2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Possible farewell to truck, and OT question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Possible farewell to truck, and OT question

well this weekend i have some people probably comming to buy my truck...they are comming from 3 hours away, they know what it needs, and are very interested, so its probably going to be sold...cant keep up with the repairs anymore...im very very very very sad to possibly see it go, but it will fix my constant headache ive had with it.

but i have a car im buying from my buddy, and hopefully you guys can help me out. its a 96 chevy corsica 3.1L, and i got a new battery for it and its ran fine. well today something weird happened. i start it, it runs for about 5 seconds then stalls out, and you can hear it chug out air. fuel pump kicks on everytime. But when you give it gas it stalls right out as well, and will not start if your foot is on the gas...but if you dont have your foot on the gas it starts for 5 seconds everytime and dies out with the exhale of air sound when it stalls....could this be the fuel pump even though you can hear it kick on everytime you cycle the key....and the oil has a hint of gas smell...fuel pressure regulator? dumping to much gas into the cylinders? any help would be great,

Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASEEEE don't sell you ram!!!! You will regret it bud!! Further more you will receive a bunch bashing from us you do sell it! jk of course.. Sorry to hear Don't the chevy's have a computer controled choke? Could be sticking...

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i am getting rid of the truck, it needs to go, im sick of dumping money that i dont have into it...i think the rear end it shot, frame needs work, tons of odds and ends need work, cant do it anymore...

BUT come tax time im buying a newer RAM, so its only temporary

and its a mechanical tb on the corsica

Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just by chance could it be bad fuel? I got a bad tank the other week... Check your IAT? MAF/MAP..

Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
lane
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you're dumping one headache for another!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by lane
sounds like you're dumping one headache for another!

I agree.

I would definitely sell the Ram. Sounds like it's become more trouble that it's worth. If it has frame problems/damage/rot, than it's probably not worth fixing either.

However, I would be more inclined to dump money into the truck, than into that Corsica....

Truck has a higher return on investments in my opinion, so check the Corsica over pretty well before you get it.

-JT

Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM
JackJ
Captain

I would clean the MAF first, make sure it is not all gumned up. Or spray some ether down the TB so see if it runs like that, if it runs until that is burned up then I would assume a fuel supply issue.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Check the fuel pump relay on the Corsica.

Keep in mind, the chevy 3.1 liter engine is famous for oil leaks from every available gasket surface......

Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

yea my RAM has some frame rot right where the sway bar bolts to it, the bends in the frame right there are pretty much shot...

and the corsica only has to last me 3-4 months until i buy another vehicle.

i have checked it ALL over, and theres really no rust on it at all, just has 1 bad brake line, needs rear shocks and wiper blades for inspection, body is mint on it, no dents or scratches, paint is a tad bit faded, but a nice cleaning will do it good.

And his family mechanic changed the motor 18K ago with a motor that had 74K, so the motor has roughly 92K, and the oil is at perfect level and looks clean, could use some valve cover gaskets though, not a bad oil leak, but change it before its to late...

and i think it is the fuel, because the 5 seconds it does run, if you hit the gas it will stall right out. the motor sounds mint, and i had it running last week and it ran for like a half hour with no stumbles, revved it up and it sounded great.

Car has been sitting a year and a half so im going to try putting some good gas in since her since it has under 1/4 tank, but i remember the fuel guage has been wrong on him before...its my best friend of 20 years, ive known him since i was 3, and he said that if it cost to much to repair...if i find more...he'll give me my money back... and maybe its out of gas lol, i just thought of that, i remember he ran out of gas at a 1/4 tank once.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

yea i just called him, i said "hey isnt your gas guage off a little bit" and he said "yea it might be out of gas, same thing happened when i ran out, its best to keep it above 1/4 tank"

so tomorrow im going to put some gas in it and see what happens

Quick Reply: Possible farewell to truck, and OT question