2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Strange Revving in Neutral/Park?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 AM
canela
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Revving in Neutral/Park?

Not entirely sure if this goes here, but I've been reading quite a bit. Feel free to smack my hand guys if I'm in the wrong section!

I finally returned to the world of Mopar after a 6 year stint in a Ford Focus ...and I'm loving having my truck back (1500 Ram Sport with the 360). BUT.... I've noticed a few odd quirks about it. I've had the truck less than a week, and she's started to rev pretty high in neutral or park - but the RPMs always drop back down as soon as I put it in drive. Today, she started to buck a bit and refuse to upshift without taching out near 3k or higher, and when the shift finally occurs it is jarringly harsh. I managed to get it to shift up by switching off the overdrive, but at slower city speeds that method didn't work - I had to take my foot off the throttle completely, then floor it to get it to shift. This truck drove beautifully for me just a few days ago, but now this.

I'm at a loss. Wondering if all of this could be caused by a faulty TPS? I'm not getting any codes, the fuel mileage is a bit low, but I'm not expecting miracles from this truck.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you are in the wrong section.

But in all seriousness, it very well could be the TPS. There is a way to test them but I don't know the procedure. It involves and volt meter and a bit of patience.

What you could also do, to help everything out, do a full tune-up and check your plenum.
BTW whats your MPG?

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 AM
canela

Haha...I just knew I'd post in the wrong spot! Guess it's time to get my hair highlighted again so I can blame it on a blonde moment...

Technically this truck is under quasi-warranty through the dealer I bought it from (or more, my financing company), but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty either if it ends up cheaper than my deductible. When I got the truck it was showing around 9.5mpg on the overhead, I cleared it, filled it up and ran a tank and got around 11mpg with a lot of highway driving with the cruise on as much as possible.

Got a call into the dealer now, hoping they'll honor taking a look at it under their pre-sale used vehicle inspection since it's been less than a week.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canela
Haha...I just knew I'd post in the wrong spot! Guess it's time to get my hair highlighted again so I can blame it on a blonde moment...

Technically this truck is under quasi-warranty through the dealer I bought it from (or more, my financing company), but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty either if it ends up cheaper than my deductible. When I got the truck it was showing around 9.5mpg on the overhead, I cleared it, filled it up and ran a tank and got around 11mpg with a lot of highway driving with the cruise on as much as possible.

Got a call into the dealer now, hoping they'll honor taking a look at it under their pre-sale used vehicle inspection since it's been less than a week.
That's provided they will even be able to fix it.
9.5 mpg is kinda low. 2WD or 4x4?

Try pulling one of the spark plugs and see how old it is and the manufacter.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

How many miles on it? Wonder if your plenum is blown, you should be able to do better than that on gas.....

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
canela

It's a 2WD, 74k miles on the odo. Truck was used as a toy hauler (full tow package and you can see where it used to have a 5th wheel hookup), full tune up done at the dealer pre-purchase (though I'll still pull a plug tonight and see what brand they used...I did get it from a Ford dealer after all).

I wouldn't imagine the plenum gasket would have any bearing on my shifting problem, but now that you mention it I probably should pull the air cleaner and take a look down there. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

How the engine runs can make a great deal of difference in how the trans shifts.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How many miles on it? Wonder if your plenum is blown, you should be able to do better than that on gas.....

+1........

As far as shifting goes that could be TPS, but, more than likely the governor solenoid and pressure switch/transducer needs replacing.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM
canela

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How the engine runs can make a great deal of difference in how the trans shifts.
Touche!!

I pulled the mpg's again when I was out for lunch today. Right now I'm currently running at about 14mpg on 1/4 tank down from my fill, so it seems like my mileage is getting better and better, but I'm still going to take a look and see if that plenum might be fubared.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you going by what the overhead is telling you?

Quick Reply: Strange Revving in Neutral/Park?