2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Herculiner on bottom half of truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011 | 01:52 PM
formerkingoftheroad1999

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
I did it and then some lol, still workin on it too. And formers right, it does take forever
STILL working on it......the stuff I used is actually called Dupli-Color. Works awesome! Since I was going to do so much I did a couple test runs on sheet metal. So far this is what has worked best for me: a simple wood chisel initially for the large pieces of rust, orbital sander where ever it can reach, wire wheel with cordless drill for harder to reach, and Scotch Bright pad for hardest to reach places mostly where there was no rust and just needed to rough the surface.
You probably already know this but the prep work is the whole key for this stuff lasting forever; and I think it will. I used 2 coats and I honestly wouldn’t be afraid to throw rocks at it. I'm half done.....I did the driver’s side first.
This all started when I hit a deer (my 3rd deer in 18 months and of course a couple months after I dropped my full coverage insurance). This latest deer did 3 times the damage of the others. I refused/couldn’t pay around $4000-$6000 even after shopping around. In their defense though, there was a ton of damage (a/c condenser, transmission cooler, 4-piece bumper, fender flares, splash shields, grill, bumper brackets, frame straightening, and several other things. Even took out my shift actuator on the front axle. From now on, all deer will be shot on sight (except for any buck that has the potential to record score and end up on my wall.)

Does anyone know why my driver’s side would be so terribly rusted and the passenger side have so little?

Old 10-02-2011 | 02:27 AM
formerkingoftheroad1999

Originally Posted by VinsBlackRam
i did it to my truck. i dont have anypics of my new truck up but it looks good. i did the 2 tone bedliner and did the back bumper and the bottom plastic peice on the front bumper. looks good and is tuff stuff. do it!
I still have the original factory muffler and it's in great shape with a little rust starting to form. What's everyone's opinion on putting a couple coats on the first 18 inches of the muffler (the part that shows)? Do you think it would hold up or just make a lot of smoke as it slowly burns off? I would prep it well but I am fearful that I would create what would look like an engine that's burning oil as it would slowly burn off as well as the possible annoying smell? I've used it on other parts of my truck and love it! In my opinion, I don't think it would work. Just want to see what the rest of you think.
B

Old 10-02-2011 | 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Bad idea. The muffler gets hot. God only knows what fumes that stuff puts off when it burns.......

Old 10-03-2011 | 05:05 PM
formerkingoftheroad1999

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bad idea. The muffler gets hot. God only knows what fumes that stuff puts off when it burns.......
That's kind of what I was expecting.......I know it won't have the same texture but my Dad just repainted his woodstove and had some spray paint left over......I might give that a shot........

Old 10-03-2011 | 07:04 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

yea i just used the cheap roll on stuf from autozone, ive seen that stuff hold together just as well as the more expensive stuff

Old 10-04-2011 | 01:26 PM
formerkingoftheroad1999

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
yea i just used the cheap roll on stuf from autozone, ive seen that stuff hold together just as well as the more expensive stuff
Thanks man......seems like mine's coated with dust or mud 90% of the time anyway so it was more of a preservation thing than a looks thing....

Do you or anyone else that reads this have any idea where to get cheap tires? I don't mean cheap quality, just price. I think I got spoiled with my last 2 sets of 4 since I was able to find "take-offs" once and "blems" the next time. Paid $71 a piece for 315/75/16. Couldn't believe it! I can't drop $900-$1300 right now. Not sure why there's no more blems or take-offs out there. Maybe because there are so many more 17"s and 19"s now......who knows? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
B

Old 10-05-2011 | 10:15 PM
DoubleL24
|
Professional

Originally Posted by formerkingoftheroad1999
Thanks man......seems like mine's coated with dust or mud 90% of the time anyway so it was more of a preservation thing than a looks thing....

Do you or anyone else that reads this have any idea where to get cheap tires? I don't mean cheap quality, just price. I think I got spoiled with my last 2 sets of 4 since I was able to find "take-offs" once and "blems" the next time. Paid $71 a piece for 315/75/16. Couldn't believe it! I can't drop $900-$1300 right now. Not sure why there's no more blems or take-offs out there. Maybe because there are so many more 17"s and 19"s now......who knows? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
B
treadwright.com They are recaps but come with 2yr/24000 mile warranty. Read alot of good reviews on them. Pretty cheap

Old 06-30-2012 | 11:08 AM
Bad_Moose
Rookie

Lets see some pictures

Old 06-30-2012 | 05:39 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

9 month old thread, it's a bit late for that bub

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:17 AM
Bad_Moose
Rookie

Never too late for pictures.

Quick Reply: Herculiner on bottom half of truck?