2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

*Update* Truck for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just keep it too. As soon as you sell it you'll regret it.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
I'd just keep it too. As soon as you sell it you'll regret it.
More than likely, thanks for all the advice guys.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

dont get me wrong it does look like great running truck, and im not trying to put it down...

but like with mine, i have like 7K invested...no visable rust, its all been patched, ALOT of extras, new T-case, rebuilt trans, 4.10's, new tires ($750 alone) and id be lucky to get $2K out of it....

its just how things are now a days....even if i wanted to sell my truck, id take a MAJOR loss regardless of how i look at it...and if i get another vehicle, i dont know whats been done, and it may need alot of stuff..

so its better to keep the truck since you KNOW whats wrong with it...its better then buying a vehicle you know nothing about, and have no idea what could go wrong...

Im keeping my RAM until it dies UNLESS i get what I want for it, which is a longshot..I'd want a minimum of $2800 for mine, but i know no one will pay that...So im going to buy a car when i have the money, and then park my RAM, and build it up into a mud truck.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:14 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
its just how things are now a days....even if i wanted to sell my truck, id take a MAJOR loss regardless of how i look at it...
It's always been this way. If you want to make money selling cars that you own, buy a dealership.

If you're not a dealer or a collector, cars are not financial investments. They're just tools. What matters when you're comparing vehicles that are equivalent in class and perfectly suitable to your needs is cost per mile. Model year means nothing except as it pertains to insurance costs and the costs and availability of maintenance and repair costs.

In my own case, I could have bought an equivalent 2010 model on the same day I bought my 1998. Outfitting them the same afterward, I'd have twice the money in the '10 as in the '98. Three times as much if I'd been screwy enough to buy the '10 on credit. Since I intend to keep the truck until my driving days are through, the '98 is a clear winner on that count, because in 2035 it'll be a rarer vehicle considered an iconic industry-shaker while the '10 would be just a generic used truck. The '98 will be selling for more than its original sticker price, while the '10 will be selling for about 10% of its original sticker price.

Using the round numbers I pulled out of my backside (500,000 miles over 30 years, anticipated sell price as above), the 2010 would have to cost me six cents or more per operational mile less than the 1998 just to break even. The 2010 can't do that -- because of insurance costs in the first ten years of ownership, the 2010 costs more per operational mile.

Besides, in the year 2030 I'll still be driving an iconic industry-shaking 2nd gen Ram, not just another generic used truck. That's going to be worth more than the market value all by itself. These darn things are good looking trucks. The new ones? They're just new. A 2010 bought last year would be no newer to me today than the '98 I've got.

Anyway, no matter how you slice it, vehicle ownership is an expense. You'll never get your investment back unless you're a dealer or collector. It's always been this way. Enjoy your truck for what it is and get rid of it when you can get more enjoyment out of something that can replace it.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Seth_787446
Professional

Well I'm not trying to make money on it like selling for a profit, I just don't want to let it go for next to nothing is all. But like 95RAM360 said just keep it and turn it into a muddin truck sounds good to me hahaha

Quick Reply: *Update* Truck for sale