2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Locker install

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 PM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker install

So I'm planning on going to this event tomorrow...http://lcor.ticketleap.com/neojamboree/

Didn't want to deal with the vacuum CAD not working on the trails so I changed it so it is permanently engaged (see trail repair below). Also with the Aussie locker I'm about to put in, in the morning I don't want half the locker bypassing or slipping cause of the way our CAD disengages the front axle.

I will be sure to update everyone on the experience with the front end setup this way.

Trail Repair - http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/
If you do damage the vacuum line, an easy way to re-engage the front axle is to remove the housing. After removing the vacuum motor, reinstall it but, instead of engaging the fork between the e-clips, install the farthest clip so that it pushes on the fork. This way the spring that otherwise holds the axle disengaged now holds it engaged. When reinstalling the motor, make sure to slide the sleeve over manually or you'll never reattach everything. You may need to raise the right tire and turn it to align the splines. Depending on how you're oriented, you may loose a significant portion of your axle fluid when you remove the housing so be prepared to top off the axle fluid.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Update... The trail ride was fun. I did the trail repair on the CAD and blocked off the vacuum ports. Worked well, no complaints. Didn't really notice a gas mileage drop. Also the 4wd light isn't on with this mod but didnt worry. Just throw her in 4hi and no waiting and hoping the CAD locks.

Found an article on how to get the cross pin out and was more involved than I had time for this past weekend, so it's on this weekends to do list. Will get tested out the following weekend at Yankee Lake.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant wait to get my locker in. Its in a box waiting to go in.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:47 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Been a while but got locker in today. Trial run tomorrow. We'll see how streetable it still is, lol

Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Are you going trail running tomorrow or just going to try it on the street?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Street only. Trail and mudding scheduled 10/29 at Yankee Lake.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

let me know how it goes. I need to put mine in.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:06 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Drove around the city running errands and didn't even notice the locker was there. Drove like normal. I now a lot of people complain about the sound of them clicking/ratcheting, but if it was there's no hearing it over the radio and exhaust, lol. Also this is with the axle running live with C.A.D engaged from mod a week ago.

Next is the trail run in a few days. We'll see how well I can turn when 4HI is engaged.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

I wonder what it will do with the cad unlocked? The Manuel that came with my lock-right says it fine but I wonder how it will feel.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Not sure with the cad unlocked. I would think it should be fine. I did the mod just cause I didn't want to spend the money on a manual cable and the vacuum is unreliable at times.

I don't think you'll notice its there until you kick into 4HI. That's what I'm waiting to find out.

Quick Reply: Locker install