probably not. But, if it were me.... I would be looking at some method to eliminate at least one of the blocks, if not both.

To dump one, you might be able to substitute an add-a-leaf, so the height stays the same. Another alternative would be to get a spring with a meaner arch, and eliminate the big block, or, an even meaner arch, and eliminate both. The latter would be MY preferred method.

Could investigate the 'shackle flip' as well..... not sure how much lift you get out of doing that... or, what all is involved.

Getting rid of the blocks will have the added benefit of your truck handling better.

okay, defiantly got me thinking... My brother works at a shop so I will swing it by there and throw those ideas at them...

Last edited by Shellys4x4; 07-11-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the lower one the one that is on the axle was added looks to be 2in,,,,, the one with the traiagle is factory

i would take out the 2in,, and replace with a aal,,, or shorter shackle or take both out and put in a 5in block

Old 07-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup those top blocks would be the stockers I would say. My blocks have that same triangle piece on the sides as well. Yours look to be 4" on top and 2" bottoms

Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The triangle piece is the bump stop......

Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not a fan of stacking blocks or really in using any more than 4" of block. With normal driving you'll probably be fine, but off-roading, hauling a lot of weight in the bed that would exert an awful lot of torque on that simple U-bolt or heavy towing I have seen it be a MAJOR issue.

Lot of farm boys in Georgia lift their trucks WAY up and do so in the most inexpensive way they can, which would be stacking blocks in the rear. Seen more than one broken leaf and twisted U-bolt when they use these trucks for heavy farm work...

Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most of what has been said, IIRC the stock 2500 block was a 5in block which would be the top one and it looks like either a 2in or 3in block added to it, if it was me I would weld the blocks together as a temp fix and be checking on the U-bolts to make sure they dont loosen.

Looking that your from Cali I'm assuming that this truck will see sand dunes at some points in its life so I would change out the blocks with a rearched spring pack that provides 5in of lift and then getting a Addaleaf to get back to the same height.

Now from the picture of the front it doesnt look like you have a spacer on the springs which if you dont I would say that they may be 3in lift springs since the truck sits level