2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Newbie needs help poss plenum fixx?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 PM
98RAMIT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Newbie needs help poss plenum fixx?????

Hello to all mopar fans, i am new to posting but not to this forum if i step on your toes, tell me.
my diag flashed a code p0171, right bank lean. my ram is running FANTASTIC at 75 then starts the massive bogging down on acceleration within 20 miles it gets to the point you cant even put the truck in low gear and nures it up to speed. i had to have my truck towed home, lucky for me it was a dodge tow that got me home. after the first code read i did it never gave that or any other code agian. my first thought is of course a bad vac leak i ckd everything i could get my hands on,nothing found next option is a bad plenum gasket, i looked into the tb saw some liquid in there didnt look like oil. i swabbed the bottom of the intake with a qtip and a long screw driver it was gas. now i did remove my iat sensor that had a good coating of oil on it??????????
right now my dodge is not drivable except in an out of the garage. and i sure dont want to tear it apart only to find it was some other minor thing. truck is power programmed hypertech been that way for three years. ill list rest of my mods and pics when i get it running (and i dont feel like setting it on fire)
ANY AND ALL HELP IS VERY WELCOME

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Pull out your pre-cat O2 sensor, and take the truck for a test drive. (yes, it will be a tad loud.....) See what happens.

If that works, your cat is plugging up.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
98RAMIT
Smile

ill try it now, let ya know in a bit THANK YOU

Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
98RAMIT

Ill give it a try thank you!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
98RAMIT

cant go for a drive right now, watching the kiddos . i did pull the pre o2 out. before it would not rev above 3000rpm with out chocking down but it revs to red line now!!!!!!!!! i did also find the pre o2 wires were bare and twisted up, could that be it???????? no code though , i did spread them out when i ran the engine. its doing better than before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 98RAMIT
cant go for a drive right now, watching the kiddos . i did pull the pre o2 out. before it would not rev above 3000rpm with out chocking down but it revs to red line now!!!!!!!!! i did also find the pre o2 wires were bare and twisted up, could that be it???????? no code though , i did spread them out when i ran the engine. its doing better than before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is definitely a problem. Wanna fix that ASAP. I don't think they were shorting together though, I would like to think that would set a code right quick.

What did the sensor look like? Might be time for a new one.......

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
98RAMIT

bad!! getting a new one tommorow. the past o2 replaced a year ago still looks good...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
98RAMIT

mabey that po171 code was a result of the bad wires, it only came on once.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Slam the new one in there, and then see how it drives.... O2 sensor can have a pretty big impact on driveability.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you try the old one back in there after separating the wires? Could still be a plugged cat, might not hurt to try it...

welcome to df!

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help poss plenum fixx?????