2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

Lowering a 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any problem doing this, but since lifting a ram 4wd 2 inches moves the axle back and over about 3/4 of an inch, lowering it should do the same thing...but in the opposite directions.
I've never been a fan of cutting springs either. It changes the spring rate and usually in a bad way. Surely someone makes a drop spring.
Lastly, I guess you'll be driving this on uber smooth roads because you won't have much rebound without the possiblity of contact where you wouldn't want it.
And without that, I have to believe it's not the best idea on an Sfa truck. There's just too much iron there getting in the way of other stuff. I see modded crossmmebers and adjustable perhaps modded track bars to make things right.
I've read in forums where guys have successfully lowered 4th gen trucks. SO it can be done, although again having no ground clearance in deep snow pretty much sticks anyone.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
DodgeGuy12
Amateur

Thanks for all the info guy! It's much appreciated. I've seen lowering kits for 4th gen Rams, but not 2nd. Not as popular I guess.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM
DodgeGuy12
Amateur

The 2WD's sit lower than the 4WD, right? Think I can just use 2WD coils and suspension for the front?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Coils, maybe. Anything else? Nope. Not without a LOT of fab work.

Why not just buy a 2wd truck?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cruizer
The 2WD's sit lower than the 4WD, right? Think I can just use 2WD coils and suspension for the front?
I honestly don't believe you'll be able to do that. 2wd coils are way too short.

Here's what you could do without ghettoing up the works...which would be to fab up an crossmember system that would adapt a 3rd or 4th gen IFS front diff to the 2nd gen frame rails. That way you could use the correct control arms and a coil over suspension that is infinetly more adjustable and adaptable (to being lowered) then a solid front axle.
If done right (is there any other way?) this would be a unique and safe way of doing the job, plus it would be lower or could be lower than you could ever put the truck now, and not ride like a kidney jarring stagecoach.
Another way would be to use 2nd gen Durango pieces because they would aleady be adapted to a magnum engined drivetrain.. You'll need longer CV axles and probably later model control arms and spnidles.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:49 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
I honestly don't believe you'll be able to do that. 2wd coils are way too short.

Here's what you could do without ghettoing up the works...which would be to fab up an crossmember system that would adapt a 3rd or 4th gen IFS front diff to the 2nd gen frame rails. That way you could use the correct control arms and a coil over suspension that is infinetly more adjustable and adaptable (to being lowered) then a solid front axle.
If done right (is there any other way?) this would be a unique and safe way of doing the job, plus it would be lower or could be lower than you could ever put the truck now, and not ride like a kidney jarring stagecoach.
Another way would be to use 2nd gen Durango pieces because they would aleady be adapted to a magnum engined drivetrain.. You'll need longer CV axles and probably later model control arms and spnidles.
That would be pretty snazzy, you would also get Rack and Pinion Steering.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
DodgeGuy12
Amateur

Why can't this stuff be simple. Ugh. Thanks for all the advise. I think I'll just leave it as it. Boo.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 4WD