2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

WOOT! Just scored a Spectre CAI for $100

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

PCV systems draws fresh air in from just after the air filter, (when it was stock anyway....) circulates it thru the engine, and sucks it into the intake, where it is ran thru the cylinders, and out the exhaust. PCV is IMPORTANT in how your engine runs. By drawing a slight vacuum on the crank case, it helps the piston rings seal better, and it draws the stuff that DOES get past the rings OUT of the crank case, so it doesn't contaminate your oil..... You WANT this system working right. If you don't have a spot to run the hose that draws fresh air in to, just get a filtered breather to plug into that side of the valve cover. The PCV valve goes to a port on the side of the manifold. There will be a sticker under the hood somewhere, that shows how it should look.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your PCV valve is on the passenger valve cover and from the pics you have it installed without problems. You have put a breather on the drivers side valve cover and your good with that.

I dont think adobedude completey read the posts

Your plugging the tube coming of the air intake(the spectre part) since you installed a breather on the drivers valve cover, the pcv should not be touched at all.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Your PCV valve is on the passenger valve cover and from the pics you have it installed without problems. You have put a breather on the drivers side valve cover and your good with that.

I dont think adobedude completey read the posts

Your plugging the tube coming of the air intake(the spectre part) since you installed a breather on the drivers valve cover, the pcv should not be touched at all.
ok thanks redhead. so i'll just plug the small tube on the chrome part of the spectre intake like you said.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Gradshemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i just got the sport hood on my 05 1500 5.7 and i already have a cold air intake. but im looking for like a ram air style that will work with the hood scoop and ideas???

Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Gradshemi, your in the wrong section, post over in the 3rd gen section and they will be able to help you

Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
ok one of you is telling me to plug it and the other is saying to plug it in the manifold. which is it?
It is the PCV valve. That should hook to the INTAKE MANIFOLD.

You need to have a breather on the opposite side of that. Just get a cheap chrome one that fits in the hole. Don't worry about drilling that into your CAI. Just get the aftermarket breather.

IMPORTANT:

If you are running the PCV valve and have the other side closed off, you will blow oil out of your dipstick tube ebcause the crankcase will not ventilate (PCV means positive crankcase ventilation)

Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
It is the PCV valve. That should hook to the INTAKE MANIFOLD.

You need to have a breather on the opposite side of that. Just get a cheap chrome one that fits in the hole. Don't worry about drilling that into your CAI. Just get the aftermarket breather.

IMPORTANT:

If you are running the PCV valve and have the other side closed off, you will blow oil out of your dipstick tube ebcause the crankcase will not ventilate (PCV means positive crankcase ventilation)
ok so another vote to take it from the cai to the manifold.

redhead what say you? 2 people are saying take it to the mani and you say plug it as is on the CAI.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
ok here are 2 pics from when i first got the truck. the passenger side valve cover has something coming out with a tube attached

and the drivers side does but i've since put an aftermarket mini breather in there. it did just have a cap and a small cut hose on it (which probably was at one point connected to the drivers side of the box you see in the beginning of the video i posted above)

Have any of yall looked at his picture his pcv is hooked up thats not his problem.

Im talking about the spectre intake that has a small tube that is open after the filter(letting in unfiltered air), he said he already put a breather on the other side....it is not just plugged.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just hook the PCV back up the way it was... Use your imagination and come up with a way to hook it back up.

Here is a pic of what i did, this pic is when it was a work in progress... but you get the idea.. And if you have a open hole right there... plug it up

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMAG0130.jpg

Last edited by candymancan; 07-24-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by candymancan
Just hook the PCV back up the way it was... Use your imagination and come up with a way to hook it back up.

Here is a pic of what i did, this pic is when it was a work in progress... but you get the idea.. And if you have a open hole right there... plug it up

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMAG0130.jpg
thats the thing! there was no pcv hooked up to the stock box when i got the truck.

like i said im guessing that the hole in the stock air box (see first 2 seconds of video) goes to the drivers side valve cover since at the time there was only a cut off piece on the valve cover. i've since added an aftermarket breather in said valve cover.

now, like readhead said, look at the passengers side valve cover. that looks to be the pcv valve and it is hooked up.

who'da thunk that a simple cold air intake would yield so many different thoughts on what to do

Quick Reply: WOOT! Just scored a Spectre CAI for $100